Awesomly impressed. And a bit confused.

• 4 March 2023
  • 1 reply

Last Saturday night, something failed in my Playbase (purchased May 2017). I got into a chat with a rep, and about an hour later Sonos said that the PB was bad and they were replacing it with a Beam Gen 2. When I asked about cost for this, I was told “no charge”!

I got the replacement yesterday and just finished setting up and configuring.

So I’m a little numb...The Beam is a definite improvement,but I have no idea how or why it was covered by warranty. I did have to return the PB, but all I had to do was take it to UPS and pay them $20.00 to box it up for me. They paid return shipping as well.

I’m very impressed and wondering a bit about what could have been in the PB to make them want it back so badly.  :)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @xromad 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

First of all, I am glad to hear that you were able to get a replacement under warranty and are happy with the alternative model!

Without going into too much detail, there have at times been certain known issues with particular revisions of particular models such that if a user reports said certain issue with one of them, we’ll replace the unit as In-Warranty regardless of the unit’s age. As we’ve run out of Playbases to replace any that might exhibit this (or any other) issue, you received a Beam instead! Us receiving the faulty Playbase is just standard procedure, as happens with any RMA (Return to Manufacturer Authorisation) - I don’t imagine we’ll do much with it.

Or maybe we accidentally stored large diamonds in every Playbase? 😁

$20 seems a bit steep for a cardboard box. 

I hope this helps.