Answered

windows app / dcomp.dll

Dear,

I try to contact the customer support without any ansmwer since several month.

I had a good opinion about the sonos but now I’m ready to says that the customer support be a casper!

I really disappointed because since I use the windows application to control my sonos I have problems… Appication don’t fucntion properly. I reinstall many times without success to increase the start of the application…

Now, since the last windows update the application doeasn’t work anymore even if I reinstall the application. I have a message: dcomp.dll error!!!

If someone have a solution. Every idea of someone will be best than sonos customer services.

Thank you in advance

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 26 July 2022, 22:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

What is a casper?

Sounds like there’s something odd going on on your windows machine. What version of the windows OS is it running? Which version of the Sonos controller have you been installing on it? Do you also have a tablet or phone that can run the Sonos controller, since the desktop versions are somewhat limited at this point, not having much support?

Frequently, applying windows updates will resolve some of these issues, although I’m not sure about the dcomp.dll off hand. And, after doing that, a full delete of the current windows controller would be recommended, followed by a reboot of the machine, and then do a re-install of the current windows controller from Sonos. Don’t use a ‘mirror’ site. 

Sorry lol. Casper is a young Ghost (it’s a very old film produce in 1995).

Windows version: 10 (21H2) ; build 19044.1826; Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

SONOS S2: last version dowloaded on sonos website ; Sonos_69.1-31120.exe

I don't use mirror site.

I have no problem when I use a phone to control all my sonos. The android or Apple application are very fast.

I try to uninstall again the application, reboot before reinstall… then I’ll give you the result here. Thx to you Bruce.

Chris

Must be in the UK, a “casper” is not a common phrase here in the US, where Casper the friendly ghost originated. And if you do some research, you’ll find his comics go back to 1945, long before there was a movie :)

Not 100% sure which current “pack” is up for windows, I’m on a Mac at this moment. Certainly double check to ensure you’re up to date, just in case. 

Glad to hear you’re not using a mirror site :)

I don’t recall anyone else posting about the .dll as an issue, so I’m really thinking it is a local issue to your install of Windows, and not an endemic issue for all Windows users. And frankly, I don’t expect a lot from a CS rep who’s likely getting minimum wage to answer calls...although sometimes you can hit the jackpot, and get someone who has a bit more knowledge than the average “Joe”.

Any windows experts who can jump in on this would be most appreciated :)

Casper goes much further back than the 1995 film (and a 1995 film is most certainly not “very old” you whippersnapper!).  Some of us watched the Casper cartoons as far back as 1959 (not me, I was a kid of the early 70’s, Speed Racer and Scooby Doo were my jam.).   

I do remember the cartoons on TV when I returned to the States, back in the late 60s / early 70s. Not sure I ever saw the original cartoons, which were way before I was born, but certainly remember the comics at the PX. 

@ZebraMC 

decomp.dll is a windows .dll - see this link:

https://www.exefiles.com/en/dll/dcomp-dll/

The PC antivirus maybe blocking it perhaps, or it’s missing from the System32 folder - maybe try repairing with Windows SFC perhaps? 

Thx to all,

My Windows is clean and up to date. The dcomp.dll is used by SONOS app. My position at the moment is the last windows update maked a perpurbation on the dcomp.dll or the system and I forgot to RESTART the system after uninstall SONOS before try to re install it! BIg, big mistake lol

So, I uninstalled SONOS app for windows, cleaned the register with CCleaner, restart, shut down, restart… watched a  scene of "Casper the friendly ghost" :-) then reinstall the Sonos S2 app for windows…

Miracle, the app properly function… nervertheless the performance is clearly not the same than by an Apple or Android app… the windows app remain slow but… with NO Dcomp.dll error.

Thx you all

It’s time to enjoy the sonos sound with a beer in the jacuzzi lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Try a different Windows Sonos app, like mine? Check my profile for details.

Dear all,

I’m really disappointed… When I restart my laptop to ltry to launched the SONOS controler for Windows, I had a bad surprise…. 

the message is (translate in english):

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dcomp.dll dcomp.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Install the program again using the original installation media, or contact your system administrator or software vendor for support. Error Status: 0xc0000006

The problem remains… 

@controlav: As you make promotion for your application (not for free of charge) is your Phonos application is safe regarding virus or backdoor or other one ? is your application download personnal informations? European law are different than in US.

Chris

Dear all,

I’m really disappointed… When I restart my laptop to ltry to launched the SONOS controler for Windows, I had a bad surprise…. 

the message is (translate in english):

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dcomp.dll dcomp.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Install the program again using the original installation media, or contact your system administrator or software vendor for support. Error Status: 0xc0000006

The problem remains… 

Chris

decomp.dll is a windows dynamic link library that was first introduced in windows 8 - to fix it try running the windows system file checker (SFC) in windows 10, or maybe look online to see how to replace/fix and/or deregister/register the library using Microsoft’s regsrv32 command line utility.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@controlav: As you make promotion for your application (not for free of charge) is your Phonos application is safe regarding virus or backdoor or other one ? is your application download personnal informations? European law are different than in US.

Yes, check the privacy statement link in the Store listing for it. It is free to try for 30 days.