Skip to main content

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

My take was he knew exactly what you meant and it was a humorous response.  For sure, some wouldn't be too sure.. 😉

My take was he knew exactly what you meant and it was a humorous response.  For sure, some wouldn't be too sure.. 😉

Correct…

Nice yarn from sonos fellas but at the end of the day it doesnt work anymore. It used to now it doesn't. I hear all the complaints about dropped features but since the update i struggle to keep my system recognized by the app. New galaxy s23 before anyone chirps in. "No Products Found" even tho all speakers are still playing music i cant change or control it. Yes eveything is connected to the same wifi. Pretty farrken punishing to spend bucks and set up a system that sounds good but cant use it reliably. WTF. COULD YOU DUMB KOOKS JUST GIVE US BACK THE PREVIOUS VERSION OF THE APP????? FOR EVERYONES SANITY?????? HOPE YOUR MARKETING CAMPAIGNS ON A WINNING STREAK COS REPEAT CUSTOMERS ARE THINING OUT FAST.... JUST IN CASE YOU DIDNT REALISE

New app is just crashing on start, endless loop. Reboot and reinstall not working. 

This app is buggy AF. 

This isn’t a bug. This is the brand new feature from Sonos nobody asks for. True INNOVATION! Kudos to Dear Leader Spence! 🤣

​​​​@Rhonny  rebooting my network didn’t work either. Should I buy a new router

Does @Bumper have a PiHole?

You disgust me.

I was being serious. Software can fail when its run in an environment it wasn’t tested, I know some Sonos users are concerned more than others about privacy, and may have adjusted their network to block network connections. I can see how the above may have offended, was not my intention, sorry.

Yeah you raised a good point. Pihole, nextdns and other custom dns services can definitely have unintended consequences on Sonos. I think I’ve got it tweaked but something I will continue to check whenever I have issues. 

and @rhonny ‘s comment was pretty funny, it’s good lighten the mood around here some times 🤣

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

Hi Corry P:

I am not sure where to ask this question:

What is Sonos doing for customers who are working with Level 3 engineers who cannot solve problems with music playing?  Is there a level above level 3?  I have worked with three different Level 2 techs, three different engineers, and Ken Griffith in this community. All have run out of problem solving. The engineer I am currently communicating with is asking me to start all music with just the Roam, and then add on other speakers. Diagnostics seem to show that works, but I have to test it for another week to give him feedback.

I don’t think this is “Effortless Listening” as splashed on the Sonos home webpage. It seems like the Sonos One SL speakers I have cannot handle the way the new app works. What is Sonos going to do for me as the customer as the system is not working as advertised.  Most companies take their products back.  I look forward to hearing from you. 
Brian

If you have Ios, you could try sonophone app £2.99, it might help you and if it doesn’t you can get a refund on any app

If you have Ios, you could try sonophone app £2.99, it might help you and if it doesn’t you can get a refund on any app

I have been using SonoPhone for weeks now and it is worth the few dollars it costs. As long as the speakers are connected you can completely control them and the queue. Your playlists, music library and services are easily accessible. Now if it could just be entirely independent of Sonos….

1. To check CEC issue, I disconnected all other HDMI connections and devices except Sonos.  Still it doesn't work. 

2. Tried with A different HDMI cable and still doesn't work

Hi @koilada, one fairly easy thing to try if you’ve not already done so ...​​

• Power down your television
  • Power down your Arc
  • Wait 30 seconds
  • Power up your television, wait for it to completely boot up
  • Power up your Arc

… that will ensure a proper HDMI/CEC/eArc negotiation.

I tried this couple of times but it didn't work. Now doubting my HDMI cable (the one came with arc)

I tried this couple of times but it didn't work. Now doubting my HDMI cable (the one came with arc)

Well that is super frustrating @koilada. Ironically, when I had trouble with my Sony-Arc connection I managed to fix it by swapping out my ‘fancy’ HDMI cable and swapping in … the HDMI cable that came with Arc. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you are of the mind to try a new HDMI cable, stick to a brand name that is certified. There are a lot of dodgy cables out there, and eArc needs a proper complaint cable.

1. To check CEC issue, I disconnected all other HDMI connections and devices except Sonos.  Still it doesn't work. 

• Power down your Arc
  • Wait 30 seconds
  • Power up your Arc

And you’re definitely connecting the Arc to the TV’s HDMI-ARC or HDMI-eARC port? (Sorry if this was discussed before.)

This has been the most frustrating experience with an app update that I have ever had. Prior to the new app everything in my 7 speaker system was flawless. The music I wanted played in the speakers I have. Now I just tried to play music and it is bouncing around from speaker to speaker. At least a couple times a day the music just stops playing but in the app it shows it is still playing. I hate this. Sonos you need to fix this problem. I have called tech support and the tech said millions of people have complained and we just have to wait for updates. He didn’t really care. 

This has been the most frustrating experience with an app update that I have ever had. Prior to the new app everything in my 7 speaker system was flawless. The music I wanted played in the speakers I have. Now I just tried to play music and it is bouncing around from speaker to speaker. At least a couple times a day the music just stops playing but in the app it shows it is still playing. I hate this. Sonos you need to fix this problem. I have called tech support and the tech said millions of people have complained and we just have to wait for updates. He didn’t really care. 

I suspect he’d lost the will to live after being let down by his employer and answering endless calls about the latest issues from the app/system updates. I’m not surprised he didn’t really care.

@shareholders … pls fire ceo end rest of management asap

• Power down your Arc
  • Wait 30 seconds
  • Power up your Arc

And you’re definitely connecting the Arc to the TV’s HDMI-ARC or HDMI-eARC port? (Sorry if this was discussed before.)

Yes, 100% connected to HDMI arc

I agree. Pls restore Search of and within Library within (in my case) iPhone app. 
Pls make Home Screen customizable. Most of the content I have no use for. 
I will otherwise take my hardware, software and business elsewhere!

I agree. Pls restore Search of and within Library within (in my case) iPhone app. 

Out of curiosity, which other whole home audio providers have customisable home screens on their apps? 

The good news is search is gonna come back. We think this month but who tf really knows anymore. 

some of the content in the Home Screen is customizable but they are always gonna display adds unless you block them. It is what is and if they ever figure out what they broke the app will be better. Than the old one in this regard. 

sonos already has your money if you jump to another product they dgaf. 

Out of curiosity, which other whole home audio providers have customisable home screens on their apps? 

Guess it depends what is meant by customisable, I doubt anyone has full customisation, but my MusicCast devices don’t have Yamaha product placement on them, uneditable sections can be collapsed, the sources edited, disabled, reordered.

Each control device can have completely different sources for the physical devices showing depending what each user thinks is relevant to them. So if person A only ever uses net radio, they can hide all the other sources, while person B can have a different set of sources visible.

Lyrion Music Service does whole home and is pretty much fully customizable in their web app. Lots of customizable third party apps as well But it’s a community development so that’s to be expected. If you break it you are on your own, Sonos provides support so there are limits. 

Not sure what you mean by “customizable home screen,” but Roon’s interface is pretty adaptable.  The BluOS app’s home screen is not customizable but changes depending upon the chosen source of music.  (BluOS is used by BlueSound and NAD.)

The latest Sonos iOS app remains unable to find My Library.  Whatever strides are being made to improve access to on-line sources is eclipsed (IMHO) by the inability to find and access my music collection.  It once did, just fine.  Now, after the upgrade it doesn’t.  The iOS update effectively bricks all remote access via Sonos to my collection.  It’s painful.

It is now 10 Jul 2024.  The problem remains.  I remain skeptical Sonos will be able to repair this mess.

Not sure what you mean by “customizable home screen,” but Roon’s interface is pretty adaptable.  The BluOS app’s home screen is not customizable but changes depending upon the chosen source of music.  (BluOS is used by BlueSound and NAD.)

The latest Sonos iOS app remains unable to find My Library.  Whatever strides are being made to improve access to on-line sources is eclipsed (IMHO) by the inability to find and access my music collection.  It once did, just fine.  Now, after the upgrade it doesn’t.  The iOS update effectively bricks all remote access via Sonos to my collection.  It’s painful.

It is now 10 Jul 2024.  The problem remains.  I remain skeptical Sonos will be able to repair this mess.

Sonos has revised their instructions on adding a local library to take into account the dropping of support for SMB v1 and http sharing due to security problems.  Follow the new instructions here (Note: You will need to use the Sonos PC/Mac app to complete):

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

The big change is you need to add the share as an NAS drive, regardless if it is on a PC or a Mac.  You cannot add it as a Music Folder on your PC/Mac. 

Sonos has revised their instructions on adding a local library to take into account the dropping of support for SMB v1 and http sharing due to security problems.  Follow the new instructions here (Note: You will need to use the Sonos PC/Mac app to complete):

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/arti cle/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

The big change is you need to add the share as an NAS drive, regardless if it is on a PC or a Mac.  You cannot add it as a Music Folder on your PC/Mac. 

Please let me know if you’re part of Sonos tech staff or, like me, an experienced user.

I’ve followed the instructions you’ve provided (spoiler alert: it doesn’t fix my problem).  Specifically, my music is on a Synology NAS running SMBv2 and SMBv3, the choice depending on the requestor (Sonos).  Using the Windows Sonos app, i removed/disconnected all of my own music directorories, re-attached them (as an NAS category object) and let the Sonos system re-index the result.  That part ran fine, the intended music folders show up (on the Windows app) and plays fine as well as long as I stay clear of my Hi Res content.

The story via the iOS app is, unfortunately,the same disappointing mess:  My Library isn’t showing up. Not at all. I’ve shut the app down and restarted it, and still nothing.  It’s the same miserable failure as before.

The reason I’m not discussing this with Sonos tech support is that I’m confident they’re stressed to the max  already.  Further, I have another entirely separate system which uses BluOS that works just fine. I’m prepared for the worst (and I fear inevitable) outcome from Sonos.

I appreciate your desire to provide helpful information, but I also appreciate your understanding that I’m not a beginner and I’m properly disgusted with how this new app situation has been is is being handled.

The story via the iOS app is, unfortunately, the same disappointing mess:  My Library isn’t showing up. Not at all. I’ve shut the app down and restarted it, and still nothing.  It’s the same miserable failure as before.

Hi @Allen J Goldberg, here’s a question: are you “signed in” to your Sonos account on the iOS app? I’ve noticed that is required for my local library to show up in the new app, which is counter-intuitive. Feature flags are now stored in the cloud and it seems that “do you have a local library” is one such flag.

Please let me know if you’re part of Sonos tech staff or, like me, an experienced user.

I’ve followed the instructions you’ve provided (spoiler alert: it doesn’t fix my problem).  Specifically, my music is on a Synology NAS running SMBv2 and SMBv3, the choice depending on the requestor (Sonos).  Using the Windows Sonos app, i removed/disconnected all of my own music directorories, re-attached them (as an NAS category object) and let the Sonos system re-index the result.  That part ran fine, the intended music folders show up (on the Windows app) and plays fine as well as long as I stay clear of my Hi Res content.

The story via the iOS app is, unfortunately,the same disappointing mess:  My Library isn’t showing up. Not at all. I’ve shut the app down and restarted it, and still nothing.  It’s the same miserable failure as before.

The reason I’m not discussing this with Sonos tech support is that I’m confident they’re stressed to the max  already.  Further, I have another entirely separate system which uses BluOS that works just fine. I’m prepared for the worst (and I fear inevitable) outcome from Sonos.

I appreciate your desire to provide helpful information, but I also appreciate your understanding that I’m not a beginner and I’m properly disgusted with how this new app situation has been is is being handled.

No, I’m not a Sonos anything.  Sonos personnel are clearly marked in their username.  I understand why you wouldn’t want to go any further, but if you are having sharing problems, there’s nothing Sonos is going to put into a release that is going to fix it, short of reverting to SMB v1 and/or HTTP sharing (and that’s not going to happen).  Two things to try:

1. In addition to SMB v2/v3 being on, SMB v1 needs to be explicitly turned off.  Others have found when they turn off SMB v1, it shows up in the new app.
  2. Try resetting the iOS app, then reconnecting to an existing system.  This has worked for others when all else fails.