Answered

Sonos crossfade doesn’t work anymore

• 22 January 2022
  • 9 replies

Hello,

I’ve noticed a few moths ago that crossfade doesn’t work anymore, whatever the streaming service I use: Qobuz, Bandcamp, SoundCloud…

My setup:

• Sonos Connect (2nd generation)
  • Sonos OS: S2
  • App version: 13.4.1
  • Hardware version: 1.17.5.5-2.1

Could someone help me fix this?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 25 January 2022, 20:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Crossfade is supported for tracks that are currently in the SONOS Queue. If you are playing tracks directly from a service (tracks are not in the SONOS Queue), then support of crossfade would be a feature of the service.

Hello Buzz,

The tracks are in the Sonos queue. My listening habits didn’t change, I lost cross fade.

Crosssfade was originally setup for tracks stored on a local hard drive or computer. Near the end of the current track the next track is fetched and the next track fades in during the last 10 seconds of the currently playing track. On music services fetching the next track might appear to the service as attempting to play two tracks simultaneously and I can imagine that some services will not allow this. Another potential issue occurs if the last few seconds of the current track and/or the first few seconds of the next track are silent because one is effectively crossfading silence.

have no experience with your services. Potentially, the services have changed something -- such as adding silence to the end of tracks..

Finally, you could be having network issues. If the system is struggling to maintain connections, there is no opportunity to build a 10 second buffer for the current and next tracks. Overall, SONOS does a great job of working through network struggles without any audible evidence, but there are limits. You can submit a diagnostic and ask SONOS support if you are experiencing any network issues.

Thanks for your detailed answer, I’ll look into it.

As for the streaming services, I know they didn’t add silence at the end of every track (I made listening tests) and I would be surprised if they had all decided at the same time to prevent crossfade.

A few things:

1. I don’t have any network issue: Sonos stays connected, my bandwidth is good (test on speedtest.net).
  2. Sonos OS was updated today to 14.0 (both the Sonos Connect itself and the iOS app), but that didn’t fix the problem.
  1. Speednet measures the speed between your computer and the outside world, and not the speed between your router and your speakers, or between your speakers. It’s good for some things, not ideal for the kind of thing buzz is talking about. You may want to still check the wifi interference FAQ for any potentials. 

Hello @Airgetlam,

I use an ethernet cable to link my Sonos Connect to my router.

And the CONNECT is your only Sonos device? That certainly knocks out the potential I was discussing. 

Have you tried to contact Sonos support directly? As @buzz indicated, Sonos doesn’t have a lot of control over whether or not a particular streaming service supports, or stops supporting the API for crossfade, but it’s entirely possible they might see something in the diagnostic that you submit that would be hard for buzz or I to tease out, since we don’t have access to the hard data it holds. 

Yes, the CONNECT is my only Sonos device.

I’ll follow your advice and contact the support.