We need to talk about Sonos’ silence on software updates

• 28 August 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 11 replies

The Sonos release notes page hasn’t been updated since the release of Sonos S2, also known as version 12.0.

However, since that time, there have been several software updates to the app and the speakers, without any indication from the release notes page as to what these updates entailed.

We know from this forum post that update 12.0.1 implemented a partial fix to Sonos Arc bass issues. Where else is Sonos hiding this information on a sort of half-disclosure basis? Do we know what changed in 12.0.3, or the most recent 12.0.5?

I contacted Sonos Support to ask about this. The first agent said he would get back to me, and he never did. 3 weeks later, I contacted Sonos Support again and they informed me that they didn’t have any release notes to share, and that minor software updates don’t make it to the release notes page.

The agent insisted that Sonos makes no changes to audio settings, sound profile, or quality with software updates. Besides this being patently untrue (see the 12.0.1 update above) it is a good way to point out the problem of Sonos withholding this information from customers. Here I am, with a Sonos representative telling me nothing has changed, and yet with every update we see countless posts on Reddit and elsewhere insisting that something has changed. I believe 12.0.3 was said to increase the bass levels in Sonos One. A recent reddit thread insists that the Arc’s bass response has improved a lot on 12.0.5.

This contradicts what the Sonos agent told me this morning.

Is it real? Is it a placebo? These questions can be answered by providing the actual release notes for every update.

For a company that prides itself on audio quality, Sonos needs to be giving customers confidence as to when (or not) changes are made that alter the sound quality of our devices.

Somewhere, inside Sonos’ software engineering team, is a list of bugs and features that have yet to be fixed or developed. In any competent development environment, these bugs and features are assigned to software engineers and they are fixed/created. The software engineer marks that each task is complete. It’s not hard to turn this log into release notes. 

Instead, we are left with the current system. If you kick up enough of a fuss, you might get lucky and someone from Sonos makes a single forum post inside a lengthy topic mentioning that a recent minor update rolled out an important bug fix. Otherwise, Sonos customers are left guessing whether their listening experience has been affected by an update or not.

It’s not acceptable.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Sheza, thanks for reaching out with the Sonos Community! We greatly appreciate you being a part of the Sonos family. It is our pleasure.

I understand that we all want to know what’s new in every update and just to let you know that there are no new features included in this full system update for S2 app - R3.5 (12.0.5), only bug fixes/app cleanup. It’s more on the S2 app performance and reliability.

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with. We and the community are always here.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Sheza, thanks for reaching out with the Sonos Community! We greatly appreciate you being a part of the Sonos family. It is our pleasure.

I understand that we all want to know what’s new in every update and just to let you know that there are no new features included in this full system update for S2 app - R3.5 (12.0.5), only bug fixes/app cleanup. It’s more on the S2 app performance and reliability.

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with. We and the community are always here.

Thanks for the reply @Krishma M and for confirming what the changes were in the latest update.

However, my thread is asking for Sonos to publish these release notes publicly and prominently, and for all versions, on the release notes page. We need to bring and end to random encounters from Sonos staff telling us bits and pieces about updates. We need the logs for each update to be easily findable.

Until that happens, this topic isn’t resolved.

I can’t say I have a concern for missing release notes, as I don’t recall every looking at them before, but I do miss Sonos staffers posting a new thread in the announcement forum whenever there was a new release or functionality change.  After the layoffs of Sonos staff, I’m not quite sure if that’s going to continue or not.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Sheza, thanks for your reply and for sharing this with us, @melvimbe. I have already coordinated this with the team and we’d greatly appreciate it if you can provide feedback on the article about the release notes for Sonos software on your end and for any other articles that you feel like something is wrong/missing. And we’re working onto something about the announcements here in Sonos Community as well. We’re doing our best here to provide the best experience that we can do on our end and help users at the same time. Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with. We and the community are always here.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Sheza, thanks for your reply and for sharing this with us, @melvimbe. I have already coordinated this with the team and we’d greatly appreciate it if you can provide feedback on the article about the release notes for Sonos software on your end and for any other articles that you feel like something is wrong/missing. And we’re working onto something about the announcements here in Sonos Community as well. We’re doing our best here to provide the best experience that we can do on our end and help users at the same time. Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with. We and the community are always here.

Am I missing something here @Krishma M ?

You said to provide feedback on the article.

I don’t see anywhere on the article page where I can submit feedback, hence this forum post. What is it exactly you’re asking me to do?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi, @Sheza! Here’s the link for the support article where you can send feedback. Below are the screenshots where to send feedback and you have nothing to worry as I have reported this as well. Appreciate your patience and understanding. 

Just let us know if you need anything. We and the community are always here to help.