Product idea: Could Sonos speakers double as wireless mesh network nodes?

• 18 January 2022
  • 1 reply

I don’t really see a place here for future product suggestions.

At a big box store I noticed that a wireless mesh network system had nodes whose design somewhat resembled the Sonos One. 

It occurred to me that Sonos speakers might be able to double as mesh wireless nodes, or at least as repeaters.

I have no idea of whether this is technically possible in current hardware, but my rough understanding is that Sonos already does something like mesh networking to keep music in perfect sync.

If not possible in current hardware, perhaps in a future product line? (Though I do appreciate your singular focus on delivering great audio...)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

It actually was possible at one time to connect android devices to Sonosnet, but this feature was turned off a few years back.  I don’t recall exactly if there was a technical reason for this, or if Sonos simply did not want to support the feature, or have risk the wireless performance of their speakers by providing features that doesn’t impact audio.  That’s going to be especially true as WIFI standards increase, but Sonos has to rename focused on keeping it’s older speakers functioning with the modern speakers as long as possible.

edit:  I think I would prefer to see Sonos partner with a networking company to create a router setup that automatically recognizes Sonos  devices and priorities them over other, or something similar.  Essentially does all it can to make Sonos more reliable.  It would be nice too if Sonos support could see what’s going on with the router via diagnostics.