Spotify Connect Groups

• 13 January 2022
  • 7 replies

I think as many others I would love to be able to use Spotify connect to start music directly into groups.

Echo Devices from Amazon are shown in Spotify Connect but also the individual groups that are existing.

So my request to Sonos would be to let the central Sonos speaker which might also be the Ethernet connection for the Sonos net also cast speaker groups for each existing group and also always keep each individual speaker shown in Spotify connect instead of overwriting it with the current grouping since someone might want to split up this group within Spotify. Specially for guests it’s more convenient to use their Spotify app instead of having to download the Sonos app first.

i am aware of that Echo devices report themselves over the cloud instead of the network but I don’t see there any problem why this shouldn’t also work for Sonos to report virtual speaker groups over the network.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Sonos has nothing to do with the functionality in the Spotify app, aside from supplying the API.  You should ask Spotify for these changes.

If I group my Sonos Rooms/Speakers in the Sonos App, as an example. (Dining Room, Main Bedroom, Media Port & Moveable) and then goto the Spotify App, I can then see that ‘group’ in my ‘Connect’ device list and then play to that group. The issue with Sonos groups is they are dynamic and so you just need to have the group setup before using the Spotify App.

If I group my Sonos Rooms/Speakers in the Sonos App, as an example. (Dining Room, Main Bedroom, Media Port & Moveable) and then goto the Spotify App, I can then see that ‘group’ in my ‘Connect’ device list and then play to that group. The issue with Sonos groups are they are dynamic and you just need to have the group setup before using the Spotify App.

Yeah I know but I am talking about the group pre-sets that you can define in Sonos.

Sonos has nothing to do with the functionality in the Spotify app, aside from supplying the API.  You should ask Spotify for these changes.

It’s not a Spotify thing. Sonos just can use the existing API and simply send more „virtual“ speaker groups to Spotify. The how Sonos handles the request from Spotify to play the music on the hardware is Sonos own business non off the business from Spotify. And even if that’s the case Spotify will listen more to Sonos than a private person that isn’t envolved in the development of these products.

If I group my Sonos Rooms/Speakers in the Sonos App, as an example. (Dining Room, Main Bedroom, Media Port & Moveable) and then goto the Spotify App, I can then see that ‘group’ in my ‘Connect’ device list and then play to that group. The issue with Sonos groups are they are dynamic and you just need to have the group setup before using the Spotify App.

Yeah I know but I am talking about the group pre-sets that you can define in Sonos.

Ah I see your point, but you can create a Sonos group on the fly anyway from the Spotify ‘Connect’ menu, simply by selecting the ellipsis (…) option and choosing the option to ‘Group Rooms’.

It’s not a Spotify thing. Sonos just can use the existing API and simply send more „virtual“ speaker groups to Spotify. The how Sonos handles the request from Spotify to play the music on the hardware is Sonos own business non off the business from Spotify. And even if that’s the case Spotify will listen more to Sonos than a private person that isn’t envolved in the development of these products.

In my years of dealing with these types of questions, I've found the services listen to paying customers far more than a hardware vendor with whom they have no monetary relationship.   If I were you I'd be making a stink on the Spotify forum.

Ah I see your point, but you can create a Sonos group on the fly anyway from the Spotify ‘Connect’ menu, simply by selecting the ellipsis (…) option and choosing the option to ‘Group Rooms’.

i also saw that now but still guests will be bothered to download the Sonos App first and lets be honest. the Sonos App isn’t really a gain in usability if it comes to playing music from Spotify.