Sonos app crashing and showing rooms not connected but are.

• 13 December 2022
  • 86 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

So I’m watching a Dolby Atmos movie and all is good. I happen to open the Sonos app and see rooms that say not connected and has the red dot by each. So I go to open a room that says no connection on the app and the app crashes to the iPhone Home Screen. Also, one of the rooms listed as not connected is my main tv room. But, I never lost any sound from the Arc, sub, or Ones and watched the entire movie with no interruptions.Then the bathroom room disappears on the list of my system , and two kitchens appear. Then tv room appears twice listed. Never happened before. Wondering if it’s the same on my iPad. Ideas? 

Corry P 1 year ago

Hi All

I have one more request - could some of you please record a screen-capture video of the logged-in/logged out behaviour? Our forum won’t allow the uploading of videos, but if you could attach it to a reply to the last email you received for an existing, related technical support case and let me know here when you have done so, and I’ll forward it to our engineer buddy again. Or, upload to YouTube and paste a link here, if that’s easier for you. Thank you.

Please don’t post any case numbers or email addresses - I’ll be able to find your cases with a quick search.

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

86 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Dogdad 

Thanks for your post!

Unfortunately, the app cannot tell the difference between your Sonos devices being offline and it simply being unable to communicate with them. I just checked your system from the cloud and it’s all currently online.

I recommend checking which WiFi your phone is connected to, and if that’s correct, reboot your router by switching it off for at least 30 seconds.

Rebooting your phone and considering any recent app installs that may affect networking (like VPN software) is also worth trying.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@Corry P thanks for your reply and checking. Why would the app crash and go to iPhone Home Screen? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Dogdad 

I don’t know - that’s pretty unusual behaviour. I presume it had to do with trying to open the settings of a room that’s “disconnected”, but that shouldn’t have caused the app to exit. Nothing in the app is likely to be able to fix whatever caused this to happen, however, so I don’t recommend spending too much troubleshooting time in the app other than to check if rooms are connecting to it again.

This really looks like a networking issue, though I presume nothing has changed or you would have mentioned it - hence the recommended reboot of the router. If you have a single, ethernet-wired Sonos product, please try a reboot of that too, after rebooting the router.

If your network topology consists of anything other than just a router, please let me know.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@Corry P .. I tried posting a video of the app crashing but only able to post pics.. hopefully it doesn’t persist.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Dogdad 

Are you now able to see your rooms in the Sonos app once more?

Edit: Or rather, do they no longer show as disconnected?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Dogdad 

Are you now able to see your rooms in the Sonos app once more?

Edit: Or rather, do they no longer show as disconnected?

They show back up as connected. Then later another room or two or three show as not connected. However, all speakers are working fine when this happens. So I don’t see why it would come up on the app like this. Evidently, it’s an issue with many as it’s been posted a lot in FB Sonos group forums. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Dogdad 

I’m glad to hear things have improved.

It’s an issue with many networks, yes. You said it yourself - the speakers still work, so are clearly still connected. Therefore, for some reason, communications between your phone and your Sonos system are being partially blocked.

Aside from possible topological concerns, there could be a source of multicast flooding on your network - if so, certain packets may be unable to reach their intended target, resulting in what you see.

Assigning static IP addresses to your permanently-connected devices may improve matters.

If you do have a single, ethernet-wired Sonos device, it may be worth changing the ethernet cable - an unstable connection due to a damaged cable could also produce such results.

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports - it’s better than guessing.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@Corry P ..thanks for your response.. I still wonder on the timing if this with the 14.20 update. And what exactly does the 14.20.1 do or fix? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Dogdad 

I think the main change was adding French to Sonos Voice Control.

You may well have a point, however:

https://support.sonos.com/en/article/release-notes-for-sonos-s2

Current software version

Release date: 12/6/2022

In this update:

• Sonos Voice Control is now available in French.

• Sonos products will now show a status message in the System tab or the Settings menus when they’re offline. We’ll be rolling this change out to all users over a few days after release.
    • Products that are offline or disconnected will no longer disappear from the app. Instead, they’ll show a “not connected” status message. Tapping the name of the product will launch in-app help to get it reconnected. Learn more.
    • Portable Sonos products will let you know if they’re in sleep mode, powered off, or if the battery has been depleted.
    • If a product is disconnected and you’d like to hide it from the app, you can do so under the product’s menu in Settings System.

• Roam has two new Bluetooth settings which can be enabled in your Roam’s settings page.
    • Idle Auto-Disconnect will disconnect the Roam from its Bluetooth device after an idle period of 30 minutes.
    • Always Auto-Connect will connect your Roam to its most recent Bluetooth device when it detects it nearby.

• Bug fixes and performance enhancements.

Apologies - I didn’t quite catch on to the fact that you were, in part, reacting to the new behaviour from the app regarding disconnected devices (or ones from which no response has been received, for whatever reason, as is your case).

So the fact that you can see disconnected devices in the app is now expected behaviour, but the fact that they are showing as disconnected is not, if you get my meaning - you will now be shown that devices are missing, but that’s obviously not what we want to see. In addition, the app should clearly not have crashed when tapping on a “disconnected” device to attempt to fix the problem. My advice regarding what may be causing the issue remains, however, and still applies. Please do contact our technical support team to not only investigate the issue with your network, but also to document the app’s unwanted behaviour - at this stage of a new feature’s roll-out, it really would be most helpful. Thank you.

If you still have the video of the crash that you tried to post here, tech support will find it very useful, I’m sure.

I hope this helps.

I am having literally the same issue.  I just spent over an hour with Sonos support and they still couldn’t figure out the issue.  I have had the same “setup” for years (same router, same speakers).  But recently, the system on the app completely crashes.  It will say that a whole bunch of speakers are “not connected” (in fact, most of not all of them) even though the speakers are operating just fine and still playing music, etc. 

Interestingly enough:  The system works 100% FINE (all speakers identified, all speakers and rooms working as normal) if I “LOG OUT” of the app (ie, connect to the system but just stay logged out of the app).  It’s only when I LOG INTO the app does the entire system (on the app) crash and say “NOT CONNECTED” with a red symbol beside it.

I suspect this is a systematic bug in the Sonos system and that it will need to be patched if enough of us complain. 

To be clear:  as long as I use the system while not logged into the app, the system is 100% fine (every speaker, every zone works perfectly).  It’s only when I log “INTO” the app that the app goes haywire and says every speaker is NOT CONNECTED.

Very strange.

This is what my system looks like when I log in (it says a ton of speakers are NOT CONNECTED, even though they are and working fine)

AND here is the same system as long as I just “log out” of the app:  Every speaker in every zone in my house works 100% perfectly.

​​​

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hey,

I am experiencing the same issue. I do have an iPhone SE 2020 and the app keeps crashing, it will show my system as not connected even though upon restarting it a couple of times the system will reappear. It‘s been a real problem ever since updating to 14.20. Please fix the app - the problem is clearly on your side and not on our network. 

I agree with KiWi2106 - if I restart the app enough times eventually the speakers will all show as connected….but I have to restart the app about 10-15 times to finally get it.  More often than not, if I just open the app, it shows every speaker as “NOT CONNECTED”

however, as soon as I “log out” of the app, everything shows up as connected perfectly. 

very strange issue, but just started since 14.20 so hopefully someone is working on this issue… we can’t be the only ones! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@Tyeinstein .. have you done the 14.20.1  ( applies to speakers only) ? After I updated to this I have no issues.

Yeah, all 11 of my speakers are all 14.20.1. 

I am considering just “factory resetting” every single speaker and rebuilding my entire setup from scratch...maybe even with a new email address and creating a new account and everything so that there are no traces to my old account.  The issue only exists when I log into the app. If I stay “logged out” of the app, the system works perfectly (I just can’t do certain things like update the system, etc).  

It’s so annoying that I might just start from scratch and hope for the best…. 

@Tyeinstein, It may suffice to reboot the router followed by all of your Sonos devices.

Yeah, all 11 of my speakers are all 14.20.1. 

I am considering just “factory resetting” every single speaker and rebuilding my entire setup from scratch...maybe even with a new email address and creating a new account and everything so that there are no traces to my old account.  The issue only exists when I log into the app. If I stay “logged out” of the app, the system works perfectly (I just can’t do certain things like update the system, etc).  

It’s so annoying that I might just start from scratch and hope for the best…. 

Don't factory reset, it does nothing to help that a reboot won't do.  

Your symptoms are classic indications of duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device.  To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.  Note you can prevent this from happening again by reserving IP addresses for your Sonos devices in your router setup.  See your router manual for instructions.

Thank you, both.  I’ll try doing that again.  I have already tried unplugging the modem, router, and every single speaker and maybe more slowly (one by one) plugging everything in that sequence.  It didn’t work for me before, but perhaps need to do it slower.

the only thing that worries me is that the system does in fact work completely fine, but only when I’m signed out of the App.  If I’m signed out, every single speaker and system works as it always has.  It’s just when I “log into” my account in the app does everything go “NOT CONNECTED”, which is why I think it’s a problem with my sonos account itself somehow, not my IP addresses or system.  But I will try before I reset everything and set up a new sonos account.

just very strange the system would work fine when I log out, just crashes when I log in 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@ Sonos: Ever since updating to 14.20.1 my app keeps crashing, I am not able to see my system and I cannot start my speakers.

What happened? Please fix this, this is becoming a major nuisance and problem.

and yes, I’ve restarted both my Router and my speakers and there have been absolutely zero changes to my network. 

Mine too.  However, by chance….  do you run a VPN in your house?   I was having the same issue as you, but I just disconnected the VPN in my router and it appears to have fixed the issue (no crashes since I disconnected).

Now…. with that said: I’ve been running a VPN in my house for 4 years, and never had an issue with my sonos system even once….. but since I updated to 14.20.1 it seems the VPN is the cause of my system crashing.  Might be the same for you….  
wondering if something new in the 14.20 update (like the silly feature of seeing all your disconnected speakers) goes haywire with VPNs 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Mine too.  However, by chance….  do you run a VPN in your house?   I was having the same issue as you, but I just disconnected the VPN in my router and it appears to have fixed the issue (no crashes since I disconnected).

Now…. with that said: I’ve been running a VPN in my house for 4 years, and never had an issue with my sonos system even once….. but since I updated to 14.20.1 it seems the VPN is the cause of my system crashing.  Might be the same for you….  
wondering if something new in the 14.20 update (like the silly feature of seeing all your disconnected speakers) goes haywire with VPNs 

Thanks for your update. I really appreciate it :)

I am using Apple’s iCloud Private-Relay but this isn’t systemwide, is it? It should only be for Safari/web browsing and mail. 

I am having the exact same issue after years of no issues. I tried rebooting and even a factory reset of all my devices. When I am not logged in the app everything works fine too.. It must be something with the app.

However, my Alexa devices also say “sorry something is wrong” since the issue started. I wonder if this is because of my sonos devices being connected to Alexa…

Everything else in house works fine. High internet speed and good signal. I did not change any router changes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi All

We are aware of an issue causing the Sonos app to crash when the Sonos Ray drops offline in a Home Theatre setup, and we are working on a resolution. We currently have no timescale to share.

If you are experiencing crashes of the app under any other circumstances, please get in touch with our technical support team for the issue to be documented.

If a speaker is displayed as offline in the app when it is clearly online (can play music via voice, for example) then there is an issue on your network that is preventing the speaker from reporting back to the app properly. Again, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports, though I’d certainly try a reboot of your router first.

I hope this helps.

Just to add my experience, on a brand new two device system, newly installed S2 app. Beam (gen 2) set up two days ago and Sub mini set up yesterday. Start playing a dvd, all works as expected. If I then open the app (14.20 on iPad iOS 15.0) and I am logged in, in System - Settings it says ‘[my system name] - Not connected’. If I then navigate to System - Products, it continues to say “Not connected”. If I then try to navigate further the app crashes every time. Both devices are still operating though.

if I log out and restart the app, everything looks as expected, including the Sonos System Information section showing both devices connected. I can navigate throughout the app with no issues. If I then Sign In, the app reverts to the previous, repeatable buggy state detailed in the first paragraph.

if it matters, the sub is wired; the beam is wireless. When I’m logged in, it’s the beam that is showing as ‘not connected’. The sub shows the same connection information if I’m logged in or not logged in.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ukwvkg 

Sub or Sub Mini perform much better when not connected with an ethernet cable - especially when part of a Home Theatre setup.

If you encounter app crashes for any reason other than tapping on an unconnected Ray, please get in touch with our technical support team to document the issue. Thanks.

if it matters, the sub is wired; the beam is wireless. 

This is a highly effective way to sabotage your system.  It would be much better to wire the Beam and not the Sub.  Failing that, don’t wire either device.