Dolby Atmos

• 30 September 2023
  • 11 replies

Hello community ! 
I came here for some help so any answers would be greatly appreciated . 
And please I only ask to lessen all the technical rubbish from your answers please and thank you . So basically a yes or no and if yes an explanation / instruction on how to . I know some technical stuff but am new to it all and it will drive me nuts and most likely confuse me lol . 
So here goes , I have had bad luck with my Sony Bravia A90J 4k tv , both my 120hz 4k hdmi ports have QUIT  working so,,, currently I have no use of getting Dolby Atmos sound or true 4K 120 hz video while streaming 4k content with Dolby Atmos sound available on my tv or with the PS5. :( 
My current set up is I have my Play Station  5 hooked up to my Sony tv’s hdmi 1 port ( Enhanced setting turned on with my tv settings for that hdmi output )and my Sonos Arc hooked up with the Digital optical cable ( that came with the Arc) to my Sony Tv digital cable input .
My tv settings for audio is with the arc use turned off ( because I am not using it obviously ) and the rest is set for Dolby digital sound only with pass through on auto and Dolby dynamic range to compressed , a/v sync is on , digital audio out to Auto 1 . 
Yes it’s still a very good picture and my sonos system sounds amazing still ( system includes . Sonos Arc with 1 gen 3 Sub and two Sonos 1’s gen 2 as front speakers and two Sonos 1’s gen 2 as surrounds ) 

So first question is is there ANYWAY to get Dolby Atmos sound (without )using the Earc hdmi port on my tv ( cause it’s broke ) while streaming on the Tv with Dolby Atmos available content ?? Or through my PS5 ?? 

Can I hook my Sonos Arc directly to my PS5 with the Dolby Atmos settings turned on on the PS5 with a high speed hdmi  cable ?? Then maybe get an adapter for the ps5 ( as we all know it only has 1 hdmi port ) to run another hdmi cable to my tv ? Yes I know I still wouldn’t be getting 4k true HD video but I would hopefully like to at least get the Dolby Atmos sound . 

I have googled so much and for so much time waisted and still haven’t found a direct answer to my question ! 
I have read No you cannot get Dolby Atmos without using Earc and have read yes you can get Dolby Atmos by hooking up my soundbar directly to my PS5 , but maybe have like a delay in audio . ??? So what is is people ??? 
And YES I have tried all the resets with the Sony Tv and the refreshing of the hdmi cables and tried different cables etc., all of it and nothing works with those 2 hdmi 120hz 4k ports 😞  also ALL of my updates are up to date on everything , the TV my sonos app and my PS5 . 
So can somebody please help me and answer this question  . PLEASE ! 
If it’s a NO I can’t get Dolby Atmos sound and I’m screwed I will live with it untill i can get those 2 ports or the board inside the Sony tv repaired / replaced . But if there is a way to get Dolby Atmos sound without any issues or delays in audio video sync etc ., please tell me how to do this with  my current set up or with buying an adapter of some sort . I will be waiting for an answer . And thank you to all who does take the time out of their busy lives to respond ! Have a great day ! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

I would like to add to this . 
If I can’t get Dolby Atmos sound without using the Earc hdmi port then what would be the best set up for my system for streaming movies /listening to  music and watching them on the PS5 and playing games on the PS5 ? 
I have the Sonos Arc soundbar 

1 gen 3 Sub 

and 4 Sonos 1’s gen 2 speakers 

PlayStation 5 and Sony Bravia A90J TV . 
Any set up help would be appreciated thanks ! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hmm. You want answers on a question without “technical rubbish”? Isn’t this “rubbish” not why the devices you use exist?

The Arc must be connected an HDMI-ARC or eARC connection. HDMI-ARC will give Atmos from most streaming sources (like Disney+). An eARC connection is needed for use with an Apple TV or blu ray player. HDMI-ARC or eARC are found on TV’s only. They use a different wire in the cable to transport audio.

This means you cannot connect your PS5 directly to the Arc. There are some device ps made by Feintech and HDFury that translate normal HDMI to HDMI-ARC oor eARC. Since the eARC connection on your TV is broken you could connect your Playstation to this device and then to the Arc, but you would not get sound from the TV yo your Arc.

In short: best way to get sound again is to fix the HDMI connections on your TV, of buy a new TV.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

This may help https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

That’s te one I meant. This will not give you sound from the TV though, since the HDMI-eARC connection on that is broken.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

That’s te one I meant. This will not give you sound from the TV though, since the HDMI-eARC connection on that is broken.

Yea it may not be that straight forward to get multiple inputs to play to the speakers but I’m sure you can add a switcher somewhere in the mix. Off the top of my head I’d say 4 port HDMI switcher to HD Fury Input, then Fury hdmi out to the TV and Fury eArc out to the Sonos Arc Input. 

Feintch makes such a switch combined with an eARC generating device.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Feintch makes such a switch combined with an eARC generating device.

Yea it looks like that’s exactly what he would need 

FeinTech VAX04101A

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Catch2244

I‘m using the FeinTech VAX04101 myself and it really does a great job. It supports eARC and in your case you can connect up to 3 devices like the PS5 as inputs. The switch / audioextractor comes with an ir remote control to switch easily between the input sources. 
Also I can confirm that FeinTech support is absolutely amazing if you need help. 
As mentioned you just can’t get audio from your TV because of the broken eARC port. So if there’s something missing with the PS5 I recommend buying a cheap fire tv 4k stick with Atmos support as a second input device and using the tv as a monitor. 

Thanks to all for the help and the replies ! It is most definitely appreciated ! 
Didn't mean to offend anyone on the “ technical rubbish “ statement . My apologies ! 
 I have done so much research on set up and technical issues it gets very frustrating when your not up to par or even close on as to what to do and what to use and the “ terms “ used . And you have no clue as to what people are talking about and yes some videos for help topics and forums ( not on this one ) it seems these people just talk and talk and advertise and  NOT ever just give a straight answer and  some answers / solutions are just mostly incorrect  lol . 
As a lover of Sony products most of my life I now feel incredibly bummed about my New Sony Tv and these hdmi ports not working :/ 

I worked many many years of overtime and finally had enough funds to buy this set up and since I don’t get out much anymore and have always loved and enjoyed some music and or a great movie on the big screen during the downtime this purchase or purchase’s was a huge deal for me ! 

And now I have to come up with even more money to get things fixed or replaced and HOPE the techs i get to do the job take pride in their work and not mess up anything else or then I may be out over 3 grand for this Sony tv , ugh . 
Oh well right . 
Anyways I will try this device out and these suggestions from you all . Thanks again ! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So your TV is new? Seems strange the HDMI would not work and this would not be covered under warranty. Can you explain how you concluded the HDMI’s do not work?

No it’s not new , sorry , yes I had mentioned “ new “ but it was purchased back in march 2022 . And yes the warranty has expired . 
I unfortunately didn’t purchase any extra or further coverage for the tv . Yes very dumb on my part . 
I guess the TV was still “ New” to me . 
Those 2 ports were working then suddenly just stopped . It was just all so very random …. I will note the night they both quit working the TV and my sonos app and the PS5 itself ALL had updates due and they were all done one by one prior to this issue . So I kinda thought maybe the TV’s new update itself brought on the issues possibly .
But I had called Sony support and they said this new update was not the issue . 

Luckily I can still use the tv and I DO have sound .

Got my firestick and PS5 hooked up to my standard hdmi ports , the Tv has 4 . 
And have my Sonos arc hooked up with the Optical cable it came with . 
Sorry I didn’t mention all this before so it’s not a total loss BUT that’s why I spent so much money on these products to watch 4K movies in 4K and to hear them in Dolby Atmos sound :( 

To answer your question , the night they both quit working I did a ton of research online and called Sony Support for the Tv and the PS5 both . They led me through all the trouble shooting , Tv resets , trying different tv settings , trying new cables , trying hooking up other devices to those 2 ports and nothing worked at all . And the Sony Support tech was in control of the tv and sending signals and trying different  settings and they said “ Unfortunately it seems like you have 2 bad hdmi ports”Then asked if I wanted to purchase more protection and suggested taking the tv into Best Buy to be worked on repaired , whatever etc.,  

Yes not all a total loss but still very very upsetting when the tv’s main and most important functions do not work after a year and a half . 
So now work more OT and get those 2 ports replaced or just buy the Feintech device and use that .