Suggestion: Disable SonosNet so un-wired Sonos use WiFi instead

• 8 August 2023
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Looking at my Sonos setup and considering the new non-SonosNet 100 and 300 speakers (applies to the Roam and Move too.) If I added them I’d now have to have both a WiFi channel and a SonosNet channel in my home.

If I had the ability to switch off just the SonosNet function on wired Sonos, but not the whole radio, then my non-wired SonosNet capable speakers would connect to WiFi instead, eliminating the need for the SonosNet channel.

I do have the option to remove the Ethernet from my wired Sonos to disable SonosNet but I’d really prefer to keep them wired for the best possible connection.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Put the Eras on 5GHz. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Put the Eras on 5GHz. 

Not a fix.

Put the Eras on 5GHz. 

Not a fix.

Not a fix for what? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Set to 5 GHz? Since my setup has only a single SSID for both frequency bands is that possible? 

I’ve read the 300 manual a couple times and I don’t see anything there on selecting a WiFi band for them to use and I don’t have one to experiment with. Splitting the current SSID for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz would be less than optimal for my other devices.

The 2.4 GHz band is getting crowded around here and being able to use just one 2.4 GHz WiFi channel would be nice, now I have SonosNet on the best channel and my WiFi on the second best one. Not having Sonos using a channel for SonosNet when it is not needed would be the best solution for me.

My current WiFi is 802.11ac but I’m looking at 802.11ax options, either WiFi 6 or 6E as an upgrade later this year. I might try pulling the Ethernet connections at that time and see if the new gear gives me as stable a system as SonosNet does now but between all the devices using WiFi here the WiFi only option was not as stable last time I tried it.

Thinking as I post this, I might also consider keeping my current .11ac AP active on what is now my SonosNet channel and pulling the Ethernet to eliminate the SonosNet use and see how stable that is. Still would mean using 2 of the 2.4 GHz channels, using 2 of the 5 GHz ones wouldn’t be an issue.

The more I think the better the option to disable SonosNet on wired Sonos seems the cleanest option.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Why wouldn’t you want to simply turn off the the radios? I mean that would achieve what you want or not? I’m not sure what benefit you have if the radios of the wired units are still turned on.

If SonosNet needs to be retained then one can always get a small 5GHz AP to service the Eras and wire it to the nearest (non-Era) Sonos device, whether that be wireless or wired.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

My own experience is that Sonos works just as well, with added benefits (see below), on a WiFi vs SonosNet, which contradicts what I originally anticipated before disabling the switch ports that the Sonos devices are connected to.

Depending what WiFi system you have or upgrading to, you should get better visibility of the network devices and associated stats to help optimise the network vs the old school Sonos STP Network Matrix.

The 2.4Ghz channel that was used by SonosNet will become available for you to use on your WiFi in addition to the existing channel(s) being used.

Indeed. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Sonos worked distinctly better on a WiFi mesh. The bands are split and all Sonos units forced to use 5GHz, save for the home theatre master players. In fact the latter are the only devices I have which still need 2.4GHz WiFi. (There’s a bunch of Zigbee stuff on 2.4GHz, gatewayed separately.)

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Set to 5 GHz? Since my setup has only a single SSID for both frequency bands is that possible? 

I’ve read the 300 manual a couple times and I don’t see anything there on selecting a WiFi band for them to use and I don’t have one to experiment with. Splitting the current SSID for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz would be less than optimal for my other devices.

Here is a complete list of  Sonos devices. If a device supports 5GHz, and 5GHz is available it will connect to 5GHz vs 2.4GHz on the same SSID. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/supported-wifi-modes-and-security-standards-for-sonos-products

I run same SSID for 2.4 & 5 (best practice), and my Sonos devices that support 5GHz are all connected to 5GHz.

If a device supports 5GHz, and 5GHz is available it will connect to 5GHz vs 2.4GHz on the same SSID. 

It should, but sometimes it doesn’t. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

If a device supports 5GHz, and 5GHz is available it will connect to 5GHz vs 2.4GHz on the same SSID. 

When I said ‘available’, I mean there is a strong enough signal available for the client to connect to. If it doesn’t connect, then it will connect to 2.4GHz, if available on the SSID. I’m not sure what the threshold is on Sonos devices, I would guess around -70dBm.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Why wouldn’t you want to simply turn off the the radios? I mean that would achieve what you want or not? I’m not sure what benefit you have if the radios of the wired units are still turned on.

If I turn off the radio I also disconnect the Surrounds and Sub.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I did an experiment earlier. I had iPhone and Roam with excellent 5GHz signal inside, took both outside, both re-connected to excellent 2.4GHz band, Roam was streaming, no interruption due to band change, all as expected.

I returned inside, iPhone reconnected to 5GHz, but Roam stayed on 2.4GHz, even when paused. I don’t have band steering enabled, as I prefer the clients to make their own decisions. 

Conclusion: We were both correct, but maybe @ratty was very slightly more correct than me. 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

This is interesting and giving me some good options.

Still, for me it would be nice to be able to let all my other Sonos connect on the 5 GHz WiFi while still keeping the Arc/Beams wired for the better stability and to reduce the traffic on 2.4 GHz.

Looking at craigski’s list above my currently wired Arc and Beams seem to be the only Sonos I have needing 2.4 GHz so un-wiring may be a workable option.

I did an experiment earlier. I had iPhone and Roam with excellent 5GHz signal inside, took both outside, both re-connected to excellent 2.4GHz band, Roam was streaming, no interruption due to band change, all as expected.

I returned inside, iPhone reconnected to 5GHz, but Roam stayed on 2.4GHz, even when paused. I don’t have band steering enabled, as I prefer the clients to make their own decisions. 

Conclusion: We were both correct, but maybe @ratty was very slightly more correct than me. 😀

The Roam fell off the 5GHz SSID when out of range, and the 2.4GHz SSID was the only one it could see.

Moving back inside the Roam didn’t … well ... ‘roam’ back onto the 5GHz SSID. This is known behaviour. You’d have needed to reboot it. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

What video streaming hardware/source(s) do you use, and are they wired or wireless?

What video streaming hardware/source(s) do you use, and are they wired or wireless?

Not sure who the question was addressed to, but the answer’s both. The BT IPTV box is wired (via EoP); FireStick and Sony Bravia stream all the usual suspects (Amazon, Apple TV+, etc) in 4K wirelessly. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Conclusion: We were both correct, but maybe @ratty was very slightly more correct than me. 😀

The Roam fell off the 5GHz SSID when out of range, and the 2.4GHz SSID was the only one it could see.

Moving back inside the Roam didn’t … well ... ‘roam’ back onto the 5GHz SSID. This is known behaviour. You’d have needed to reboot it. 

Same SSID, same AP. The Roam should ‘roam’ back to 5GHz though, it may be known behaviour, but it is it correct behaviour for a device that is designed to ‘roam’?  

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Not sure who the question was addressed to, but the answer’s both. The BT IPTV box is wired (via EoP); FireStick and Sony Bravia stream all the usual suspects (Amazon, Apple TV+, etc) in 4K wirelessly. 

Sorry, was directed to OP Stanley. I was suggesting that video, especially 4k devices should be wired if possible, that will help with reducing wireless traffic that he was concerned about.

Same SSID, same AP. The Roam should ‘roam’ back to 5GHz though, it may be known behaviour, but it is it correct behaviour for a device that is designed to ‘roam’?  

Correct? No. By design? Evidently. The Roam won’t roam onto a much stronger AP, broadcasting the same SSID, same band/channel. The original signal has to fall below a certain threshold before the Roam will detach. 

Sorry, was directed to OP Stanley. I was suggesting that video, especially 4k devices should be wired if possible, that will help with reducing wireless traffic that he was concerned about.

Ah, okay. 4K devices streaming wirelessly shouldn’t trouble the bandwidth on a decent 5GHz AC/AX connection. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I have all my TVs wired so they aren’t a problem, what is a problem are my WiFi security cameras, two of which I haven’t been able to wire due to their location.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Looking at craigski’s list above my currently wired Arc and Beams seem to be the only Sonos I have needing 2.4 GHz so un-wiring may be a workable option.

Go for it, you can always plug it back in. I had 3 wired devices, I disabled ethernet ports on switch rather than disconnect.

I tested by playing a 4k video to Arc, then grouping all devices ‘party mode’ to the Arc, I did this before I disabled Sonos ports on switch (testing the test) , and again after. I also had pings running in backgroud to a couple of older Sonos P1 devices to check latency. There maybe a better test, but this was sufficient for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

So I went shopping for newer network gear and was looking at WiFi 6 stuff when I noticed 6E gear was also available. I was a bit put off by the 6E prices but since it was a shiny new thing to me I decided to look into it a bit more.

Turns out 6E brings with it mandatory WPA3.

https://www.mist.com/documentation/practical-considerations-for-deploying-wi-fi-6e/

First and foremost, WPA3 or OWE are mandatory in 6 GHz.  So for many customers to adopt 6 GHz, also means adopting WPA3.  This isn’t as daunting as it may seem, but there is some nuance to consider.  You should understand the devices on your network the best you can, as well as driver versions.  In some environments, especially with a large bring-your-own-device population, this may not be entirely feasible.  

Looking at the Sonos WPA3 support I realized several of my Sonos aren’t able to do that.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/supported-wifi-modes-and-security-standards-for-sonos-products

So no 6E for me, but since I have no 6 GHz gear anyway it is no big loss for now. The WiFi 6 gear is on order and I’ll be updating my setup using it then trying my Sonos on the new WiFi. Worst case I can use my old gear on a different channel to connect to my other problem devices and see how things work.