spliting my wifi network

• 24 December 2021
  • 2 replies

After 3 years of using my speaker with no issues, and with no change to my internet provider, wireless network, or position of the speaker, my system stopped working. I tried resetting about 4 to 5 times and, after having no success, finally phoned support. The agent was courteous and, I believe, used all options at her disposal, but after 1.5 hours on the phone and repeating reconnection/reset steps at least five times, the solution is for me to call my ISP and split my 5ghz network from the 2.4ghz. I read a bit about this and see that while doing this is possible, it can introduce problems with connectivity for everything else in my home. I have no desire to manage networks for my various devices, so the speaker has become useless to me.  Just wanted to post in the event others have experienced this issue. I think the solution offered by Sonos is difficult and will not be buying a Sonos product again. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Why didn’t you just cable the speaker to the router, just to see if it then works? - even if you were to just do that temporarily? The simple option then might be to add a Sonos Boost.

What might help you, or others here, is to identify the make/model of the router not least because others here may have the same router and know how to resolve your issue, or it might let others know to perhaps avoid using that router.

Userlevel 7

Hi

Actually separating the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi bands typically improves performance. It allows devices to connect readily to their preferred band or allows you to manually select the connection.  However some devices will not allow band separation. Please provide info on your hardware such as ISP provider and equipment type.