Answered

why does new sonos app 11.1 ask for bluetooth to be turned on everytime on launch

Userlevel 2
Badge

After downloading and installing today’s new app release, every time I launch the app it asks me to turn on Bluetooth to access accessories, but I don’t understand why since none of my Sonos speakers have Bluetooth. If I turn it on the banner goes away in future launches, but if I turn off Bluetooth, it again asks for me to turn it on during launch.  This is annoying and I don’t know why it needs Bluetooth turned on, does anyone know why this is happening? Btw the version is 11.1

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 9 June 2020, 18:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Odd, it doesn’t do this on my iOS device. Have you tried deleting the app, and downloading a fresh copy?  Just make sure when prompted to ‘connect to existing system’. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Appreciate the answer and I did delete the app and downloaded a fresh copy and it does the same thing again!  Very frustrating, but I guess I will have to hope someone at Sonos or a moderator will see this and chime in.

here is what I get: 

I’d suggest running a system diagnostic as well, and post the number here, there might be some data in it that will help them help you. 

Or, rather than waiting for a forum moderator, you could contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are available Monday through Friday during business hours. The Twitter support folks are available 24/7. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi, thanks for calling this out. The team is already aware of this and it looking into it now. It shouldn’t be this persistent about Bluetooth. Right now, the only workaround or solution is just to turn on Bluetooth when you are launching the app, but the team is investigating.

Is the issue on iOS only or android as well? 

Seems to be just iOS for me.

I suspect that those reporting no issue on iOS already had Bluetooth enabled on their iDevice.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I’ve only seen it listed as affecting iOS, but let me know if you see otherwise.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

After downloading and installing today’s new app release, every time I launch the app it asks me to turn on Bluetooth to access accessories, but I don’t understand why since none of my Sonos speakers have Bluetooth. If I turn it on the banner goes away in future launches, but if I turn off Bluetooth, it again asks for me to turn it on during launch.  This is annoying and I don’t know why it needs Bluetooth turned on, does anyone know why this is happening? Btw the version is 11.1

Thanks for calling this out, I logged on to report exactly the same thing.  I do not need Bluetooth on my iPads and do not wish to enable it.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I spent 15 minutes on the phone with tech support yesterday and they acknowledged this has been reported by a number of users and the developers would be working on a fix in a future update.  The easiest fix I know of right now to avoid leaving bluetooth turned on (and avoid potential battery loss while it searches) when (like me you don’t use it, is to just click “close” when the nagging bubble comes up upon launch until it gets fixed.  Thanks to all who responded and Ryan the Community Manager!

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is certainly an irritation. It’s good to hear it’s going to be fixed soon. 

Userlevel 2

Same issue here.  Very annoying, please fix it.  

May need to add this item to the regression testing scripts.  

Hi, thanks for calling this out. The team is already aware of this and it looking into it now. It shouldn’t be this persistent about Bluetooth. Right now, the only workaround or solution is just to turn on Bluetooth when you are launching the app, but the team is investigating.

Hello, 

Grateful for the prompt response. Please, can you get a timeline to get this fixed or maybe consider reverting [parts of] the update to the previous version? 

Overall, it is a very disappointing trend with stability of the interface being sacrificed to the speed of the “innovation”. It will be great see this debated in the product team - you have won hearts and minds of millions of people with the high quality of the physical product, but the continuous change of the user interface are not welcome, irritating at times, and must be better controlled with options to opt out of the “innovation”.

Please, kindly increase the quality of the updates rather than the speed, which is not important and does not add value to the customers.

Sincerely

Vasily

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi Vasily, we tend not to post timelines as things can change, especially these days. The team does have this on the list and I’ll be sure to let you all know when it’s resolved. 

Userlevel 2

Funny.  I just said the same thing to my family members that Vasily just wrote. I have had sonos for ten years and kept adding on as time went by and now have quite an assortment in my home.   

Things in the early years as a private company were very stable.   It is also concerning of Sonos os now trying to see how they can get services online like music which could become pay services.   I hope this is not the way things continue forward. 

Hopefully the team stops "investigating” this brand new and annoying bluetooth prompt and just removes it....

Hopefully, the team is testing the fix before it gets released so it doesn’t break three other issues. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hopefully the team stops "investigating” this brand new and annoying bluetooth prompt and just removes it....

+1

Just fix it, Sonos. It’s very annoying. I don’t use Bluetooth on my iPad and am not going to waste battery by turning it on just to dismiss the prompt.

Reminds me of another release a while back where the app showed a red alert badge if you hadn’t signed up for Alexa. When I emailed Sonos support that I’ll never sign up for Alexa, and that there should be a way to dismiss the badge, the agent said, in essence, “Deal with it. We’re not going to change it.”

Fortunately, they did fix it, but little annoyances like these add to my already-strong reservations about audio devices so dependent on software updates. I might just be too old-school for Sonos.

It still does this on my iOS app. Today! 7 May 2020. Workaround does not seem to have happened! Please fix this Sonos! 

Since there’s not a version of 11.2 yet released, I suppose it would still be happening. 

I’d like to add my name to those who dislike this and other changes. The speakers are great But I want to use them as I use them. This latest update also includes an annoying mandatory visual of Sonos radio, which I will never sign up for and never use. 

I’d like to add my name to those who dislike this and other changes. The speakers are great But I want to use them as I use them. This latest update also includes an annoying mandatory visual of Sonos radio, which I will never sign up for and never use. 

It’s not a change, it’s a bug, and it’s going to be fixed.  You can immediately delete Sonos radio after you install it and the icon will then disappear.  

Badge

Still not fixed. Unreal. That and the fact that I prefer crossfade on, yet I have to set it every time I use the app. This is an app, a program which you can tell to do certain things when it starts up or shuts down. You know, like remember the user settings or don’t prompt for BT since the speakers don’t use it anyway.   I think it’s time to dump these things. 

Still not fixed. Unreal. That and the fact that I prefer crossfade on, yet I have to set it every time I use the app. This is an app, a program which you can tell to do certain things when it starts up or shuts down. You know, like remember the user settings or don’t prompt for BT since the speakers don’t use it anyway.   I think it’s time to dump these things. 

Tell me, what is the average length of the Sonos software development cycle?  How much QA is required for this fix?  How much time does it take to debug this fix?  What other release dependencies is this fix involved with, and what are the slated release dates for those?

If you cannot answer these questions, then you are not able to legitimately criticize the lack of a fix at this time.

Badge

Forgive me, but those are all silly questions. While not a perfect comparison: I developed a database with a php frontend recently. It took some time to develop, yes. Last week I added a feature and broke the frontend. It didn’t take long for me to figure out what I did and come up with a fix. No need for a full length development cycle, debugging or release date. I broke it. The customer needed a resolution and so I rolled it back. 

Forgive me, but those are all silly questions. While not a perfect comparison: I developed a database with a php frontend recently. It took some time to develop, yes. Last week I added a feature and broke the frontend. It didn’t take long for me to figure out what I did and come up with a fix. No need for a full length development cycle, debugging or release date. I broke it. The customer needed a resolution and so I rolled it back. 

One customer?  :rofl: