Bluetooth vs Apple Airplay 2: A Personal Opinion

• 11 July 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

You may believe that music sent to Sonos via Apple Airplay 2 (AP2) has better fidelity than being sent via Bluetooth (BT). In truth you are right…but how do you know?

Is your opinion based upon actual listening experience, published technical limitations of BT vs AP2 or just what you’ve heard by word of mouth? Until recently there was no way to make that determination using a dedicated Sonos indoor speaker; as Sonos didn’t offer an indoor speaker that supported BT.

Sonos after years of resistance (or maybe just waiting for technology to better itself) has finally placed BT capability in its indoor speakers the Era 300 and Era 100 series. Those speakers use the BT 5.0 codec. You might ask why not BT 5.1, 5.2 or the latest 5.3? The short answer is that BT codecs above 5.0 at present are “speed bump” improvements for distance, pinpoint location accuracy and/or better battery life to name a few. 

The actual audio/fidelity of the music heard over BT does not improve (at least not at present) with dot increments. The next noticeable improvement in audio/fidelity most likely won’t occur until BT 6.0 or better (maybe 5.x). My reasoning stems from past BT codec upgrades. If you want more information on BT 5.0, 5.1, 5.3 and even a reference to BT 4.2 click the link below.

I’ve had the opportunity to listen to music sent over AP2 and BT using the Era 300 as a stereo pair. Normally, I stream music using an on-line music source. The other day I decided to do an A/B audio/fidelity comparison of BT vs AP2. 

I chose to send from my iPhone 12 ProMax (256GB) via BT first *. My goal was to be sure I heard an improvement with AP2 (if any). I listened to music with vocals and smooth jazz. In both genres music sent via AP2 had a wider sound stage (i.e. more openness). Is that to say music sent via AP2 will always sound better than that sent over BT? It depends on several factors; here are a few:

1. Music genre
  2. Speaker placement
  3. Room environment (topology)
  4. Your ear

The latter (#4) is the most critical factor. As I said music sent via AP2 had a wider sound stage (i.e. more openness). The differences I heard were subtle and may not be observable to everyone. Some may prefer the compactness of sound presented BT vs AP2 using the Era 300’s. Others may notice no difference at all. 

The bottom-line (IMO) is that Sonos has done an excellent job with the Era series to make music sent over BT appealing. Sonos obviously, waited until their technologies (the Era series) could provide the best integration of music and BT transmissions with their indoor speakers. IMO the faults previously associated with audio over BT are greatly diminished. 

I (for one) have no reservations of sending music over BT using the Era 300’s. Most people wouldn’t know the difference; unless I performed an impromptu A/B listening presentation. Even then IMO only those with the keenest of ears would hear the difference or know what to listen for.

The next generation of Sonos speakers (indoor or portables) will probably take advantage of the next generation of BT advancement for an even more rewarding audio experience. Of course only Sonos knows when (or if) that will occur.

So in the meantime don’t be skiddish about sending music over BT to Era 300 or 100. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Note: Starting a BT stream is not possible on a Era 300’s or 100’s used as surrounds 

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/bluetooth-5-everything-you-need-to-know#:~:text=Admittedly%2C%205.1%20is%20a%20minor,%27Find%20My%20Earbuds%27%20features.

* iPhone 12 ProMax uses BT 5.0

Edit: If your device is using an outdated BT codec like BT 3.0 the audio quality will be degraded as the stream will be governed by the weakest link which is your device.

4 replies

Agree with the above, although I have not done any real comparison between airplay and BT on sound quality.  Absolutely, one of the reasons Sonos did not use bluetooth for so long is because of the audio quality.

I think there are a couple other reasons as well.  One is that bluetooth rang has much improved over the years.  I don’t know that actual stats, but you can definitely take your phone more than 5 ft  away from the speaker, probably into another room with walls in between and still have a reliable connection.  Something that is rather important to a multiroom system.  And this isn’t a problem with airplay since it uses WiFi.

The other big issue is that I don’t think Sonos could take a bluetooth connection to a speaker and then share it with other rooms without a significant delay.  They couldn’t do this with the Move and it was not introduced till the Roam.

One thing I’m not sure about, and it could be a YMMV type deal, but what is the lip difference between airplay and BT to a Sonos speaker? 

Userlevel 7

@melvimbe 

I can say that sharing the multiple room experience was a bit shaky to start by pressing the Play/Pause on another Era 300 integrated as a surround. Then again it could have been my touch acuity using the Era 300 touch controls. However after a brief delay of 3 secs (I’m only guessing at the time to actuation) the music was clear, in sync and no drops. Delay could be a side affect of BT.

Since the second system consisted of Arc and sub the tone was different. Meaning as I have mentioned before the Arc (to my ear) changes the character of the music in a way that is not to my liking. It adds unwanted color. I also can’t say if using BT on the original speaker exaggerated the output on the Arc setup.  But that’s another subject.

I can’t comment on your last statement regarding “lip difference” or maybe I don’t fully understand the query 🤔

Does anyone know the Bluetooth codecs supported by the Era 300? Just AAC and SBC, or a high resolution codec like AptX HD or LDAC?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

All I can find is: Bluetooth 5.0 support