The worst RMA process

• 19 December 2023
  • 5 replies

I own and AV company and have installed and sold literately hundreds of Sonos Products. 

I have to say the RMA process is a complete joke!  I had a bad sonos amp that did not power up and still had to spend 45 mins on the phone doing the most ridiculous troubleshooting steps.   Get put on hold 20 times and had to talk like a robot to the agent because unfortunately Sonos has their customer service out of the country.  

You would think a company like sonos and all the money they make.  That they could at the very least has a US based English speaking customer service and tech support department. 

What an absolute joke and waste of time.    

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @EnzoAV 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thanks for your feedback.

To be fair, if the Amp did not in fact have a fault, 45 min on the phone is quicker than several days waiting on a replacement, so our technical support agents are instructed to always go through the basics, just in case. While you may be experienced in troubleshooting, many of our customers are not, and if a fix can be found that does not involve multiple transits and a replacement item, it’s always preferred.

I can understand why you make your non US bound agents walk any regular Joe Schmoe through that long process.  What I can not understand is how you do not instruct them to use some common sense and listen to the caller on the other end of the phone.   I instructed the agent that I have purchased and sold literally a thousand of your products.  I explained in clear english all the steps I had already done prior.   Yet he still walked me through the ridiculous process. That is called NOT listening to the customer on the other end and NOT using common sense.  

Maybe you should empower your employees to make decisions, instead of being robots. 

On top of it your agent asked me to find another power cord to try.   How many of your regular everyday end user customers have that type of a power cord??  I do because I am an integrator but most other people absolutely do not.  

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." - Albert Einstein

You should follow your own quotation in your response.

Isn’t there a dealer help line?

Buzz,  I wish!   If so I am unaware of one and my distributors are also not aware. 

That would be a great resource for dealers that spend more money with Sonos and have advanced knowledge and experience with AV. 

Hopefully there is a dealer support line and someone here or with Sonos can direct me.

Thank you  ​​​​​​​

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @EnzoAV 

When calling in, you should be able to use option 6 on the IVR (Interactive Voice Response) to get through to the Dealer line. After choosing option 6 in our IVR our agents will be informed that it's a Sonos dealer or Installer calling in, in which case they will have different instructions when setting up an RMA, and will themselves be more experienced. Also, if you have a dealer PIN, using this will put you in front of our support queue.

On top of it your agent asked me to find another power cord to try.   How many of your regular everyday end user customers have that type of a power cord??  I do because I am an integrator but most other people absolutely do not.  

We use universal power cords, and most of our customers have a second speaker with a power cable, so I don’t think it’s that big of an ask. I have asked it of customers myself on numerous occasions and don’t recall anyone failing to do so.

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." - Albert Einstein

You should follow your own quotation in your response.

Asking someone to verify that a unit is indeed broken before getting them to post it for a replacement sounds eminently sensible to me. And that’s not what the quote means - I believe he was talking about the curvature of space and time, and against the concept of common sense.

I hope this helps.