When Does a Sonos System Really Sound as Good as It Should?

• 19 May 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7

Hello

Everyone comes to this community to get information on how to get the best performance out of their Sonos speaker system. However, there are very (and I mean very) few threads that start with I just want to tell you how great my Sonos sounds and here’s why”. 

That’s OK…because this community exists to share ideas on what works, what does not and help resolve issues of all sorts. It serves as a venue to vent frustrations and/or utter discuss with Sonos. One member offered to send a video of them burning their Sonos gear as the ultimate expression of their level of dissatisfaction. Thankfully, posts to that extreme are very, very rare.😜

However, after all is said and done most want to know how their system should sound. The recuring answer in this community; regardless of whether or not you have an iOS device to use TruePlay, is to “trust your ears”. If it sounds good to you then your system is properly setup/tuned”. That’s parallel to saying “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”. Although, IMO ugly is ugly; no matter how you spin it. But...hey…I’m just an old fart from the “baby boomer” era. 😂

All jokes aside, I want to leave you with one more colloquialism; as it relates to your Sonos speaker system metaphorically speaking, “the best sounding speaker(s) are the ones you don’t see”

That’s all. Enjoy your Sonos!

Edit: Sorry if the title of this post led you to believe it was going to provide a “silver bullet” (so to speak) on the proper set up of your Sonos. If anything maybe you had a good laugh!😅

1 reply

If it sounds good to you then your system is properly setup/tuned”. That’s parallel to saying “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”. Although, IMO ugly is ugly; no matter how you spin it. But...hey…I’m just an old “baby boomer” fart. 😂

All jokes aside, I want to leave you with one more colloquialism; as it relates to your Sonos speaker system, “the best sounding speaker(s) are the ones you don’t see”

I know guy who has his SUB in a rear corner and all of the tone settings at max. TruePlay is a bust. He loves it. For me it’s beyond UGLY sound. Fortunately, there is no reason for me to hang out there.

“Invisible”? Important for some, not others. Some people don’t want any technology visible. Their idea of good looks is plain color, vintage wood, mirrors, or whatever, as long as there is no suggestion of tech. Even light switches are banished. I know a couple who banishes technology, yet has many hundreds (more likely thousands) little bits of china, vases, pictures, and such scattered about. Walking through the maze is tricky.

Others want a big time display of technology.

It’s similar for cars. Some need a prestige, recently polished car sitting out front. For me a good car gets me there on time and dry. Nothing else matters. I had a great old car that I kept it until it stopped meeting my requirements, but it looked like it would collapse if you attempted to sit in it. Actually, it would pass the state inspection without bribing anyone -- a constant annoyance to the inspectors. TV producers should have purchased this car for their jalopy car display. Mine looked the type, more than anything you’ve seen.