Using the app without speaker connection

• 30 May 2017
  • 4 replies

I would like to be able to open the app and use the sonos playlists to play music when I am not home. (no sonos speaker available but maybe a bluetooth speaker) Not being able to do this makes spotify playlists almost pointless. I understand that it would be difficult to make sure you had access to all the songs in a playlist and what particular service they were from when away but it would make the appeal of making spotify playlists a little better. Even being able to access to see what songs are on a playlist would be an improvement.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Not really possible. The actual "smarts" of the whole system reside in the speaker, not in the app. The app is just a remote control to work the system on the speakers. Without a speaker on the same subnet, there's just nothing 'there' for it to read.
@Airgetlam's "remote control" analogy is a good one. What you are asking for is akin to taking your TV remote control away from home, pointing it at a wall and hoping to conjure up a program. (I accept that to anyone used to music player apps that's not obvious, but the Sonos app isn't a music player.)
but what a remote that would be right? 😃 So even if I was to go to another persons house with a sonos player I wouldn't have access to my own playlists? Just what is on their system? That seems unfortunate. Anyway it could be solved by putting the controller in the cloud. I mean they have to already be tracking what every user listens to anyway and how often. I should be able to log on to a website and see my player history. Seeing your playlists is not a big leap from that. Anyway would be a nice thing to be able to do. Maybe a future feature request.
but what a remote that would be right? 😃 So even if I was to go to another persons house with a sonos player I wouldn't have access to my own playlists? Just what is on their system? .Exactly so. As @Airgetlam said, everything is stored on the players. It is in the nature of a multiroom, multisource, multicontroller hifi system.