Sonos through laptop with no internet

• 2 June 2017
  • 3 replies

First post, be nice!

Recently received my Play:1 speaker and wanted to have a play in the house I've just moved to. Only problem is there's no Wifi yet!

I used my phone as a hotspot to get the speaker and my laptop connected with the ethernet cable too. But as soon as I turned off the hotspot, it all stopped working.

Is there a way to play off the laptop without internet connection? I don't really want to be using my data constantly for streaming music. Obviously if it's no possible, let me know!

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Yes there is, but a WiFi network inside the house is needed for the play 1 unit to play music that is on the HDD of your laptop.
Yes there is, but a WiFi network inside the house is needed for the play 1 unit to play music that is on the HDD of your laptop.

That sounds good to me. I'll just keep an eye on my data usage to make sure it's not using up too much! (would you expect it to, considering i'd be playing music from a local drive?)

Thanks for your quick reply!
Using a local drive, there will be no data usage. Except when Sonos updates are being downloaded occasionally, and of course, if you play music streamed from the net, inadvertently or otherwise.