Sonos, you are not Alexa.

• 30 December 2023
  • 2 replies

I have used Sonos in Chicago and also in New Jersey.  I have had many problems connecting from my iPhone.  Sometimes I want sound in one room, but my iPhone cannot detect the exact room.  There seems to be a lot of connectivity issues.  I have experienced joy with Amazon Alexa because she always gets my song right and plays it on time.  Unfortunately, Sonos cannot figure out what I want.  Lady Gaga?  Elton John?  Just play it.  And, if you have these long sound bars and you want to turn the volume off or make the volume lower, why is it so difficult to figure out?  I have spanned my hands on this stupid bar, and I cannot get it to turn off.  Sonos devices are not user friendly.?? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello @Varvolley11, welcome to Sonos Community!

I’m sorry to hear you are having issues connecting to Sonos through your iPhone and also getting incorrect and delayed responses from Sonos Voice Assistant.

I do not have enough information to assist you, are you trying to connect via AirPlay or through the Sonos App? A network refresh by restarting your router might help your situation.

A very helpful Support Article if you want to have a look at how to Improve your Sonos product’s WiFi connection.

You can also find a complete List of voice requests for Sonos Voice Control.

If you are still experiencing issues I would definitely recommend you to reach out to our Sonos Support for some live troubleshooting, as they have tools at their disposal to provide you with information and advice specific to your system and what it reports.

Thank you for the feedback and I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7

Hi

Also in addition to @Sotiris C. excellent advice…here’s one more possibility specifically related to your iPhone.

We’ll assume your iPhone is running the latest iOS. We’ll also assume that there are no VPN’s installed on your iPhone.

All said above…have you checked the internal storage capacity of your iPhone. Low storage will affect the loading of the Sonos app as there may not be enough “free space” to allow the app to load.

From time to time internal space may become available due to emails or messages being deleted and/or apps being closed. When that happens the Sonos app will load. However once other items as mentioned begin to use space the Sonos app may not load causing a repeat of the issues wherein your iPhone cannot find your speakers/system.

All just said is speculation but without more information that’s the best alternative possibility I can offer outside of network issues. Maybe others may have a different take.