Skip to main content

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

It has now been weeks and the new app is a disaster. I can’t edit or add to the queue. I play primarily from Tidal and previously I could just play all the tracks in my tracks collection but now I can only play one track at a time. Basically the new app has made my Sonos hardware useless.  Unbelievable. 

I don’t use Tidal so cannot comment on that service, but you’re right, there is no queue management in the new Sonos App so far, but little doubt it will land on the published App future feature updates list at some point…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Dear Corry P,

your message has no value. the only thing sonos should do is drop the arrogance and admit that the new version is totally worthless. Just revert to the previous working system, Just quietly mess around in your garage and leave us alone untl when you have something tested and working.

Dear Corry P,

your message has no value. the only thing sonos should do is drop the arrogance and admit that the new version is totally worthless. Just revert to the previous working system, Just quietly mess around in your garage and leave us alone untl when you have something tested and working.

The App can and does work though @bama - if yours doesn’t then you’re best to get in touch with Sonos Support at some point - here’s their link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Hi Ken,

I just tested again and can confirm that IT DOES NOT WORK. At this very moment, the SONOS website says: “Sonos app versin 80.0

The ability to downgrade a Sonos product to S1 is temporarily unavailable, but will return in a future update”.

The problems I have with that:

• Sonos should have had the politeness to warn me when buying the AMPs
  • I now have two AMPS that I fully paid for and are not useable
  • Sonos refuses to turn app back to previous version in order not to block me from using the equipment I paid for
  • Sonos refuses to be more specific on when that future update will be. I could be dead by the time they finished clearing up their mess.

Is the mention of S1 in your post @bama a typo? - only the new App is not compliant with an S1 setup - you need to use the S1 App only for that. Is this where you were looking to get the App from Sonos’ official download site?  …

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

@bama,
Just to show, the new Sonos App is working. See attached from my setup, but note the update 80.*.* is for S2 Sonos systems only…

Exactly. I already purchased new AMPs before and those days, you could easily downgrade them from S2 to S1. And that is exaclty the feature which is missing now. So I can choose: upgrade the whole bunch to S2 about which I hear nothing but complaints, or wait until SONOS has cleaned up their mess and enable downgrade again.

Exactly. I already purchased new AMPs before and those days, you could easily downgrade them from S2 to S1. And that is exaclty the feature which is missing now. So I can choose: upgrade the whole bunch to S2 about which I hear nothing but complaints, or wait until SONOS has cleaned up their mess and enable downgrade again.

Yeah but you can’t use the new Sonos App unless the firmware has been upgraded to S2 - it’s just your earlier post mentions S1🤔 so I’m not sure what type if system your using, but perhaps suffice to say the new App is for S2 systems only. If you’re still having difficulties then you might be best to chat with Sonos Customer Support instead.

New app is just crashing on start, endless loop. Reboot and reinstall not working. 

This app is buggy AF. 

Your dedication to continuing to point these things out will not go unrewarded. 

Could be a device memory issue. However, the OP doesn’t share much information.

That’s the trouble with some of these posts. They post the issue but no context so we can’t help. We’ll probably not hear from this Bumper again. 
;) 

I don’t like the user interface. It feels clunky and confusing. I can’t find things. Lots of wasted space. Difficult to navigate. Disorganized. Slow. Annoying. 

It’s been a very long time since Sonos started. I suggest Sonos look back and try the original interface designs. They where clean, simple, easy to navigate. There is a reason people bought into Sonos in the beginning. Think about that. 

That’s the trouble with some of these posts. They post the issue but no context so we can’t help. We’ll probably not hear from this Bumper again. 
;) 

@Bumper had this issue before when he updated the latest App update over the previous version - something on that particular controller device is possibly getting corrupted - but IIRC it was easily rectified by removing and reinstalling the App. It might be worth submitting a diagnostic and the *.ips crash logs to Sonos Support and let them find the root cause - or post the iOS crash logs online for us all to take a look and try to figure it out.

iPhone 14 Pro. As posted reinstall didn’t fix it. Which is why I posted this in the new control feedback thread. 

Yeah definitely something mysterious on the phone and not the trash controller 🤦‍♀️ 

@Rhonny  rebooting my network didn’t work either. Should I buy a new router or phone 🤣

​​​​@Rhonny  rebooting my network didn’t work either. Should I buy a new router

Does @Bumper have a PiHole or similar currently configured?

iPhone 14 Pro. As posted reinstall didn’t fix it. 

Yeah definitely something mysterious on the phone and not the trash controller 🤦‍♀️ 

@Rhonny  rebooting my network didn’t work either. Should I buy a new router or phone 🤣

It’s not looking like it’s network related  - it doesn’t look like it’s getting all that far on launch. I’m surprised the uninstall/reinstall didn’t fix it - maybe remove the App, close all other Apps, then power off/on the mobile device and then go for the reinstall after its back up and running and online.

Does @Bumper have a PiHole or similar currently configured?

Thank you for the suggestion. I use nextdns but have already gone through the steps of whitelisting all the new domains for the new app. But it’s just been through checking logs, trial and error and community member input so maybe something missed. But Disabling and using 1.1.1.1 produces same result. 

What is expected behaviour now if you open the App with WiFi switched off?  The still working great 16.1 opened fine and told you WiFi was off.  With all the remote access and cloud etc. now, what is it able to do in the App?

First wait for the app to time out phoning home. If it doesn’t crash or freeze or not find your speakers you should be good IME.  

You get the same result with it on or off though?

What is expected behaviour now if you open the App with WiFi switched off?  The still working great 16.1 opened fine and told you WiFi was off.  With all the remote access and cloud etc. now, what is it able to do in the App?

You will not be surprised to learn that “It Depends”. After cutting off your Internet connection ...

• Local library music that is playing continues to play
  • Open and running mobile apps lose very little functionality
  • Newly opened mobile apps lose more functionality

The new app is HORRIBLE!  Laggy, clunky, not intuitive at all.  Major disappointment.  Usually things get better with updates, this for sure took a step back.  I I have 12 SONOS products.  I wish I NEVER purchased them.  It’s basically unusable now.  What a waste of a lot of money.

Does @Bumper have a PiHole?

You disgust me.

Does @Bumper have a PiHole?

You disgust me.

I was being serious. Software can fail when its run in an environment it wasn’t tested, I know some Sonos users are concerned more than others about privacy, and may have adjusted their network to block network connections. I can see how the above may have offended, was not my intention, sorry.