Question

Sonos Windows app UI issues

Hi,

The latest update brought some significant UI bugs. When I move mouse over UI controls they disappear (see attached screenshot). It works for all controls including menu and text boxes. Items may reappear if I move mouse very slow. But it’s unpredictable. I tried to reinstall the app with no success. I must mention that I’ve been using the Windows app for quite some time and it was always working fine. I use the latest (fully updated) Windows 10. Please help.

Thanks,
Dmitry

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Just tried this and it seems fine for me.  Windows 10 Version 21H1 and Sonos S2 Version 13.1.4

Have you checked if your Display Driver is up to date?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Sounds very much like a video driver problem, or possibly a WPF issue. Sonos aren’t changing this code at all.

Sounds very much like a video driver problem, or possibly a WPF issue. Sonos aren’t changing this code at all.

Theoretically it can be caused by recent Windows or NVidia drivers updates, but it affects the Sonos app only. If it was a driver problem it would affect other applications too.

Just tried this and it seems fine for me.  Windows 10 Version 21H1 and Sonos S2 Version 13.1.4

Everything is up to date.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Theoretically it can be caused by recent Windows or NVidia drivers updates, but it affects the Sonos app only. If it was a driver problem it would affect other applications too.

Everything is up to date.

Check when the video driver was updated. I am guessing the answer was recently, and you should try rolling it back to the previous version.

That fact that you haven’t noticed other apps misbehaving means little. Sonos use WPF for the UI, and if you don’t run any other WPF apps, or if other WPFs apps use different controls then the repro may well be exclusive to Sonos.

I say again: Sonos are not going to change their UX in the Desktop apps. This is a system-level problem, somewhere.

I say again: Sonos are not going to change their UX in the Desktop apps. This is a system-level problem, somewhere.

I am not asking to change the UX or a technology it’s based on. I’m fine with it. I still can use the app, but it’s definitely not as enjoyable as it was before. I am just reporting a problem I have and want to make sure that devs know about it and fix it in next releases. On the other hand, if I’m the only person facing it, the problem is on my PC.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I think we all appreciate you have a problem but none of the 1000’s of other Sonos users have the same issue otherwise it would be all over this community page.  Then again maybe this is a new one about to hit others.  We’ll soon see.

Reinstall of NVidia drivers solved the problem. Thanks for helping!