Sonos - a possible road ahead for the app

• 10 May 2024
  • 5 replies

I have seen the firestorm break out in 2020 over S2 and a bigger one now over the May 24 App.

My view, for someone to take forward inside Sonos in any way that makes sense. If it makes sense.

Sonos hardware is neutral to what it plays. It will serve just as well for Apple Music as it will for Spotify. Or for radio stations. Or even, let us remember, for local libraries on a NAS. Obviously this is the sensible thing to do, as compared to offering hardware that only plays music via Sonos; letting users choose from providers that do music services best, is the approach that has worked very well till now.

Why can the same thinking not guide how the app works? I will take a simple use case to elaborate, of someone using Sonos hardware for playing music from Spotify and from a local NAS. Also for simplicity, let us keep aside the SMB stuff where local NAS is concerned.

In the above use case, the Sonos control app needs to do just two things - first, to set up and configure Sonos hardware and then do tweaks like EQ/Trueplay. Or manage groups or any other management of Sonos hardware. All of this, wirelessly, via the app.

Second, it needs to play music from local libraries on a NAS. Much the way S1 does this today. Little needs to change from the way this has been done for over a decade, and with this the needs of the shrinking user base of NAS supplied music are well covered.

The app from 2018 or so is more than enough for both of the above.

Where music from Spotify is concerned the Sonos app need have no role to play, as it does not today. From the Spotify native app, one can do everything up to the point of selecting which Sonos speaker or group that the music should be played on. 

But if any user of services prefers another service, they should be able to do just this, using the native app of that service - most cases, the service is picked on the basis of which native app is preferred; the music libraries vary little across services.

For this, the Sonos task would be to have as many streaming services as possible be able to hand over music to Sonos speakers as can be done by the Spotify app. By proactive work, not just by doing what Sonos does today of sitting back and having the service provider do what it takes to cast music to Sonos in the way Spotify can.

Sonos would do nothing for streaming service users in its app. Why does Sonos need to invent an app that tries to be everything for all users? The Sonos app should revert to what it was in the past - a wireless remote for Sonos hardware, in app form. And users would need to revert to the Sonos app only when hardware is to be added or tweaked. Or to play music from their NAS.

This is how I use Sonos today - for weeks on end I don’t open S1. I use the Spotify native app for music played through Sonos. I open S1 only on the now rare occasion of playing music from my NAS.

I suggest that Sonos should revert to what it does well for hardware - along with the provision of the music, let UI for music selection also be fully in the domain of the music provider, who is better equipped to do all the latest eye candy singing/dancing stuff in his UI. Users that prefer the eye candy of another music provider, should use that service, and cast the music from inside that app to Sonos.

Sonos can then shut down app development and focus on the hardware side; with development continuing to only include the necessary work to keep its reduced functionality hardware control app in shape and aligned with Sonos hardware changes. And save everyone - in Sonos and among users - from all the churn caused by things like S1, S2 and this latest S 2.1 for want of a better term. Even the issue of memory overload driven failure of units will be addressed by this approach.  

All this seems to be so obvious, that I must be missing something. Yes, I have left out things like radio and maybe some other things, but that is a matter of detailing out that is premature to attempt just now.

5 replies

I don’t use Sonos for TV, but I imagine those that do must be using the Sonos app in the same way as suggested above, for hardware set up and tweaks. For daily TV viewing, the remote supplied by the TV maker or the video streamer maker like Apple or Amazon must be all that is used?

Another data point, Echo. The devices don’t even have an app, and yet they can do all that Sonos kit does for music play except playing from a NAS. Set ups are done via the Alexa app that does this for all Alexa devices, music play including volume control is done either via voice command or by selecting the target Echo device/group in native apps like that of Spotify. All just works. No one outside Amazon usually knows or cares about what version the Alexa app or the devices are running. 

Why is Sonos unique in needing something that is just more cost and, going by recent events, a nuisance to users?

When Sonos started it needed dedicated controller hardware that morphed into an app once smart phones came; there were no streaming services then. Today there are, each with its unique app/UI. Why can Sonos not just leverage whats out there for users for free or as part of the monthly fee? Just as it leveraged smart phones back in the day and did away with the need for CR100/200? If those could be jettisoned then, why not the Sonos app now, leveraging what’s out there in the UI for each streaming service?

Word will follow to elaborate if the picture loads:

Both the Echo and the Connect supply analog signals to the signal sensing input jacks on the Pioneer speakers. In the picture Spotify is playing Dinah Shore on the Pioneers. The Connect is used for NAS music play via the S1 app, or, more often by just a button press of a preloaded large playlist set to shuffle mode.

The Elac speakers do have jacks that could take both these sources, but can be temperamental in switching sources, so they are dedicated to the adjacent TV for sound, via HDMI cable to an HDMI Arc jack, that allows volume to also be controlled by the remote to the Amazon Fire Cube that is wired to the TV.

All simple to operate with little need to invoke any app. Music play should be spontaneous, and in my book, not need too much faffing around with apps. If I wanted to do all that faffing around, I would still be playing vinyl.

In place of the Pioneers, a Sonos 5 pair would serve just as well, making the Connect redundant.

Now that this thread has been cleaned up and is back on track:

This ongoing matter of the app has reached the Washington Post now, that has a balanced article on this drama:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2024/05/17/sonos-new-app-update-problems/

What’s happening to Sonos speaker owners is a cautionary tale. As more of your possessions rely on software — including your car, phone, TV, home thermostat or tractor — the manufacturer can ruin them with one shoddy update.

Sonos’s app release and how the company initially handled complaints were a blueprint for how to inspire loathing.

Apt, these extracts from the article.

Much of this comes from how Sonos sees itself and for that the words that CEO Spence uttered recently are enlightening:

Our app is a proof point of what we have always said. We are the story of software eating audio. Our software truly differentiates our products from everything else on the market and is key to unlocking the opportunity.

While I - and quite a few others out there - see Sonos as just a maker of wireless audio kit. And the app is just a remote in that paradigm.

Staying on S1 will let me use Sonos products in that manner, as audio kit, as easily as I have since 2011, without hankering for more from it. I learnt my lesson to stop hankering and just enjoy the music during my audiophile days and have no wish to go back down another rabbit hole now.

But choose to move with Sonos in the way it would like to see itself - the “software eating audio” paradigm - and a simple thing like listening to music becomes a roller coaster of dubious highs and certain lows like the present times, as part of some Sonos endeavour to unlock some unstated opportunity.