Sonos voice and Google communications

• 21 April 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Sound test and voice offerings

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Many years ago I suggested as probably others did too that we had #Sonos system we could use with voice activation. We now have this in place with #Alexa and although it works it is very limited. The introduction of #Google integration would increase the productivity and sales many times over and allow a lot more customisation to the system. Googles servers have advanced far more than Amazons and to see the #Google voice activation included to the #Sonos system it starts a whole new ball game.

I Have 2x Sonos "Alexa" play ones, 2x Sonos play ones and 2x Sonos play 3.

If testing is required I'm more than happy to accept and feedback on #Google allowing voice monitoring and if necesary purchase #GoogleHome to interact with the non Alexa Sonos, again allowing monitoring and feedback on usage/Voice commands.

The sooner we have Google on board and even partially functioning the better our systems will be.

Im holding off on my 7.1 surround system hoping #Sonos can work on a 10.2 system and although expensive it think it will catch on.

Keep up the good work but firstly Google integration is a must and we are ready to test whenever you are ready.

Kind regards

Stephen
Sonos has already indicated that Google integration will occur this year. If you're interested in being a tester, I'd recommend joining the beta program, where I would assume they test things like that once it's ready to be seen and stress tested outside of internal company resources.

As to 7.1 or 10.2 systems, who knows. Sonos tends not to talk about hardware changes before they're ready to start marketing them. I've certainly not seen anything in these forums to indicate that such a thing is being worked on, but who knows. There's certainly been quite a few threads about it over the last several years.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Whilst I welcome the addition of Google assistant soon, I'm not expecting it to have full functionality. As with Alexa, Amazon has not allowed the calling or messaging capability since they believe this would impact sales of their Echo speaker range. Likewise Google may behave in the same way. I hope I'm wrong but don't hold your breath. It would be great to be able to listen to top quality music on my Sonos speakers, then to be able to make a hands free call with crystal clear sound. I hope Google will allow this. I also hope that both Alexa and Google assistant wil operate together and not have to choose only one voice activation as default in the Sonos app. Even without a calling function it will still be great to see Google assistant integration.