Long requested: Multi-Stereo from TV

• 29 April 2022
  • 2 replies

Hey Sonos Community,

Just providing a feature request — “Full” or “Multi-Stereo” output from TV would be amazing. I know Sonos surround systems do this for music inputs, but they won’t do it for TV. 

My use case is I listen to a lot of music on my Apple TV and currently my Beam surround system up-mixes stereo to Dolby Surround. This sounds terrible in my opinion — really washy, it cuts in and out and puts all of the sound on the beam instead of across all of the speakers evenly. 

My suggestion to Sonos is a simple toggle button under the “Surround Audio” menu on the Sonos App that says “Don’t up-mix stereo sources to Dolby Surround”. 

It’d fit well under the current setting for “Music Playback” as “Full” or “Ambient” under the same menu. 

Thoughts? Sonos can we make this a thing?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Also, if you switch off Trueplay in the HT settings, you can manually adjust output to the rear surrounds by setting their distance to more than > 10ft (3m).

@polarbear_ed,
This has been suggested in forum threads here quite a few times in the past. Whilst it’s not been introduced by Sonos thus far, have you perhaps tried adjusting the ‘TV Level’ to +15 in the Sonos HT Surround Audio Settings, as that will shift some of the TV playing audio over to the rear channels.