Question

How do I edit my privacy settings in Sonos? New TOS issue.

• 13 June 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge

Your new ToS or EULA states that you can use my private data within Sonos. How can I set my preferences to not do this? I bought your products without these terms and now I feel as though I have been subject to ransomware… accept this or don’t use your Sonos products. I have invested in your products and do not wish to trash them.

7 replies

Userlevel 2

If you dig through the T&Cs they note some things you can do (e.g. go to the footer of sonos.com to “my privacy choices”). Unless you live in California/Virginia/UK? I don’t think you can opt out entirely, if you are using their products. I just scanned it though, didn’t read in depth, so I’m open to correction.

Badge

I just read the privacy info on their website. Apparently the only way to opt out is to email them. IANAL but this may only pertain to those living in California or Virginia. I do live in Virginia. I am surprised…. not really… that they would force this onto their customers in Virginia. It seems to be on the edge of illegal?

I guess I’ll email them. How sad.

The buried email address is privacy@sonos.com if others would like to know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Laws change with the times. Legal agreements have, for a long time, tended to include a phrase to the effect “we reserve the right to modify these terms from time to time”. This was one of those times, it would seem. 

I just read the privacy info on their website. Apparently the only way to opt out is to email them. IANAL but this may only pertain to those living in California or Virginia. I do live in Virginia. I am surprised…. not really… that they would force this onto their customers in Virginia. It seems to be on the edge of illegal?

I guess I’ll email them. How sad.

The buried email address is privacy@sonos.com if others would like to know.

If you want to opt out of the functional usage data I wonder what the privacy people will say as the system is set out to require it for you to use it. Please post back with their response  

FYI, and apologies if you’ve already done this, but If you want to opt out of the additional usage data, you can do this in the app go Account>Data and Privacy>additional usage data and turn it off. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Problem is after you close and restart the buggy App on iOS, settings are back on again.

Problem is after you close and restart the buggy App on iOS, settings are back on again.

Sonos reset the preference on me when I installed the new app. But it’s held for me since. I wouldn’t be surprised if you experienced different though as the app is buggy AF. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

It resets every time I force close the App back to ON after restart (Use Personalisation Services as well).