Skip to main content

**Class Action Lawsuit** We all deserve to recoup all hardware investment

If ever a situation called for a class action lawsuit, this is it:

• Company sells customers expensive, multi-unit hardware systems
  • Tethers customers to a software ecosystem to use them effectively
  • Dramatically changes software into an auto-update environment
  • Unsuspecting customers lose access to extensive, core media sources and features that significantly diminish the value of their expensive hardware and/or make it untenable for usage they had every reason to believe they would continue to have
  • Customers wishing to continue meeting these essential needs forced to sell Company hardware that they had no intention of doing at a loss and buy competitor hardware.
  • Pattern of behavior by Company indicates that choices made to remove said functionality were part of an intentional, plan to damage the product experience of many users in favor of others.

Seriously. This would be like selling someone a car and then updating the operating system so that the steering wheels was controlled by AI instead of manual because there’s more profit there for the company.

Even if they resolve this issue with their awful software release, how much in damages are deserved for every customer for heir lost time and undue harm?

The store value of my hardware suite, which I had no intention of replacing is probably $7,000 - $8,000. How much do others have invested who believe they need to leave SONOS?

I am not someone who can start a class action lawsuit, but I’m sure there are people here who can, and I’d be at the front of the line to join it and recoup my losses. If you feel similarly, then bump up this thread so that SONOS is held accountable

I agree. It is amazing to me that as purchasers of Sonos products we get oops so sorry and yea we’ll have it all fixed by November! What kind of customer service is that???????

it’s true that counsel in CA suits do very well for themselves. What I know is that I spent thousands of dollars on equipment that worked fine until May, and now I can’t adjust the volume, group and ungroup speakers, start and stop music, to say nothing of the functionality that was intentionally removed. If I’m not a victim, what am I?

I tend to use the “victim” label on things which actually victimize someone, especially when mentioned in the context of a class action suit, like poisoning of ground water, bad drugs that weren’t tested properly, car manufacturing mistakes, Boeing aircraft mishaps, etc.; not temporary loss of features on a music system which the manufacturer has promised to remedy.  I call it having perspective. 

Let’s see if it actually turns out to be temporary.

So far, Sonos has come through on Alarms, Sleep Timers, adding a library, a couple queue additions, local search, and have indicated more are coming.  While no schedule is perfect and I suspect with the pace they are under things will be late more often than early, but all indications point to them being temporary (despite the doomsayers who claimed these things were removed and never coming back). 

So far, Sonos has come through on Alarms, Sleep Timers, adding a library, a couple queue additions, local search, and have indicated more are coming.  While no schedule is perfect and I suspect with the pace they are under things will be late more often than early, but all indications point to them being temporary (despite the doomsayers who claimed these things were removed and never coming back). 

I don’t understand why the most basic stuff like volume control and having the stop button work reliably didn’t come first. Makes me extremely skeptical that they’ll be able to solve them on the new architecture. But let’s see. 

I don’t understand why the most basic stuff like volume control and having the stop button work reliably didn’t come first. Makes me extremely skeptical that they’ll be able to solve them on the new architecture. But let’s see. 

Those controls do work (they are working fine on mine and many other systems).  You may be experiencing discovery problems due to the new app using a completely different discovery method (mDNS instead of UPnP).  I would contact Sonos support to see if there’s maybe some configuration tweaks to get discovery to be more reliable on your system. 

I’m getting increasingly unhappy with the app.  My music services keep dropping, naming is not updating, super slow performance bringing up my Apple Music services, search is slow and painful, combining rooms and changing services or music choices is slow and giving a terrible experience.

I would seriously consider joining a class action lawsuit. 

I would seriously consider joining a class action lawsuit. 

One small problem: no one has instigated anything. Lots of claims that folk are “consulting a lawyer”, lots wanting to know how/where to sign up, but still nothing happening. And still no lawyers amongst the thousands of Sonos users has stepped forward to take on the case. 

Those controls do work (they are working fine on mine and many other systems).  You may be experiencing discovery problems due to the new app using a completely different discovery method (mDNS instead of UPnP).  I would contact Sonos support to see if there’s maybe some configuration tweaks to get discovery to be more reliable on your system. 

I have called Sonos support and followed their instructions and those controls still do not work. Volume adjustment is the worst. I basically have to touch the speaker to change volume, and grouping and ungrouping speakers is a nightmare. Takes at least 3 attempts every time I try to change it. Play and Stop require multiple tries each time. The app tells me at least once a day that there is no Sonos on my network. Sonos support ran diags multiple times and all they did was tell me to change the SonosNet channel, as if I hadn't already tried that while I was on hold for 45 minutes waiting to talk to them. All of this worked perfectly fine for years before the update.

This lawsuit needs to happen! This is ridiculous!

This lawsuit needs to happen! This is ridiculous!

While waiting, submit a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission (or, if you’re not in the U.S., the local equivalent). “Bad business practices” are within the FTC purview, and a few thousand filings from angry SONOS customers might get their attention. The key point to highlight is that unilateral and arbitrary action on the part of SONOS suddenly caused your well-functioning home audio system to stop working. No need to worry whether what SONOS did was or wasn’t “legal”; that’s for the FTC to figure out.

I am in the same situation as the rest. In total agreement in comparison to buying a car that won’t operate after forced update or recall . I would gladly join a class action if for nothing else , to achieve negative publicity for Sonos , adversely affect investor returns and put a financial penalty in place as a lesson. I’m not invested as much as many of you, but the idea of having a $4000 boat anchor is unacceptable, especially since it is simply a coercive method to require customers to buy the newest hardware.

I’m happy to sign up for any action and am considering my own private action, again, simply as punitive to hopefully change this behavior - or at least publicly alert other consumers of Sonos questionable business practices. It would cost me 5x’s my Sonos investment to pursue any action, but as angry as I am, it’s the only non violent approach I can think of. 

• Unsuspecting customers lose access to extensive, core media sources and features that significantly diminish the value of their expensive hardware and/or make it untenable for usage they had every reason to believe they would continue to have
  • Customers wishing to continue meeting these essential needs forced to sell Company hardware that they had no intention of doing at a loss and buy competitor hardware.
  • Pattern of behavior by Company indicates that choices made to remove said functionality were part of an intentional, plan to damage the product experience of many users in favor of others.

Seriously. This would be like selling someone a car and then updating the operating system so that the steering wheels was controlled by AI instead of manual because there’s more profit there for the company.

Even if they resolve this issue with their awful software release, how much in damages are deserved for every customer for heir lost time and undue harm?

The store value of my hardware suite, which I had no intention of replacing is probably $7,000 - $8,000. How much do others have invested who believe they need to leave SONOS?

I am not someone who can start a class action lawsuit, but I’m sure there are people here who can, and I’d be at the front of the line to join it and recoup my losses. If you feel similarly, then bump up this thread so that SONOS is held accountable

Count me in!! Where do we sign up?! 

So sick of this useless app and now redundant speakers 

A class action lawsuit isn’t like a JustGiving page where you sign up… Someone actually has to seek legal counsel and whilst many have said they have done so (even talking about the amount of funding they’ll put into it), after 16 weeks there hasn’t been even the slightest indication that a lawsuit has actually been taken to a lawyer and/or been deemed viable.

Plus it isn’t one country fits all. Because of regional variations in the Ts&Cs, there would likely need to be multiple suits globally to cater for all disaffected users.

A class action lawsuit isn’t like a JustGiving page where you sign up… Someone actually has to seek legal counsel and whilst many have said they have done so (even talking about the amount of funding they’ll put into it), after 16 weeks there hasn’t been even the slightest indication that a lawsuit has actually been taken to a lawyer and/or been deemed viable.

Plus it isn’t one country fits all. Because of regional variations in the Ts&Cs, there would likely need to be multiple suits globally to cater for all disaffected users.

You’d think, too, that amongst the thousands of affected users at least one was a lawyer or solicitor prepared to take on the case, or at least offer some advice. The fact that none have stepped forward lends weight to the belief that the action would fail. 

Not to mention the fact that Sonos appears to be actively working on fixing the issues, given the various statements from the CEO and the fortnightly updates (which is now one day overdue incidentally...) - so it would be very hard to implement any litigation against a company that is in the process of remedial work. By the time any case is prepared, there might be little evidence of anything actually being wrong, other than an online record of disgruntlement. 

+1

Given the general level of pain this is causing, to us and SONOS, I don’t understand why they don’t re-release the old App, at least while they sort this out. It’s been a few months now since I lost acces to my Music Library. Such a basic functionality flaw is making me rue my AUD$8,000 investment in 13 SONOS products. I’ve been patient but ….

Given the general level of pain this is causing, to us and SONOS, I don’t understand why they don’t re-release the old App, at least while they sort this out. It’s been a few months now since I lost acces to my Music Library. Such a basic functionality flaw is making me rue my AUD$8,000 investment in 13 SONOS products. I’ve been patient but ….

If you ever do an internet search for “Sonos news” you’ll find all sorts of articles including ones where Sonos were considering releasing the “old” S2 app, and then explaining why this now can’t happen. 

The “2-week roll-out cycle” of updates should continue over the coming months. 

AIUI some music library access is available. 

We need to organize all hardware-breaking issues caused by the new app and gather a list of people interested in participating in a class action lawsuit. I was about to start a new thread about this myself. Reports are pouring in from users who’ve spent thousands and had working hardware for years only to find their systems rendered inoperable by the app update.

To make matters worse, Sonos support has no chat agents available during business hours, and phone support is currently 70+ minutes to speak to someone (yesterday it was 50+ minutes). I submitted my research and evidence to The Verge to potentially cover this situation and expose Sonos’s questionable business practices. I am going to continue gathering evidence, and if anyone would like to participate in a class action suit please respond to this thread and I’ll follow up with you.

Interested in joining and help organizing a class action suit against the Sonos company. Please keep me posted on any movement in that direction - surprised a law firm hasn’t already jumped on this obvious opportunity. 

We need to organize all hardware-breaking issues caused by the new app and gather a list of people interested in participating in a class action lawsuit. I was about to start a new thread about this myself. Reports are pouring in from users who’ve spent thousands and had working hardware for years only to find their systems rendered inoperable by the app update.

To make matters worse, Sonos support has no chat agents available during business hours, and phone support is currently 70+ minutes to speak to someone (yesterday it was 50+ minutes). I submitted my research and evidence to The Verge to potentially cover this situation and expose Sonos’s questionable business practices. I am going to continue gathering evidence, and if anyone would like to participate in a class action suit please respond to this thread and I’ll follow up with you.

Interested in joining and help organizing a class action suit against the Sonos company. Please keep me posted on any movement in that direction - surprised a law firm hasn’t already jumped on this obvious opportunity. 

The fact that they haven’t suggests the opportunity is not an obvious one. 

I just want my damn money back.

Count me in. 

Count me in. 

In with what?

Yep, agree, I’ve battled with this system for the last few years. At the end of the day we spend a small fortune at the trust of these big companies and they take the money with no ‘expiry’ for products when you buy them. I have battled with slow app speed and rubbish connection and now just changed to pro fibre broadband only to find rubbish Sonos can’t be found on the system. Vote with your feet. Ditch it and time to move on. So unhappy with lack of care about customers from Sonos. 

Edited this post as my next post contains a suggested solution.