Skip to main content
Question

Advice on rolling back to Sonos S1 Controller and OS please...

Well, it’s clear that Sonos aren’t going to allow us to go back to v16.1 of the S2 App.

Criminal really, considering (since 80.00.08) the new S2 App doesn’t even recognise my Sonos system on my WiFi network anymore, and I can’t reach anyone on the helplines (not that they’d be able to help anyway).

I think my hardware was all purchased just pre-2020, does anyone have any advice on going back to the old S1 environment?

Apparently I need to downgrade all of my hardware, but TBH I never wanted to upgrade to S2. I seem to recall I was forced to at the time. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Apparently I need to downgrade all of my hardware, but TBH I never wanted to upgrade to S2. I seem to recall I was forced to at the time. Thanks!

You fell prey to Sonos marketing their Kool Aid of 2020 vintage.

Unfortunately, it seems that if you have now also fallen for their Kool Aid of 2024 vintage and moved to the new app, S1 is now not available to you.

I have remained on S1 so there is no personal experience of this, but many recent posts here seem to say that this barring of S1 is presently in place, till Sonos chooses to remove it in the future.

Is there access to an early App/program for Windows and/or Android. I have V16.1 on my PC and it won’t connect to my Sonos Controller.

I can turn my speakers on at the speaker, but don’t know how to change stations.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello,

You can downgrade your speakers with an Iphone 7. If you put the sonos app on it, it only runs an old version. Worked great for me, now back on S1 and things are great.  I also purchased a Bluesound speaker for testing and I actually really like it. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

There seems to be this Factory reset procedure.

I was considering to do it, but I’m not sure if it will really downgrade from S2 to S1, so I’ve asked a question and I’m waiting…

I do not have a iPhone. 

Is there any other way to access my SONOS ONE Speakers?

I have substituted two, Bluetooth, speakers (Oontz Angle 3 ~ $30 each) for the Sonos speakers. They have about a 30’ range and can be paired.

There are Sonos controllers for iOS devices, Android devices, and less functional ones for Mac OS and Windows. See the supported OS for controllers FAQ. 

Basically I am just trying to control my Sonos speakers from my Windows 11 computer.

Is there a compatible App that works with my older speakers?

A two second internet search turned up this web page from Sonos:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

I was able to downgrade players to S1 that were on firmware 16.2 using the old golden S2 App on an old iPhone SE (first gen) running iOS 15 (it was necessary to switch off WiFi when the app called home to demand update of the app to skip that step). So far I failed to downgrade players in another home that unfortunately have updated firmware to 16.3

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Basically I am just trying to control my Sonos speakers from my Windows 11 computer.

Is there a compatible App that works with my older speakers?

Have you looked the System Requirements information on Sonos’ website? Or the Installation Guide for your speakers?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The ability to downgrade devices from S2 to S1 is one of the next things Sonos will be including in the app updates. 

Well judging by the CEO’s apology the downgrade option seems to have dropped off the agenda. I don’t trust them anymore and advise to downgrade as long as it is still possible using the loophole still open as per instructions above. Should have listened to Kumar more carefully, he was seeing what was coming as early as 2020.