Unable to use my iPad running IOS 9.3.5 any longer

• 2 June 2019
  • 2 replies

Greetings,

After a Sonos system update ran inadvertently (this morning) by a user on one IOS device, I can no longer use a 7-year old iPad because its IOS version is 9.3.5. Here is the message I got:

"The software on this device is outdated. To keep the music playing, update the operating system or use a different mobile device with Sonos."

IOS 9.3.5 is the latest version running on this iPad. The user ran the update without any incompatibility warning; he just did not know.

I am really upset and frustrated with this latest Sonos update. I have been a Sonos user since 2011 and until today, I was quite pleased with my system (7 Sonos devices on two different sites.) The ability to control it with different phones and tablets was a great feature; I do not necessarily control it with the latest phone.

My hardware has not changed; there is no reason why a system that worked perfectly has suddenly one of its components become obsolete because of a software update. Furthermore, I don't need any of the latest features that might come with this software update.

This is not acceptable.

Unless, Sonos comes up with a solution to make usable my 7-year old iPad, I will no longer acquire any new Sonos products and consider switching to another brand.

Best regards,

-Nicolas
June 2, 2019

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I can understand your frustration, but Sonos has to develop new services and features, even if you personally don't want them. Some controller device OSs are not going to be able to keep up. The only person who will suffer if you carry out your boycott threat is you. There isn't the remotest chance of Sonos going back on this.

Throughout the existence of its spp controllers Sonos has had to announce that older OSs are not supported and it will have to continue to do so.
my 7-year old iPad
... which Apple hasn't supported for almost 3 years.