sonos is unusable

• 21 October 2023
  • 19 replies

Userlevel 1

We have multiple Sonos components.Playbar w/ sub. Play5. 4 x Play3. 4x Play1. We use the Sonos 2 App. Our WiFi is strong throughout the house. 

the issues: 

1. Speakers get out of sync while playing the same song and when grouped. 
    2. Speakers will stop playing for no reason. 
    3. Speakers will not play. 
    4. speakers will play erratically. Music plays then stops then starts then stops. 
    5.  Speakers will not be found. 
    6. Music services that previously worked stopped working.

These problems are so severe the system is not usable. We will be trashing our entire Sonos system. No amount of troubleshooting has resolved the issues. No information from Sonos (the company) has helped resolve the issue. 

We have been longtime customers and we are very disappointed in the decline of the business playback quality. 

Adios Sonos!!!

BobE0302 6 months ago

Ken, ratty and buzz….thank you for your suggestions. I appreciate your help and advice.  I was able to connect with Gabriel at Sonos. He used a new Sonos Diagnostics report and solved the problem. There was an IP issue. The Somos system is now working!!! We will play for a few hours and see if the issue reappear. Gabriel did say if the issues reappear the. He will have me troubleshoot WiFi Interference next. Enjoy your music! 

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

If you are not allowing the possibility that there are issues on your network, there is likely no solution. Good signal strength does not prove that the network is healthy. Have you worked with SONOS support?  

I never pay attention to anybody who claims they are throwing thousands of dollars of electronics in the trash.  They are either liars or the dumbest humans on Earth; neither of which I want to talk with.

@BobE0302 

The 6 issues you list in your post are all classic symptoms of a poorly configured network with wireless interference and multicast device discovery issues…

Stating things like "Our WiFi is strong throughout the house” is somewhat irrelevant if the network is still poorly configured.

You may still prefer to say ‘Adios Sonos!!!’, but you really do need to explore these things further, as some simple changes, such as those mentioned in the below Sonos Support links, may actually quickly help you resolve your network connectivity woes…

Or there could simply be an IP address conflict. All the symptoms listed in the OP are those of packet loss. In other words: it’s the home network.

Userlevel 1

If you are not allowing the possibility that there are issues on your network, there is likely no solution. Good signal strength does not prove that the network is healthy. Have you worked with SONOS support?  

Thanks buzz….Yes I have worked with Sonos Support. There was no solution. I have sent a half dozen diagnostic reports to Sonos and there was no solution or improvement.  I’ve tried the troubleshooting steps on the website and as guided by the app. We have experienced no improvement. 

Userlevel 1

I never pay attention to anybody who claims they are throwing thousands of dollars of electronics in the trash.  They are either liars or the dumbest humans on Earth; neither of which I want to talk with.

“jgatie, well you did pay attention as you responded…..nice attitude by the way…enjoy your life…”

Thanks buzz….Yes I have worked with Sonos Support. There was no solution. I have sent a half dozen diagnostic reports to Sonos and there was no solution or improvement.  I’ve tried the troubleshooting steps on the website and as guided by the app. We have experienced no improvement. 

So what have you done exactly (with or without the help of Sonos Support), to try to resolve the issues you mention?... perhaps begin by mentioning the make/model of router, the wireless channels and channel-widths in use. The wired switches (managed/unmanaged). The Sonos ptoducts that are wired (if any)/ if using SonosNet, or those that are wireless. The distance of the wired products from your WiFi AP’s. 

Once you share the basic information, then perhaps some suggestions can then be made by users here in the community.

Userlevel 1

@BobE0302 

The 6 issues you list in your post are all classic symptoms of a poorly configured network with wireless interference and multicast device discovery issues…

Stating things like "Our WiFi is strong throughout the house” is somewhat irrelevant if the network is still poorly configured.

You may still prefer to say ‘Adios Sonos!!!’, but you really do need to explore these things further, as some simple changes, such as those mentioned in the below Sonos Support links, may actually quickly help you resolve your network connectivity woes…

Ken…thank you. We are troubleshooting WiFi interference now with Sonia Chat. I appreciate your suggestion. Bob

I’m disappointed that you had no results with SONOS support. Your issues strongly suggest network issues and these leave clear tracks in the diagnostics. Without any details regarding your SONOS and network setups, we cannot offer much additional help.

Userlevel 1

Ken, ratty and buzz….thank you for your suggestions. I appreciate your help and advice.  I was able to connect with Gabriel at Sonos. He used a new Sonos Diagnostics report and solved the problem. There was an IP issue. The Somos system is now working!!! We will play for a few hours and see if the issue reappear. Gabriel did say if the issues reappear the. He will have me troubleshoot WiFi Interference next. Enjoy your music! 

There was an IP issue.

Specifically?

If it was indeed IP duplication/conflict this can be prevented henceforth by simply reserving fixed IP addresses in your router configuration.

@BobE0302 Perhaps you’d care to amend this post now:

Sadly, I have similar experience during last year or more, the system is not reliable anymore. I am using Sonos since 2009 and I have always liked, that the system was very easy to set up without spending hours trying to understand possible network or other problems or contacting support. Those times are probably gone. I saw it clearly after purchasing a Gen2 product for my TV. I was not able to integrate it into one Network with other Sonos Gen1 products I have all over the house.  Also Sonos Gen1 products are not reliable either anymore. Sometimes they will function normally but more and more often they show errors, music discontinues playing or I am not able to play it at all. Probably it is due to WiFi boosters in my house but I have always used them and some 5 years ago it was not a problem. I have used Sonos in many different loacations and in defferent settings over the years and it always functioned seamlessly, not anymore though.  Now I also am thinking about selling the system (I have 7 gen1 Play5 and 1 Gen2 soundbar), the system very often is unusable and I am not an expert in Network set-up and do not have time to deal with it constantly...

Sadly, I have similar experience during last year or more, the system is not reliable anymore. I am using Sonos since 2009 and I have always liked, that the system was very easy to set up without spending hours trying to understand possible network or other problems or contacting support. Those times are probably gone. I saw it clearly after purchasing a Gen2 product for my TV. I was not able to integrate it into one Network with other Sonos Gen1 products I have all over the house.  Also Sonos Gen1 products are not reliable either anymore. Sometimes they will function normally but more and more often they show errors, music discontinues playing or I am not able to play it at all. Probably it is due to WiFi boosters in my house but I have always used them and some 5 years ago it was not a problem. I have used Sonos in many different loacations and in defferent settings over the years and it always functioned seamlessly, not anymore though.  Now I also am thinking about selling the system (I have 7 gen1 Play5 and 1 Gen2 soundbar), the system very often is unusable and I am not an expert in Network set-up and do not have time to deal with it constantly...

List your router and we can walk your through the process of reserving IP addresses.  It’s not hard, maybe a slight step above changing a WiFi password.

List you router and we can walk your through the process of reserving IP addresses.  It’s not hard, maybe a slight step above changing a WiFi password.

My Modem is ch8568lg, provided by the Telenet in Belgium. More information on the modem you can find on their site: https://www2.telenet.be/residential/nl/klantenservice/internet/modem-en-andere-toestellen/alles-over-je-telenet-modem.html?multisolution_attribute=CH8568LG

My Modem is ch8568lg, provided by the Telenet in Belgium. More information on the modem you can find on their site: https://www2.telenet.be/residential/nl/klantenservice/internet/modem-en-andere-toestellen/alles-over-je-telenet-modem.html?multisolution_attribute=CH8568LG

As is often the case with ISP provided modem/routers, that one doesn’t have a facility to reserve IP addresses.  THe best you can do is make sure there are no duplicate IP addresses in use by doing the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.  Note, if you relegated the Telenet device to just a modem and purchased a separate router, it is a simple process to reserve IP addresses with a normal router.  

As is often the case with ISP provided modem/routers, that one doesn’t have a facility to reserve IP addresses.  THe best you can do is make sure there are no duplicate IP addresses in use by doing the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.  Note, if you relegated the Telenet device to just a modem and purchased a separate router, it is a simple process to reserve IP addresses with a normal router.  

Thanks! ISP usually provide internet using their own modems. But can I exchange that modem to something more appropriate? I have rebooted Sonos/Internet already more than once during last months. I doubt it will solve the problem long-term. Are there any other options? Could I buy my own modem and exchange it with ISP provided modem/router? And if yes, which model would you recommend so that Sonos functions (price is probably not important)? 

Thanks! ISP usually provide internet using their own modems. But can I exchange that modem to something more appropriate? I have rebooted Sonos/Internet already more than once during last months. I doubt it will solve the problem long-term. Are there any other options? Could I buy my own modem and exchange it with ISP provided modem/router? And if yes, which model would you recommend so that Sonos functions (price is probably not important)? 

Yes, your own router or router/modem combo would allow you to reserve IP addresses.  Any of the regular models - Netgear, Arris, Linksys, TP-Link etc. will do.  A modem/router combo would replace the unit you have, or you can just link the WAN port on a normal router to an ethernet port on the current one, and only connect any other devices to the new router’s WiFi/Ethernet. .

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

It looks like you could set your modem/router to Bridge Mode and turn off the internal WiFi. That keeps the modem active but passes the network connection through to an external, customer supplied router.

If you aren’t seeing issues with your coax connection that is the route I’d take so the ISP can keep the modem updated to meet their latest offerings. (That is important so either keep yours or buy one the ISP fully supports.)

Add on any good quality consumer WiFi router and you will have much more control and a lot of nice features.