‘unable to create playlist’ system message

• 22 April 2021
  • 8 replies

Last year my Sonos Play: 3 wiped all my self created playlists containing approximately 2000 songs. I hadn’t changed anything, done any updates or changed music streaming services. Customer support wasn’t any help so I mourned the loss of all my favourite music and decided to start again. 

Now, I can’t even CREATE a playlist to add music to. (I can add pre-made playlists to my Sonos library) but when I try to create a new playlist manually I get a system message which says 

‘Unable to create playlist. Please try again’

Can someone shed some light on this before I throw it out of the window and invest in another brand! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

What steps are you taking to create a playlist and from which sources?

Are you on S1 or S2?  (Although I don’t expect that to make any difference.)

FWIW, here is how I would create a new Sonos playlist, using a mobile controller.

1. Find the first track I want to include, be it from my Sonos Music Library or streaming service
  2. Tap the three dots next to the track
  3. Select ‘Add to Sonos Playlist’
  4. Tap three dots top right of screen
  5. Replace ‘New Playlist’ with the name of my new playlist and tap ‘Save’.

That creates my playlist, to which I can add further tracks.

Thanks for your reply John, I’m on S2 and I’ve tried adding songs to a ‘new playlist’ as you suggested and also just creating a playlist ready to add to. Neither works! 

So in the sequence in my second post, at which point does it fail?  Which source are you using?

Right, after I attempt to add chosen song to a new playlist I get the message

‘Unable to add to ‘new’ playlist’ 

Using my iPhone (as I’ve always done)

Because I’ve been unable to create a playlist but can still seemingly add music to ‘My Sonos’ I now have a message every time I try to add to that telling me ‘You have used all available slots for Sonos favourites’ 

I wasn’t aware there was a limit on the amount of songs I could add to this?!?

Because I’ve been unable to create a playlist but can still seemingly add music to ‘My Sonos’ I now have a message every time I try to add to that telling me ‘You have used all available slots for Sonos favourites’ 

I wasn’t aware there was a limit on the amount of songs I could add to this?!?

Yes there is a fairly low limit I think.  But normally one would be adding Artists or albums rather than single tracks.

I have no explanation for your playlist issue.  I can’t reproduce your issue - setting up a new playlist works fine for me.  And I have never heard of playlists being spontaneously wiped, only by a factory reset.

Somebody else may come along with a bright idea.  Otherwise I suggest you call Sonos Support, who can remote access your system if necessary.