Skip to main content

Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

Update just arrived (iOS, anyway) here and Local Library search is FINALLY back and appears to be working Ok.

Doesn't look as if the handy A - Z scroll bar on the right is back, however, and it remains to be seen if album artwork is working, but we do have progress!

Looks like I spoke too soon. Local Library (on a NAS) was included in search the first time I used it but since then it isn’t showing up.

Also, if I access the library via the (iOS) app, although the folders appear to be there, the app doesn't find the content within them, throwing up a “something went wrong” error. The library and all it’s content shows up no problem via the Windows desktop app (the one they don’t appear to have messed about with) 

Back to square one !

Same issue for me. Never thought I’d say it but this update is worse than the previous version ! 

Same issue for me.

Update just arrived (iOS, anyway) here and Local Library search is FINALLY back and appears to be working Ok.

Doesn't look as if the handy A - Z scroll bar on the right is back, however, and it remains to be seen if album artwork is working, but we do have progress!

Looks like I spoke too soon. Local Library (on a NAS) was included in search the first time I used it but since then it isn’t showing up.

Also, if I access the library via the (iOS) app, although the folders appear to be there, the app doesn't find the content within them, throwing up a “something went wrong” error. The library and all it’s content shows up no problem via the Windows desktop app (the one they don’t appear to have messed about with) 

Back to square one !

Same issue for me. Never thought I’d say it but this update is worse than the previous version ! 

Same issue for me.

And, it’s apparenlty all our fault. This could be solved if Sonos released an app - or a second one - for those of use with SSD USB drives that contain our Libraries.  You know, like the ones that actually worked 2 months ago.  Mine is not an SMBv1 issue and, I’ve grant so many Permissions that it’s like I’ve removed the front door of my house.  This all used to be seamless and performed automatically when we all purchased our products and ran their connection/install programs on our mobile devices.

@SlamDesi 

“I’ve grant so many Permissions that it’s like I’ve removed the front door of my house.”

Made me chuckle…

This falls in the category of ‘sweating the small stuff,’ given all of the major flaws in the ongoing updates, but query: I seem to recall that in the ‘good old days,’ if you went from a full page display of the album cover for the track being played, back to a list of all the tracks in the queue, the list would snap back to show the section of the queue where the currently played track appears.

At present, if you go to a full screen display of the track now playing and return to the queue, you wind up at the top of the list, which means if your queue is a couple hundred tracks, you have to do a whole lot of scrolling to find what’s ‘now playing’ and what will be next in the queue.

Have others observed the same or a similar change from the ‘old app’ to the current iteration?

One more oddity… I’ve noticed the background color of the full page album cover and full page queue displays changes at random. Is that a new ‘feature’ as well?

And finally, of late the app freezes and crashes about half the time when I do a search for content in my linked streaming services. Is this also a common experience with the new app?

This falls in the category of ‘sweating the small stuff,’ given all of the major flaws in the ongoing updates, but query: I seem to recall that in the ‘good old days,’ if you went from a full page display of the album cover for the track being played, back to a list of all the tracks in the queue, the list would snap back to show the section of the queue where the currently played track appears.

At present, if you go to a full screen display of the track now playing and return to the queue, you wind up at the top of the list, which means if your queue is a couple hundred tracks, you have to do a whole lot of scrolling to find what’s ‘now playing’ and what will be next in the queue.

Have others observed the same or a similar change from the ‘old app’ to the current iteration?

One more oddity… I’ve noticed the background color of the full page album cover and full page queue displays changes at random. Is that a new ‘feature’ as well?

And finally, of late the app freezes and crashes about half the time when I do a search for content in my linked streaming services. Is this also a common experience with the new app?

Going to the top of the queue is a real pain in the ass. I have posted this many times already but I’m sure this is not a priority for all of Sonos’ other problems.  As far as the colors go, I was told, or read somewhere that it might have something to do with the album color. Because certain songs are always the same color. Not sure why. And as far as the app freezing, I haven’t experienced that, but I get a lot of “something went wrongs”, especially when I select a playlist in the Recently Played portion of the Home Screen.

@John Guarr: I guess this is what Sonos meant when they promised a more ‘customized listening experience.’ Everybody gets their very own ‘customized’ stable of random bugs, error messages, battery drains, crashes, lost content…

Back to square one !

Same issue for me.

And, it’s apparenlty all our fault. This could be solved if Sonos released an app - or a second one - for those of use with SSD USB drives that contain our Libraries.  You know, like the ones that actually worked 2 months ago.  Mine is not an SMBv1 issue and, I’ve grant so many Permissions that it’s like I’ve removed the front door of my house.  This all used to be seamless and performed automatically when we all purchased our products and ran their connection/install programs on our mobile devices.

My library is on a Synology NAS using SMBv3 so that’s not the issue but although the app WILL now include the library in searches (that facility having disappeared on and off several times since this week’s update) if I try to access any of the library tracks the app finds the folders but then times out with the dreaded “something went wrong” error before it gets to any actual tracks.

To add insult to injury, tonight the system dropped my two Era 300 surrounds and I had to add them back manually. Even that process wasn’t straightforward, with the system consistently saying it couldn't add them, when actually it had. 

Back to square one !

Same issue for me.

My library is on a Synology NAS using SMBv3 so that’s not the issue but although the app WILL now include the library in searches (that facility having disappeared on and off several times since this week’s update) if I try to access any of the library tracks the app finds the folders but then times out with the dreaded “something went wrong” error before it gets to any actual tracks.

To add insult to injury, tonight the system dropped my two Era 300 surrounds and I had to add them back manually. Even that process wasn’t straightforward, with the system consistently saying it couldn't add them, when actually it had. 

Sorry, I should have been clearer there. Library tracks play fine if they are accessed through search, it’s when I try to access them direct from just going into the library that the errors appear. 

The reason I first started with Sonos, several years back, was that the original system and app was so easy to set up and use.  It was the user-friendliness that inspired me to continue purchases Sonos.  Then this new app came a few months back.  To me, it actually seems like it is getting slower each day - slow (several seconds, sometimes minutes) to see the Sonos components.  Slow to adjust volume.  Slow to see the song, change the song, stop the music.  The new app is so bad, it almost seems like it should be scrapped, and a return made to the old app.  I am hoping that this debacle will be fixed.

my music library is back but now streaming services don't work! I just get the message “something went wrong”. anyone else have the same issue?

my music library is back but now streaming services don't work! I just get the message “something went wrong”. anyone else have the same issue?

Try logging out of your Sonos app then back in again.

Try logging out of your Sonos app then back in again.

thanks but this had no effect.

additionally, although I can now play from my music library, it's not possible to add tracks to the queue… along with broken streaming this is one step forwards two BIG steps back.

There is the option to reauthorise each music service.

Your Services - Manage - [Music service name] - [specific user] - Reauthorise Account

I wonder if this will re-establish things.

There is the option to reauthorise each music service.

Your Services - Manage - [Music service name] - [specific user] - Reauthorise Account

I wonder if this will re-establish things.

my options don't look like this. instead I have “Content Services” and no option to “Reauthorise” services.

resetting Move 2 has brought back streaming 🙂

My wife has had enough, I am away on business and she has told me she’s ditched the speakers as we can no longer rely on them.  She’s bought a radio, and I need to find an alternative solution when I get home.

Such a shame such a market leader became an embarrassment overnight.  😥

is anyone else having problems adding tracks to queue from music library?

The app is still challenged

pc or webb app ok i think

PC version is just as dire as the app for me. Like chalkywhite's wife a few posts above I too have had enough, as I feel that almost three months is far too long to wait for the former functionality to be restored. Will continue to monitor the situation on these forums out of interest, although it still appears that every update brings different problems for different users. On one hand Sonos are lucky that so many of their customers seem to have an unlimited amount of time and patience, but that does not apply to everyone.

I decided to check out the iPad app. It has library album art now? If they had pushed the headphone release out a quarter a lot of this nonsense could have been avoided.

PC version is just as dire as the app for me. Like chalkywhite's wife a few posts above I too have had enough, as I feel that almost three months is far too long to wait for the former functionality to be restored. Will continue to monitor the situation on these forums out of interest, although it still appears that every update brings different problems for different users. On one hand Sonos are lucky that so many of their customers seem to have an unlimited amount of time and patience, but that does not apply to everyone.

have you tried

https://play.sonos.com/en-us/web-app

Here’s what I get with trying to add to the end of the queue:

p1] Windows app: works as it should; queue is visible and updates correctly

p2] iOS app: works as it should; queue is visible and updates correctly

<3] Android app: gives an error message, “unable to add to queue”

Also, with Android, I can’t view the queue, I get error “Unable to load, please try again” (and if I DO try again, it fails again with the same message).

OK, Patrick Spence, you’ve overseen a pretty poor piece of work rolling this out over two months. The last few pages of this issue appears to have our clients doing the regression testing - which really should be the job of your staff.

To this end, please supply details of who I should invoice for spending two days regression testing your sub-standard controller product. That includes running around powering up my Sonos devices, powering up music sources, re-indexing my music library, uninstalling & re-installing the controller app and performing tests between the three platforms. 

Never, ever, do this again to your customer base. Look at some recent large corporation failures, as you appear to be taking that direction of travel.

have you tried

Using the wep app link that paulrw provided, I logged in and was able to view my system and after about a 4 second delay the first click, I was able to play where I left off on my Office Play:3. That was very interesting, but a little scary at the same time. So my configuration and what I play is out there for Sonos to see. I don’t know why I would want to log in from remote and control my system if I can’t hear what’s playing. 

have you tried

Using the wep app link that paulrw provided, I logged in and was able to view my system and after about a 4 second delay the first click, I was able to play where I left off on my Office Play:3. That was very interesting, but a little scary at the same time. So my configuration and what I play is out there for Sonos to see. I don’t know why I would want to log in from remote and control my system if I can’t hear what’s playing.