Answered

Why do we have to unplug speakers from power to reset. Why haven't you put a reset button in the software?

• 24 October 2023
  • 7 replies

Of course I must not be the only SONOS user who has a setup that prevents me from easily unplugging from AC power.  Why isn’t there a reset button in the software?  Arcane that I have to unplug from AC power.  Is there a way to prove the speakers can’t connect to Amazon Music through the network?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 27 October 2023, 14:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Many years ago there was a reboot over the network option, but this was disabled as a security precaution. If a unit is not connecting to the network, a network initiated reboot command is useless.

Please describe your issue in more detail.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

These are very nice remote switches, I use several on my Sonos that are hard to unplug:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KFMNJLH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Nowhere near as nice but a bit cheaper:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKND86/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

The Sonos Net Tools should be able to do that for you.

http://172.16.1.115:1400/tools.htm  Replace my IP with yours to get the page.

running /bin/ping -c 3 amazon.comPING amazon.com (205.251.242.103): 56 data bytes64 bytes from 205.251.242.103: seq=0 ttl=242 time=72.039 ms64 bytes from 205.251.242.103: seq=1 ttl=242 time=71.541 ms64 bytes from 205.251.242.103: seq=2 ttl=242 time=71.941 ms--- amazon.com ping statistics ---3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet lossround-trip min/avg/max = 71.541/71.840/72.039 ms

Ping6 and the traceroute 4/6 tests to Amazon don’t work to Amazon here. To google.com they do.

The nslookup failed to all sites I tried too but that may be to my network blocking any DNS queries to outside DNS servers.

After considerable effort, I was able to get to the janky power cord connection to my Arc and reboot.  That did resolve my issue. I’ll be putting a remote power switch on this the next time I need to pull the TV off the wall.  Thank you for your suggestion Stanley.  Seems like the network engineers could figure out a way to let the local network reboot but not a signal from outside. Too bad the world has so many bad actors that wreak havoc for the rest of us. SMH 

Seems like the network engineers could figure out a way to let the local network reboot but not a signal from outside. 

I thought they had, insofar as I recall the x.x.x.x:1400/status pages not working from an off-subnet source IP. I haven’t checked lately though.

Also, they did introduce a CSRF token exchange on the original (now blocked) x.x.x.x:1400/reboot URL to avoid rogue webpages triggering reboots. Obviously this wasn’t sufficient to satisfy those wearing a ‘security’ hat.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @MrDownTown 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thank you - I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!

Please note, however, that when support ask you to reboot a speaker, they want a hard reboot, not a soft one - a hard reboot during troubleshooting is far more trustworthy than a soft reboot. So, I for one think it is unlikely that it will be implemented - but it’s not for me to decide.

All it would take to ‘implement it’ is to remove this deliberate block. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ratty 

I suppose it’s more about the deliberate block being unimplemented, then. That just makes it less likely.