The new app is GARBAGE

• 9 November 2017
  • 53 replies

Userlevel 2
The newly redesigned app for iOS is GARBAGE. A huge step backwards for what was an efficient way of routing music to specific rooms and speakers. It takes multiple non-intuitive steps to get the content to the place you want it. Talk about a massive screw up by the UI team. Who approved this mess? You have to tap three extra steps to get the music to the right location, and even then, you get caught in loops back and forth just trying to associate a source with a room.

Seriously. Go back to the previous UI. This new one is a disaster.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

53 replies

I do not work for Sonos and I called your rant brainless not you
John, I've been reading your responses to others, as well. Watch your responses. They are not as subtle as you may think they are. And, if you do not work for Sonos, you should just let others express their views without the rebuttal you seem to want to offer. Just sayin'....
John, I've been reading your responses to others, as well. Watch your responses. They are not as subtle as you may think they are. And, if you do not work for Sonos, you should just let others express their views without the rebuttal you seem to want to offer. Just sayin'....OK point taken. But many of my posts have been along the lines of 'look, you just have to do the following and it works fine'. It has generally been an attempt to help. At least it started out that way.

But you are right and I will now shut up
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Sonos won’t change the app, they see us as a small minority.
But they should but some order in the app, so it always opens on rooms and that should be the first tab, rename browse to music which is the 2nd tab then favourites the 3rd tab.
This way the brain would logically move from left to right like a book, part of the issue now is it starts where if left off so the first question is where in the app am I and what do I want to do and already process wise your on the back foot.

It needs selection process built into the design , smaller icons and light and dark themes.
Badge
I don’t understand why the black bottom menu is not always available?
This will make thinks easier (save the click down arrow in the upper left after adjusting the volume).
If you use the latest Samsung S8 which is the most sold mobile phone the new buttons on the phone let right over the top of the rooms browse button on the new app. The new iPhone 10 has the same buttons. What were they thinking at Sonos. I have brought a Amazon Dot as I can not put up with the stupid new app ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
With all the feedback I would expect Sonos to have the black bottom always visible when next update comes out.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
In fact..... you cannot hit 'Play' on your choice of music until you have decided where you want it to play. The choice of music cannot be assigned anywhere. And what if you want one thing and someone else wants a different track in the room they are in? If it were music first, in a multiroom, muti-user system, you would have to go music - room -music to get it going. Is that intuitive? I'm in the Living Room, so I select Living Room. Then I put some music on. I cannot see what is unintuitive about that..

That’s my view as well...i would think first where am i?...what room do i want my music in?..then what do i ‭want to play?..room-music...which is why the always visible room view is going to save some time....imho...
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
John, I've been reading your responses to others, as well. Watch your responses. They are not as subtle as you may think they are. And, if you do not work for Sonos, you should just let others express their views without the rebuttal you seem to want to offer. Just sayin'....OK point taken. But many of my posts have been along the lines of 'look, you just have to do the following and it works fine'. It has generally been an attempt to help. At least it started out that way.

But you are right and I will now shut up

Please don’t shut up.....i may not agree with everything you say but you are more tolerant and willing to help than a lot on both sides of the argument....
Love the change in tone towards John B. Of course it wouldn't have anything to do with my post from this morning.

Nah, I'll just believe people are more upset with tone than disagreement. After all, Mike R wasn't asking John to shut up just for disagreeing or helping people, was he? :D

But hey, if I can get you people to change your attitudee post hoc towards a nice guy like John, I'll take that hit.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Love the change in tone towards John B. Of course it wouldn't have anything to do with my post from this morning.

Nah, I'll just believe people are more upset with tone than disagreement. After all, Mike R wasn't asking John to shut up just for disagreeing or helping people, was he? :D

But hey, if I can get you people to change your attitudee post hoc towards a nice guy like John, I'll take that hit.

Which post?..just curious ...

Which post?..just curious ...

I called another poster's claim that they were tolerant of other opinions, they just want to silence me for my tone, as the BS it is. Exhibit A, the way people have treated a nice guy like John.
I think only one user has been irrationally and unpleasantly rude about me, and he shall remain nameless. Mainly because he is nameless.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I think only one user has been irrationally and unpleasantly rude about me, and he shall remain nameless. Mainly because he is nameless.

As i said you are always looking to help....nods...
Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Before you start rewriting history, might want to reread it first. https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/feedback-on-new-app-6792400/index2.html#post16171328

But I forgot something didn't I? You clearly "don't give a $@!! what you think of me."...
So you think I was referring to you? I shall let others judge the evidence of that thread. I cannot see anything I wrote there that I regret or wish to change. And on this thread I merely stated that one user had been rude about me. I didn't say that bothered me. I care absolutely nothing about the opinions of people who know nothing about me. I absolutely don't give a $@!! what you think of me.

Since then I have been careful only to offer advice and help, which was mostly what I was doing anyway.

Merry Christmas.
I shall let others judge the evidence of that thread....
Thank you for your helpfulness and attempts to bring some level of sanity to an admittedly contentious issue. Please don't let people put you off. Hope that you had a good Xmas day so, Happy Boxing Day 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
So you think I was referring to you?.
Jgatie clearly was, but maybe you missed that.
This doesn't have to be a battle. We disagree about how bad the app is, but agree it has some flaws. We have different views on the best solution. Neither of us is stupid and neither has a monopoly on the truth. Can't it just be like that without us sniping at each other. I plead guilty to having done that, but it isn't what I want to be doing on here

Actually, the only person I was referring to was Mike R in this thread. But thanks for pointing out that link where you told a guy whose tone is polite and helpful to stop posting simply because his dissent is borderline trolling. I rest my case.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Actually, the only person I was referring to was Mike R in this thread.

Which is why there is no mention in this thread of BS, but there was in another thread around that time. But maybe I missed that you were posting the same thing in multiple threads.
https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/please-go-back-to-the-last-app-the-update-sucks-so-bad-6791742/index10.html#post16183127

I'm happy to give this a rest btw. I've said what had to be said, and can still stand by it. As long as people critical of the new app can post their opinion without being targeted, that's fine by me.
Happy to give it a rest after being shown for the utter hypocrite you are? How convenient!:8
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Happy to give it a rest after being shown for the utter hypocrite you are? How convenient!:8
No darling, dream on. I'm happy to give it a rest because emotions have cooled down, and it's clear that most of us prefer a respectful debate. Unfortunately that can't be said for all of us.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
That was quite a humorous read this morning. You guys are something else.
All that matters now is what Sonos does with feedback. Will they accept User103951's view that the tabbar is part of the problem and should be scrapped? Or will it remain an integral part of the app, but permanently visible? Shall we all reconvene here when that becomes clear?