Skip to main content

**Class Action Lawsuit** We all deserve to recoup all hardware investment

If ever a situation called for a class action lawsuit, this is it:

• Company sells customers expensive, multi-unit hardware systems
  • Tethers customers to a software ecosystem to use them effectively
  • Dramatically changes software into an auto-update environment
  • Unsuspecting customers lose access to extensive, core media sources and features that significantly diminish the value of their expensive hardware and/or make it untenable for usage they had every reason to believe they would continue to have
  • Customers wishing to continue meeting these essential needs forced to sell Company hardware that they had no intention of doing at a loss and buy competitor hardware.
  • Pattern of behavior by Company indicates that choices made to remove said functionality were part of an intentional, plan to damage the product experience of many users in favor of others.

Seriously. This would be like selling someone a car and then updating the operating system so that the steering wheels was controlled by AI instead of manual because there’s more profit there for the company.

Even if they resolve this issue with their awful software release, how much in damages are deserved for every customer for heir lost time and undue harm?

The store value of my hardware suite, which I had no intention of replacing is probably $7,000 - $8,000. How much do others have invested who believe they need to leave SONOS?

I am not someone who can start a class action lawsuit, but I’m sure there are people here who can, and I’d be at the front of the line to join it and recoup my losses. If you feel similarly, then bump up this thread so that SONOS is held accountable

226 replies

I’m in $10k+ spent just spent 1.5 hours on chat support and now nothing connects prior to that only Playbase and Roam would connect. Told to call  instead.

I don’t think Sonos support works by evaluating value of money spent by the customer on Sonos products. I’d assume they answer all calls. 

To what end? Yup it’s still not working so try a phone?

To what end? Yup it’s still not working so try a phone?

Just call into Sonos Support - it’s quite possible that the issue is something local to you/your network, as the App is working fine here for my 25+ products and 18 music services on iPhone, iPad and Android Tablet. Example from iPad attached. Here is the link to call Sonos Staff and I hope you can get the issue sorted👍

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Appreciate the help, thank you. My main point was 1.5 hours spent troubleshooting on live chat to be told “yeah, I’ve just made it worse, you need to phone in” chat troubleshooting shouldn’t be any different to phone just a different communication medium. I’ve had my system or started it 10 years ago and in that time it’s worked maybe 50% of the time, I have had tech support multiple times and they either can’t fix it or sometimes they do and it lasts a few months and then quits again. 

Appreciate the help, thank you. My main point was 1.5 hours spent troubleshooting on live chat to be told “yeah, I’ve just made it worse, you need to phone in” chat troubleshooting shouldn’t be any different to phone just a different communication medium. I’ve had my system or started it 10 years ago and in that time it’s worked maybe 50% of the time, I have had tech support multiple times and they either can’t fix it or sometimes they do and it lasts a few months and then quits again. 

I’m just another long-term user and have not seen the same issues you mention, it still sounds like it maybe something local to yourself, er..maybe…🤔

I’m not sure what else I can add, but you can still contact support. It’s really upto you what you wish to do.

I’m just another long-term user and have not seen the same issues you mention, it still sounds like it maybe something local to yourself, er..maybe…🤔

I’m not sure what else I can add, but you can still contact support. It’s really upto you what you wish to do.

HERE: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonos.acr2&hl=de 

Hello Ken. You are one of the lucky ones whose Sonos still works. 195,000 reviews with only 1.2 stars say something different!!! 8 weeks ago SONOS still had 4.3 stars! Nothing has worked for me since the last update. My speakers are no longer accessible and I can't play any music. That's not the purpose of speakers...

Again, your positive manner is much appreciated. Local issue, I don’t think so as we’ve moved house and had multiple different routers, mesh systems and internet providers, also, sometimes it works flawlessly for a few months, nothing changes with our infrastructure and then it stops. Funnily enough I just pulled the Boost I had wired in that I was told would solve my problems a while back and now everything is working again. Before the update it worked fine with the Boost. My real frustration is it has never really worked I’ve spent approximately $10k on equipment but I’ve spent at least four days on the phone and chat over the years, as a consultant running a company where you’re time is finite it’s cost me a further $15k+ and is still as flaky as it ever was. There are few industries where that level of product quality and tech support would survive.

Again, your positive manner is much appreciated. Local issue, I don’t think so as we’ve moved house and had multiple different routers, mesh systems and internet providers, also, sometimes it works flawlessly for a few months, nothing changes with our infrastructure and then it stops. Funnily enough I just pulled the Boost I had wired in that I was told would solve my problems a while back and now everything is working again. Before the update it worked fine with the Boost. My real frustration is it has never really worked I’ve spent approximately $10k on equipment but I’ve spent at least four days on the phone and chat over the years, as a consultant running a company where you’re time is finite it’s cost me a further $15k+ and is still as flaky as it ever was. There are few industries where that level of product quality and tech support would survive.

You can always sell/give-away the hardware that you have and maybe try a different product - I’ve just not had the same experience as you have outlined here and that’s at different locations where we have Sonos setup …and as far as I’m aware, nor have our friends, or family, in their Homes.

That said, I don’t personally now use a Sonos Boost (wired mode/SonosNet) as its older 2.4Ghz wireless mesh network is not as quick as our WiFi-6 mesh setup.

My time is also perhaps not as important as your own as I’m retired, so if I did ever encounter such problems and maybe couldn’t resolve them myself, then I’d put the matter in the hands of Sonos Support and hope they could help sort it with me, 

Anyhow glad your setup is now working, but if your problems do ever return, then here is the link if you do change your mind and maybe want to call their support desk…

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Knew this was coming. Can’t let an opportunity for free money pass crooks by. The notion of this is ridiculous. It was not intentional, it was solved in a quick and efficient manner and YOU CHOSE to invest in the ecosystem. This isn’t Lucid going belly up and you being f’d with a $100k car, this is a minor inconvenience for a little bit.  Put your big boy pants on. Also, what happens with a lawsuit, bunch of lawyers get rich, Sonos loses its ability to support us and our products further and we as customers will get about $.12. Nobody wins except for the lawyers. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Dude.  The problem is not fixed.  My system is currently useless 50% of the time and laggy at best the rest of the time.

It worked great for ten years.  I was the biggest fan of Sonos of anyone and I recommended Sonos to everyone. 

The fact of the matter is my system not longer works.  It is a downgrade.  It lags.  It.drops out.  It cant find my system.  

All I want is it to be fixed and three hours on hold and another couple hours factory resetting everything did not solve anything.  

It is bad customer service.

If ever a situation called for a class action lawsuit, this is it:

• Company sells customers expensive, multi-unit hardware systems
  • Tethers customers to a software ecosystem to use them effectively
  • Dramatically changes software into an auto-update environment
  • Unsuspecting customers lose access to extensive, core media sources and features that significantly diminish the value of their expensive hardware and/or make it untenable for usage they had every reason to believe they would continue to have
  • Customers wishing to continue meeting these essential needs forced to sell Company hardware that they had no intention of doing at a loss and buy competitor hardware.
  • Pattern of behavior by Company indicates that choices made to remove said functionality were part of an intentional, plan to damage the product experience of many users in favor of others.

Seriously. This would be like selling someone a car and then updating the operating system so that the steering wheels was controlled by AI instead of manual because there’s more profit there for the company.

Even if they resolve this issue with their awful software release, how much in damages are deserved for every customer for heir lost time and undue harm?

The store value of my hardware suite, which I had no intention of replacing is probably $7,000 - $8,000. How much do others have invested who believe they need to leave SONOS?

I am not someone who can start a class action lawsuit, but I’m sure there are people here who can, and I’d be at the front of the line to join it and recoup my losses. If you feel similarly, then bump up this thread so that SONOS is held accountable

My entire sonos speaker network is now just a bunch of really expensive paperweights since the app redesign for Android. It blows me away that sonos have done little to nothing to address their customers via email about this issue. It took me calling up after several months of issues for sonos support to tell me "use the Sonos app on your Windows pc as you seem to be one of the affected users experiencing latency issues with the new Android app" I mean wtf?!?! I for one will never buy another sonos product. If anyone has any other suggestions for network speakers that work with Android I'd love to hear them. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Where do I sign up??!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Where do I sign up??!

With your lawyer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

So many folk wanting to sign up, but it seems no one will instigate the action. And still not a single lawyer, in all the thousands of users, who is willing to take on the case. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

After yesterday black out I am fighting to reconnect my beam and surround speakers.

Other speakers continuously appear and disappear from network.

I guess it is latest speaker firmware or latest app version that broke the system and is making a mess.

Debugging is impossible, Sonos app messages are really not useful at all.

I am a 15 years Sonos user.

I am also participating in the Sonos Beta program.

My Network is working like a charm.

I am starting to think to throw my Sonos speakers in the trashcan.

Can Sonos investigate?

Where can I sign this petition?

This latest release is too bugged to be defined a production release.

What's happening?

We uae Android to connect to our sonos system.  Today the app started crashing on all or phones. 

We can use the system at all.  Just spent 40+ min on the online chat.  They said they will fix it at some point and as a work around go buy an iPhone

I'll be seeking legal advice first thing monday as in the UK we have really robust consumer rights laws

Never again  - buying Sonos has turned out to be a really expensive mistake 

Userlevel 1

….

What ‘core’ functionally, exactly ?  Let’s see, alarms have been reinstated already.  Timers, queue management, and local library search are coming within 4 weeks…..

….. Still waiting for the Queue management, interested to see how you feel about this now?

Not sure about you but 4 weeks where I live was over at least well 4 weeks ago !!!!!!!!

I'm very interested. Lawsuit against the company and the executives. All of their wealth should be taken away and used to refund us customers who they have disrespected and abused. Sue them into poverty and oblivion.

I'm very interested. Lawsuit against the company and the executives. All of their wealth should be taken away and used to refund us customers who they have disrespected and abused. Sue them into poverty and oblivion.

Sure, make my system that currently works useless so lawyers can make a boatload and give peanuts to the “victims”?  Luckily this lawsuit has about as much of a chance of going forward as the number of people who came back and posted after saying they were consulting a lawyer (which is exactly zero people). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I'll be seeking legal advice first thing monday as in the UK we have really robust consumer rights laws

Do you have any update for us, @privacy-expert ? It was last week you were seeking legal advice… Lots of folk are keen to hear how you got on and what advice you were given. 

We uae Android to connect to our sonos system.  Today the app started crashing on all or phones. 

We can use the system at all.  Just spent 40+ min on the online chat.  They said they will fix it at some point and as a work around go buy an iPhone

Never again  - buying Sonos has turned out to be a really expensive mistake 

Well I’m based in the UK too and the new Sonos App is working here to play/control our TV/Music audio. It’s also working fine at our daughters, sons and some friends Homes too. I’ve attached some screen recordings from the Home setup here. 

My thoughts are, if you’ve not tried already, actually call Sonos Support, rather than use their chat … and if necessary, speak to a level-2 Support Engineer direct (if available), as I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that the issue you describe was resolved quickly with a simple App/permissions reset, but see what the Staff say first and in case the problems you’re seeing may lie elsewhere within your local environment.

Hope you get it sorted - the UK number to call is: 0800 026 1526

Sure, make my system that currently works useless so lawyers can make a boatload and give peanuts to the the “victims”?  Luckily this lawsuit has about as much of a chance of going forward as the number of people who came back and posted after saying they were consulting a lawyer (which is exactly zero people). 

it’s true that counsel in CA suits do very well for themselves. What I know is that I spent thousands of dollars on equipment that worked fine until May, and now I can’t adjust the volume, group and ungroup speakers, start and stop music, to say nothing of the functionality that was intentionally removed. If I’m not a victim, what am I?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

If I’m not a victim, what am I?

Of course you're a victim, no doubt about that. Sonos screwed up, no doubt about that. Bad things happen, that's life. Sonos will repair things, so they promised. No reason to get all worked up about  a piece of momentarily disfunctional software. Ever heard of first world problems?

it’s true that counsel in CA suits do very well for themselves. What I know is that I spent thousands of dollars on equipment that worked fine until May, and now I can’t adjust the volume, group and ungroup speakers, start and stop music, to say nothing of the functionality that was intentionally removed. If I’m not a victim, what am I?

I tend to use the “victim” label on things which actually victimize someone, especially when mentioned in the context of a class action suit, like poisoning of ground water, bad drugs that weren’t tested properly, car manufacturing mistakes, Boeing aircraft mishaps, etc.; not temporary loss of features on a music system which the manufacturer has promised to remedy.  I call it having perspective.