Skip to main content

Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

is anyone else having problems adding tracks to queue from music library?

The app is still challenged

pc or webb app ok i think

PC version is just as dire as the app for me. Like chalkywhite's wife a few posts above I too have had enough, as I feel that almost three months is far too long to wait for the former functionality to be restored. Will continue to monitor the situation on these forums out of interest, although it still appears that every update brings different problems for different users. On one hand Sonos are lucky that so many of their customers seem to have an unlimited amount of time and patience, but that does not apply to everyone.

have you tried

https://play.sonos.com/en-us/web-app

Using the wep app link that paulrw provided, I logged in and was able to view my system and after about a 4 second delay the first click, I was able to play where I left off on my Office Play:3. That was very interesting, but a little scary at the same time. So my configuration and what I play is out there for Sonos to see. I don’t know why I would want to log in from remote and control my system if I can’t hear what’s playing. 

I thought that as well, why would i want to control music from outside the home. This could be abused to seriously piss off the neighbours for automated harassment ,having suffered this in the past, and i bet designers never even consider it.

This must be first step into mobile music so you pick headphones as you leave house, or car as you enter it.

Sonos seem to currently use it as the master device finder, if everything shows here than it must be the app flaky…...

Blah, blah, blah

Sonos CEO apologizes for disastrous rollout of new app

/ 

Patrick Spence admits ‘too many’ customers have had problems and promises biweekly updates through the fall.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/7/25/24206203/sonos-ceo-apology-redesigned-app-controversy

Does anyone know of a better wireless home sound system, able to stream and play already owned music? I am ready to throw in the towel and get rid of my 10 Sonos speakers. I’m thinking about Bose or another more reputable and reliable company. Any recs would be appreciated.

Blah, blah, blah

/ 

Patrick Spence admits ‘too many’ customers have had problems and promises biweekly updates through the fall.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/7/25/24206203/sonos-ceo-apology-redesigned-app-controversy

Bloody hell - according to that link the below has moved even further out:

September and October:

Restoring edit mode for Playlists and the Queue

What an absolute joke.

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

Time for a leadership change! Patrick Spence, please resign!!

Blah, blah, blah

/ 

September and October:

What an absolute joke.

I can’t believe this. The one big feature I am waiting for just keeps getting pushed further back.  And the problem is, we can complain about this all we want, but once we get used to this new Sonos app and it starts working half way better again, there isn’t another company better than Sonos that does this. 

Blah, blah, blah

/ 

September and October:

What an absolute joke.

July 22 update actually caused more basic functions to cease working for many users. One again SONOS uses political campaign PR spin to feed consumers lies about how the app is improving, but in reality - actually getting worse - not better - with every failed update. Their comment about considering users feedback in the future to update the GUI is insulting. These forums of full of suggestions NOW and they can’t even get basic functions, connectivity, services, etc. working. The hint of, “Oh we should have let non-headphone buying customers keep the old app” is another slap in the face. an admission that they really could have, and probably still can, roll back the disaster app and let us all have the functioning app and listen to music on our currently bricked components. But no, they wasted too much time creating component updates that will only work with the NEW non-working app and sneakily forcing customers to update. The number of customers with non-working components is increasing not decreasing.

What a difference a day makes!  Yesterday was frantic for me and i only tried playing music once - the app just scrolled through and boxes kept popping up with “Unable to play ...".  I shut it down and went about my urgent business.  

Today, the fallback copy of my music library that i have been able to access for about a week or so - had disappeared and when i try to add it back it comes up with 

We are back to the (913) problem again!

Needless to say the add 'Network device’ option still doesn't work.  So, just to see i tried adding My Music folder, which also gets the (913) error message.  I'm done for the day.  

Does anyone know of a better wireless home sound system, able to stream and play already owned music? I am ready to throw in the towel and get rid of my 10 Sonos speakers. I’m thinking about Bose or another more reputable and reliable company. Any recs would be appreciated.

There are alternatives discussed here:

And I've heard good reports on Emby. 

Classic weak CEO trying to hold onto his job. At some point the Board will get fed up with the Company’s pathetic stock performance and get rid of CEO Patrick Spence ...

Sonos (NASDAQ:SONO investor three-year losses grow to 58% as the stock sheds US$109m this past week.

Great job Patrick!!

Did anyone else get an untitled email only containing Patrick Spence's signature, followed by the correct email six hours later? Surely nothing could be more symbolic.

Here’s my response per his suggestion that we write him back in his pathetic email today.  BTW, I have no illusions that he ever reads these, but if felt good for all the hell he’s put so many friends and family through and I really don’t care enough to even edit my response.  I’ve done being a 100hr AlphaTester for this clown car of a company!  Don’t screw with our music Spence!

LMAO P.Spence, you’ve made such a mess of this company since you joined (just like Rim/Blackberry).  Now you send more lies and misrepresentation in this insulting and too little, too late email.  You lied about the new app having all the features and functionality of the prior S2 app, your team foisted this crap app on consumers with nags, automatic updates and more dishonest marketing/advertising!  And now you have nerve to claim in your letter that your bi-weekly update are significant improvements??? What lies!  Many of the updates are making things worse!  Don’t you even ever read any of the Apple App, Google Play, Sonos community, r/Sonos feedback???

Plus your minions have locked out the ability with firmware updates to even go back.  Your company should be sued up the kazoo for deceptive marketing and advertisement practice at the very least and you should have resigned LONG AGO!    

I sold all of my Sonos shares 2 days after the crap-app was released having been a loyal customer, shareholder, and promoter for over a decade!   THIS IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY AND FAULT, and you’ve been too quiet, too long, plus your missive means NOTHING to vast community of Sonos customers/users. 

Good luck ever getting any of us back! 

What a difference a day makes!  Yesterday was frantic for me and i only tried playing music once - the app just scrolled through and boxes kept popping up with “Unable to play ...".  I shut it down and went about my urgent business.  

Today, the fallback copy of my music library that i have been able to access for about a week or so - had disappeared and when i try to add it back it comes up with 

We are back to the (913) problem again!

Needless to say the add 'Network device’ option still doesn't work.  So, just to see i tried adding My Music folder, which also gets the (913) error message.  I'm done for the day.  

Try plex, there is a free version

The App is very badly degraded.

1. Volume. The Volume on my Amp and Roam systems is terrible. Very low volume you have to turn them up to about 80% to even hear them. Outdoors I have two pairs of 200W Yamaha Speakers, each pair is connected to one Amp. If I did that when the Amps were working properly I would have had complaints from all over the village.
  2. Music stops on all devices but Mobile App and PC App show the music as still playing.
  3. Unable to browse Imported Playlists. If I go to Imported Playlists in the Music Library they are all listed. If you go into any Playlist I get the message “Unable to Browse Music”.
  4. Adding and taking away Rooms from any group is very hit and miss. Sometimes you have to add multiple times to get a Room to stay in the Group.

Same issue with playlists. There was no issue prior to this latest update ! My PC version of the Sonos controller is now not as reliable though that hasn’t been updated recently. 

WiiM has a stable app and nice equipment. 

WiiM has a stable app and nice equipment. 

I have a WiiM mini plugged into my 5 line in and I use the WiiM app for music it’s an awesome application I also use Sono+ widget app for volume and grouping speakers 

should mention that I am on 16.1 still but haven’t opened Sonos App in a while 

If and when Sonos gets their act together, there really isn’t a better system out there. I don’t know if the other companies like Wii’s, Bluesound, Denon, Yamaha, etc. make their own high quality speakers that sound as good as Sonos’ speakers. Plus, if you’re using the Sonos wired mesh topology (SonosNet) then every time you add a speaker, you are effectively extending your Wi-Fi network, since the Sonos speakers have network integration. I read somewhere a user said he would not use the SonosNet, and plug multiple speakers in for fear of creating loops in the network. Years ago and before I switched to the SonosNet, I had that concern and verified with Sonos tech support that they incorporate the spanning tree protocol in their network, which prevents loops from happening. I think this is very impressive that they thought of this. Since doing this (WM:0) 5 years back, I have never had a issue with one of my very remote speaker in the downstairs Kitchen, where my Linksys EA8300 router is on the 2nd floor on the opposite side of the house and I have three different devices plugged in via Ethernet (RJ45). So for now, I’m going to wait it out and hope that Sonos fixes these app issues and doesn’t go under in the process. I run IOS on two iPads and just started using my iPhone, which never used before until getting the idea from this Sonos Community. Except for the couple of features that I’ve learned to live without, I am basically working okay and playing my playlists. 

@John Guarr 

unfortunately I believe the whole idea of the new app and speakers is to do away with sonosnet

i could be wrong but sure I have read it on here earlier on in the discussion 

@John Guarr

unfortunately I believe the whole idea of the new app and speakers is to do away with sonosnet

New era speakers don’t have it is the clue...

@John Guarr

You know, I do remember reading something about SonosNet and also how the new ERA speakers don’t support SonosNet. Great; just what I need for more anxiety. 

@John Guarr

You know, I do remember reading something about SonosNet and also how the new ERA speakers don’t support SonosNet. Great; just what I need for more anxiety. 

Full Ethernet (wire always best) or super duper wifi are your options

Spence’s way too late to matter email email says: “While these software updates have enabled the majority of our customers to have a robust experience using the Sonos app”

Is that true? I know 10 or so SONOS customers and 100% either can’t use their systems or have given up even trying anymore. I doubt that anyone at all is having a robust experience.

Is anyone out there just simply enjoying their SONOS equipment?

Spence’s way too late to matter email email says: “While these software updates have enabled the majority of our customers to have a robust experience using the Sonos app”

Is that true? I know 10 or so SONOS customers and 100% either can’t use their systems or have given up even trying anymore. I doubt that anyone at all is having a robust experience.

Is anyone out there just simply enjoying their SONOS equipment?

My app has worked since day 1.  Not sure I’d consider the missing features and a few of the nagging bugs (queue management, missing album art, etc) as “robust”, but the app has been functional since the very first update.  Then again, my music library was already on SMB v2/3 and I’m not running any funky network configurations that would screw up the app’s share and/or discovery functions.  There are many others on here who state the same thing (most are regular posters, the vast majority who have a working system will never come here to post). 

Does that mean the app was fit for purpose?  Not at all.  It was a disaster.  However, the number of new users who registered to complain is still under 1000.  Even if you multiply that times 100 to account for those who don’t complain or just chuck thousands of dollars worth of gear and start over, that is still only a fraction of the millions of Sonos users out there.