Sonos not connecting to new fibre router

• 17 August 2023
  • 3 replies

After moving over to giggaclear fibre broadband every smart device connected to my new Linksys mesh giggaclear router except for my sonos soundbar and seperate speakers. Days of trying to reconnect did not work. Today I have spent 4hrs speaking to broadband provider and finally sonos support.

For anyone else who has a similar problem here is the fix. Sonos Only likes connecting  to 2.4ghz where the new router sends out 5ghz. Speak to your broadband support and they will show you how to split the 5ghz and 2.4ghz into two separate networks, this is actually really simple and I'm no tech head.

Then make sure your sonos app has the latest updates. 

Factory reset each sonos product (do this one at a time) - Instructions on you tube for this very simple.

Then the device you use to open the app make sure it is connected to the 2.4ghz connection (rename this your sonos 2.4ghz connection)

Go through the new set up instructions and it will work. Apply this process to each sonos product you  have. It worked for me. Sonos support were amazing. Horea your a superstar he was patient and was on the phone to me for nearly 1hr trying to work out all the issues i had which i won't bore you with.

Anyway good luck.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This seems a bit overdone to me. If the problem is 2,4 and 5Ghz network having the same SSID, you could just temporarily turn the 5Ghz network off (often, for example on my Deco’s, you cannot split the system to use different SSID’s) and connect Sonos using these steps: https://support.sonos.com/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

There’s almost never a need to reset Sonos devices.

When I spoke to my broadband provider this was a common problem for them and I had to speak to several advisors who all were aware of this issue. Once you know how to do it takes 5 mins. It's more to do with the sonos system specifically. The complicated part was getting the sonos speakers to connect.

Hats off to Horea for being my Sonos savior! With his Jedi-like tech skills, he guided me through the Wi-Fi maze and got those speakers singing again. If you ever need a tech wizard who's also a great chat, Horea's your superstar. Thanks a million!