Skip to main content

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

Been a while . . . I’ve read some of the comments just to see what progress has been made and while some of you, if not many of you, are managing to get your system(s) working, I’m still stuck with four Play 1 bricks. My Sonos system is up to date, I’ve followed all the procedures Sonos has outlined for Mac users to connect to their local library and the results are always the same - no indexing.

What’s the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? Except now, I no longer expect my system to function. Maybe I’m sane after all!

I admire the perseverance of those still hanging in there.

With Play:1s, you should be able to downgrade them to S1 using the tool now included in the app, and use the S1 controller app to operate them, and wave goodbye to the S2 issues. 

Rhonny - tried that, and this is what I get:

Could it be that because my four Play1s were updated to the new app, that they will not function on S1?

You need to use the downgrade tool in the S2 app (i.e. in the latest app) to downgrade the speakers from S2 to S1 before you can use the S1 app.

Just out of curiosity… has there been any progress in restoring the Sonos playlists/queue editing and related functions in the new app?

Just a status check here, not an attempt to stir the pot.

Rhonny - tried that, and this is what I get:

Could it be that because my four Play1s were updated to the new app, that they will not function on S1?

The advice you have received is correct, assuming you can get access to your play 1 units long enough to do the revert to S1.

Thereafter, you need to ensure you stay there, though I am not sure that those units will automatically move from S1 to S2 as your play 1 units seem to have.

So, when I say I don't care who “owns” the problem, I mean I care only about who “fixes” the problem. And so far that person has yet to emerge.

@Toolio Interesting back and forth, and I agree with this summary of your views; anyone that has laid out a lot of money and has been denied the peaceful use of what that has yielded since May would think no different.

The Spence talk was aimed primarily at investor/analysts, and although it now prevents Sonos apologists here from chanting their usual worn out refrain that the problem is with user networks, it is a matter of too little too late where such affected users are concerned, who, at a minimum need to see a line in the sand date by which their systems will be restored to pre May 1 status, a date that is so sacrosanct that if not achieved, Spence will resign, with some of his tech senior reports. 

It is quite likely that such a date exists internally between Spence and the Board of Directors.

Such a commitment and consequence of failure would be a falling on the sword - his talk to analysts is far from being such, as is being described by some.

You need to use the downgrade tool in the S2 app (i.e. in the latest app) to downgrade the speakers from S2 to S1 before you can use the S1 app.

@Corry P Sonos know how many units capable of being revived to full S1 functionality are out there today, that are not on S1, by following the quoted advice expanded in some detail, with some caveats. Unless a comprehensive fix to the new app is expected to be in place in a matter of just a few weeks, why isn’t this advice being sent to all such as an interim solution to get music going in part if not all of their homes? Above your pay grade probably, but deserving of an answer, perhaps from Spence on his present day lectern, Reddit?!

Ditto recommending the use of Sonophone for all for whom that will work as an interim solution?

Edit: I say this knowing that S1 has worked flawlessly from before May 1 till today, and is not hamstrung by all the Sonos antics around the new app, as S2 is claimed by Spence to be, on Reddit.

No personal experience of Sonophone though.

Thank you . . . but to be clear, according to the Sonos directions (https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/downgrade-a-sonos-product-to-s1) each Play 1 speaker has to be factory reset as the initial step of “downgrading”, then each speakers software has to be downgraded to S1 software, and then each speaker must be added to the Sonos 1 app and controller. Correct?

Which means after doing all the app upgrades which have resulted in my system not working since early May, I (not Sonos) have to do several more steps to revert to S1 to get my speakers back to basic functionality.

Hmmmm . . . 

I (not Sonos) have to do several more steps to revert to S1 to get my speakers back to basic functionality.

Hmmmm . . . 

I can’t comment on the steps because I never moved to S2; what I can say is that S1 is far from basic functionality where audio is concerned, and lacks little that is there in S2.

Which lack in S2 is a Pandoras box of its own.

I'd say the other thing that is certain us that Sonos [ ] refuses to take full responsibility

That’s not really true though is it? The CEO has owned this.

My memory is not as good as it was, but back in May I seem to recall that the CEO was doing anything but owning the problem. While he may have been forced to modify his stance since then due to customer pressure and adverse press comment I feel that the initial attitude of Sonos to their purchasers is the root of much of the animosity directed at them today. Fixing the app may turn out to be easier than fixing their customers and potential customers.

I think the best you can say is that Sonos have ‘owned up’ to having issues, on the back of needing to explain why they’ve delayed product launches and downgraded results expectations. 

In terms of ‘owning’ the problem in the way that phrase is normally used, they appear far from being in control of it, and have done nothing much to communicate what they’ve done that has caused the problems, and have pretty much ignored their own user community over ‘trendier’ 3rd party sites. 

Make of that what you will I guess. 

Hi @Kumar 

@Corry P Sonos know how many units capable of being revived to full S1 functionality are out there today, that are not on S1, by following the quoted advice expanded in some detail, with some caveats. Unless a comprehensive fix to the new app is expected to be in place in a matter of just a few weeks, why isn’t this advice being sent to all such as an interim solution to get music going in part if not all of their homes? Above your pay grade probably, but deserving of an answer, perhaps from Spence on his present day lectern, Reddit?!

Perhaps you should ask Patrick this question on Reddit, if you know I can’t answer it?

Ditto recommending the use of Sonophone for all for whom that will work as an interim solution?

Really? We should recommend software written by a third-party? I’m not sure you thought this question through, frankly.

Edit: I say this knowing that S1 has worked flawlessly from before May 1 till today, and is not hamstrung by all the Sonos antics around the new app, as S2 is claimed by Spence to be, on Reddit.

No personal experience of Sonophone though.

Why do you think we should recommend a third-party app that you have never actually used?! That’s an... interesting position to take.

I can’t comment on the steps because I never moved to S2

I think that says everything.

I think that says everything.

Why am I not surprised?😁

Is it expected that with the new app, if there is no internet connection, that the app is practically unusable? 

We had a 2 hour internet outage a few days ago. Normally it would be no big deal, stream from my local library. But I couldn’t get to that point with the new app.

Thankfully the Mac desktop app is fairly neglected so it was working as expected and I was able to queue music from my local source.

Is it expected that with the new app, if there is no internet connection, that the app is practically unusable? 

We had a 2 hour internet outage a few days ago. Normally it would be no big deal, stream from my local library. But I couldn’t get to that point with the new app.

Thankfully the Mac desktop app is fairly neglected so it was working as expected and I was able to queue music from my local source.

No internet, no cloud and no app. 

Thank you . . . but to be clear, according to the Sonos directions (https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/downgrade-a-sonos-product-to-s1) each Play 1 speaker has to be factory reset as the initial step of “downgrading”, then each speakers software has to be downgraded to S1 software, and then each speaker must be added to the Sonos 1 app and controller. Correct?

Which means after doing all the app upgrades which have resulted in my system not working since early May, I (not Sonos) have to do several more steps to revert to S1 to get my speakers back to basic functionality.

Hmmmm . . . 

I am both confused and concerned when I read about users having problems with their older Play1 speakers. I have two in our Bedroom setup as a stereo pair and have never had a problem with them. I wake up every morning and test the app with my iPad to make sure they are working and the response is fast with no delay with any of my speakers in the house using the volume control. This is my setup for one of the Play:1’s. My Playlists all reside on my NAS drive and I have my Beam and Connect in my Living Room wired to my gigabit switch in the Living Room, which is a home run to a port off the back of my router via a 50’ cat 6e going through my heat duct.   

Play:1: Master Bedroom (R)
Serial Number: *
Sonos OS: S2
Version: 16.3.1 (build 80155240)
Hardware Version: 1.8.3.7-1.0
Series ID: A101
IP Address: *
WM: 0
OTP: 

Is it maybe because I don’t subscribe to remote music services?  Or maybe because I’m using SonosNet? I don’t know. 

*Moderator Note: Removed serial number and IP address for privacy reasons*

<snip>

No internet, no cloud and no app. 

Yes, obviously no internet, no cloud. Not a very helpful insight.

Prior to the redesign, there absolutely was an app, that was immediately useable, you could play from any non-streaming source, and bide time until there was a connection again. Much like the current Mac app.

So my question remains - is being unable to use the app while there’s no internet connection by intent, or is it a (major) regression?

An update from an earlier comment I made about not being able to play all of my local music. This is for those thinking of investing in SONOS Port. Hold off. Since the last “updated” I am no longer able to use via bluetooth. I had a bridge in the past and since a couple of years ago, the Port. I’ve had it connected to my stereo receiver. It’s worked fine via web and bluetooth. Now comes 2024 advanced technology.

It no longer picks up the signal. Yes I’ve reset, connected to USB, etc. etc. etc. I shouldn’t have to waste my time. I’ve had it. Doing some homework on alternatives.

Like I’ve mentioned, I’m sure the alarms etc are great. I bought Sonos to PLAY MY MUSIC. So you can talk about all of your updates. But until I can PLAY MY MUSIC your updates mean nothing. I don’t think wanting to PLAY MY MUSIC is an unreasonable desire. I can use the alarm clock on my phone to get up.

This has become a complete embarrassment for Sonos at this point.
I wake up this morning and Sonos has completely dropped my system.
Android app says it cant find it, PC Controller says “We found SONOS on your network” yet when you try to connect it says it can’t find any Sonos product.

I listen to a local station via iHeart radio and when I use voice commands (doesn’t matter what assistant) it’ll tell me “playing (radio station) via iHeart radio, then nothing ever plays.

I switched from Spotify to Tidal as I was sick of paying their ever increasing rates and not getting anything in return. Tidal at least as spatial audio, and on the ERA 300s sound amazing! I didn’t really have any issues with Spotify but Tidal support is atrocious. Always have to manually start songs on Tidal via the App.

And for over 3 years, the voice assistant volume on the ARC, their flagship soundbar, which I refuse to recommend to anyone as I feel it severely under performs for that price point, is always 25% or so of the playing volume. so you never hear either Alexa, sonos voice guy, google assistant lady or whatever voice control you use. There’s a thread on that that I keep track of. They are aware but apparently don’t care.

It’s super frustrating as they have a good product for the most part, but service is severely lacking, and as someone who spent a lot of time is software test, and knows the cost of escaped defects, I can pretty much assure you, they didn’t do nearly enough testing of the app and are basically using us as their beta testing.

VERY DISAPPOINTED RIGHT NOW!!!

Well, I have to say this application update (Android) is a vast improvement from my PoV…

* I can now see populated Recently Played and Favourites sections that remain populated and navigable after initial load 👍

* I can actually play things from these lists, including local tracks but not albums or playlists - can navigate to playlists and see their content and also play an individual track but not the whole playlist, favourite albums just report 'something went wrong' 👍👍

* I can play all tracks for a local artist when searched for 👍👍👍

All these are new experiences for me with this application and this is the first release that gives me some hope, still a way to go (cover art, playlists, jumpy volume ect.) but now a positive rather than habitual🤞- I think there must have been some backend refinement going on... #notmynetwork 😉

Thank you as SONOS!!!!

I have to say that this app rollout disaster worked out really well for me in the end. After just giving up on waiting for the functionality, I needed it back. I turned to Plexamp. I had never really focused on it, but I’ve been a Plex user for years for all my media.

Holy crap! It’s absolutely the best way to listen to your music library. All the algorithmic benefits of streaming services connected to your library! Even with all my diverse playlists, it has me consistently listening to stuff that I have into in a while or ever, really.

if you have a large music library and have not checked out, Plexamp, I can’t recommend it enough!

Thanks, SONOS!!

Thank you as SONOS!!!!

I have to say that this app rollout disaster worked out really well for me in the end. After just giving up on waiting for the functionality, I needed it back. I turned to Plexamp. I had never really focused on it, but I’ve been a Plex user for years for all my media.

Holy crap! It’s absolutely the best way to listen to your music library. All the algorithmic benefits of streaming services connected to your library! Even with all my diverse playlists, it has me consistently listening to stuff that I have into in a while or ever, really.

if you have a large music library and have not checked out, Plexamp, I can’t recommend it enough!

Thanks, SONOS!!

MattyJake… This may be a dumb question but, does PlexAmp connect to our Sonos speakers or are you talking about an alternate system/software altogether?

Thank you as SONOS!!!!

MattyJake… This may be a dumb question but, does PlexAmp connect to our Sonos speakers or are you talking about an alternate system/software altogether?

All good!

You can cast to your Sonos speakers. And you then just use the Sonos app to handle grouping and anything else specific to their system.

It also has a huge library of crowdsourced EQ settings and a whole bunch of other good ones.

and for a bonus, you can connect to your library remotely from Wi-Fi or cellular. And for cellular, you can set the compression rate you want from uncompressed down to 128. And when you’re on Wi-Fi, you automatically get the compression level level of the music in your library.

And, you can invite other Plex users to be able to access your Library and do the same thing.

And… It’s completely completely free!!!!!!!!

Has totally changed the game for me, I’m not even kidding.

ui

Thank you as SONOS!!!!

All good!

You can cast to your Sonos speakers. And you then just use the Sonos app to handle grouping and anything else specific to their system.

It also has a huge library of crowdsourced EQ settings and a whole bunch of other good ones.

and for a bonus, you can connect to your library remotely from Wi-Fi or cellular. And for cellular, you can set the compression rate you want from uncompressed down to 128. And when you’re on Wi-Fi, you automatically get the compression level level of the music in your library.

And, you can invite other Plex users to be able to access your Library and do the same thing.

Thanks for the information. I’m not quite the music system guru that I used to be in the analog days. When you get into connecting remotely, compression rates….etc., I withdraw into a corner.  I “do” miss the ease of what Sonos used to be so, I’m willing to take a plunge and learn some new tricks.  I have my main Sonos Library connected via a new USB drive to a 2022 iMac running Sonoma and, that’s about the most important Sonos connection that I have.  I’ll go the PlexAmp site and do some research. Thanks very much for sharing your knowledge.  Brad

Thank you as SONOS!!!!

All good!

Not entirely true. I’ve just spent a couple of hours creating a Plex media server on an old laptop which works fine. But when I loaded the app on my phone it says I have to pay for the premium version if I want to cast to my Sonos speakers so not completely free!

Thank you as SONOS!!!!

All good!

Not entirely true. I’ve just spent a couple of hours creating a Plex media server on an old laptop which works fine. But when I loaded the app on my phone it says I have to pay for the premium version if I want to cast to my Sonos speakers so not completely free!

You can add it Plex as a service within Sonos and should be able to use it for free that way.