Question

Worst Update Ever

• 10 May 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

After an automatic update to the new Android App, 80.xxx..., I understand that the alarm and snooze functions have disappeared. But additionally my Sonos favorites (podcasts) are unplayable. When I search again for a favorite podcast, I can see its chapters in the found podcast, but adding it to my favorites and trying to play it out of my favorites list always and without exception leads to an unspecific error message. On my wife's Poco mobile, the new app every time crashes right from the start. This is truly the shittiest update I have ever received!

7 replies

Userlevel 2

I fully agree - this is the worst update of any product I ever experienced. I have had Sonos since the dedicated hand held controller. I also have Auralic and HEOS products. Sonos has made listening to music unusable. No add to end of queue? Sluggish response when selecting a song? No response to hitting a song or album? Slow search? Sometimes music library shows sometimes not? Did they not test this thing? After all the money I have sunk with these idiots. They should at least let us roll back the app. We have always accepted the limitations of 16/44.1 (way outdated but seriously undetectable), but to make their products even worse? I may dump it all…

Userlevel 2
Badge

This new app is so full of flaws it will take weeks or even months to fix it. Until then Sonos cannot expect us to simply look at our equipment that is in fact intended to be listened to. I sit on a total of 5 Sonos Amps worth approx. 3.500 Euros that are now useless. A rollback to the latest working version of their app until they have cleaned their mess up is the least I expect in this situation.

I wrote to the CEO via ceo@sonos.com that I wanted either the old app or my money back. Probably this address is an alias for dumpster@sonos.com. After all we are only customers having already paid. The release of the new app shows perfectly how much Sonos cares.

I once was a huge Sonos fan. It takes time to build a reputation, but one can tear it down within fractions of a second. They still dare advertising the new app as a big step forward, offering an "exceptional streaming experience". Well, I guess there's some truth in it, but certainly not in the meaning they insinuate.

I work in IT for 20+ years and this is up there with one of the worst updates I have experienced. I can no longer see the volume number level, sleep timer is completely gone, and half the time it can't find my system. If I turn on a speaker manually and wait one minute, my speakers are now visible. It's like going from Windows 10 to Windows Vista. Maybe beta testing the next update is the way to go using real customers.

Userlevel 2
Badge

... and the album covers are no länger displayed and TuneIn as a service is only available as subject to payment. 

Being an Android user, I googled a bit yesterday and was able to locate a trustworthy APK source outside the  Google Play store. I finally managed to delete the faulty new 80.xx version and to reinstall the latest beige/orange S2 app, version 16.x. Everything works fine again as it used to. No need to mention it was worth the while.

Automatic updates are now disabled on my mobile devices. I have read Sonos was planning to release a first fixing update on May 21st, and another one with supplementing bug fixes in June. No way I will only stare at my equipment by then. An appropriate place for this new app is where the sun does not shine.

BTW, from what I learned yesterday there is apparently no similar downgrade option for iOS users, unfortunately.

Userlevel 2
Badge

PS: I also disabled automatic updates on my Sonos hardware, as I don't want Sonos to force me into the new app by updating my stuff to no longer cooperate with my again active 16.x app. I don't trust Sonos anymore, especially when you read what officials felt to have to say about how much courage it took to step back to open new paths to future bold experiences and all that worthless marketing newspeak. A courage unheard of that makes Sonos equipment unheard, contrary to their customers.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

My biggest problem was that the alarms were no longer available and they have fixed that with their latest update 5/24. But now the app continuously crashes and I have to log out and log back in each time I open the app. Very very buggy...

Can’t reauthorize Apple can’t play next! This is the worst. So many other streaming service and Bluetooth available now. Might be time to give up on Sonos!