Sonos Sucks .. App is awful .. so frustrating

• 15 December 2017
  • 41 replies

Userlevel 2
Quit taking our money.. fix it ... what’s the deal?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Can we just agree that Sonos does not do what you think it should do and move on? Sonos isn't for you. Fine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
melvinbe, can I listen to YouTube on Sonos if I have an i device with Airplay 2?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
melvinbe, can I listen to YouTube on Sonos if I have an i device with Airplay 2?

Yes, but only the very newest devices have this capability. Be sure to verify the device has support before you purchase it.

I think only 2 devices support it right now.

Edit: Another option if you have a non-compatible device, but one that has a line in (Connect/Amp/ZP80/100/Play:5) you can get an airplay device (like an Audiocast) and connect that to the line input on your Sonos device and boom. Airplay.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Yes, but only the very newest devices have this capability...The request to listen to YouTube over Sonos must be one of the most requested features over the years - but it's been stated here hundreds of times that splitting the audio and video of YouTube was against YouTube's ToS so was 'never gonna happen'. Have they changed now or just being ignored with the inclusion of AirPlay 2. What happens when the screen of the i device is switched off when streaming from YouTube?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
"Yes, but only the very newest devices have this capability..."
"This capability" = "Airplay target, not explicit Youtube support"

It's not listening to Youtube, it is casting youtube via airplay, those are not the same.

I think the Airplay receiver just ignores the video stream. I play youtube over my BT in the car, I don't know enough to give you a technical answer, but I know you can Airplay Video sources to Audio without an issue. I used to do it at work when I was at a mac shop.

With respect to screen off, I would bet it stops the stream and as a result the feed goes silent, I know that is what my phone does with Youtube/Bluetooth speaker.

I believe the PC is handling the Airplay casting, it casts whatever is set to cast, I don't think (for instance) Youtube/Chrome are "aware" they are being cast to the Airplay target. (the youtube client thinks all playback is local)

You'd have to ask someone else for a technical answer, I am basing my answer on my experiences with BT/AP and Youtube.

I don't use AP frequently at all.

Yes, but only the very newest devices have this capability. Be sure to verify the device has support before you purchase it.

I think only 2 devices support it right now.

4 actually. The link below answers more questions about airplay.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1230?language=en_US

What happens when the screen of the i device is switched off when streaming from YouTube?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by switching off the screen. From my experience, whenever you're using airplay 2, or Bluetooth, your airplay/Bluetooth speakers is acting as an extension of your phone/tablet/tv or whatever. Instead of playing the audio on your phone's speakers, it directs the audio to play on your airplay/Bluetooth speaker. It's not really different then if you plug in headphones to your phone, audio stops on the phone and is directed to your headphones.

So if you're phone/tablet/whatever has a way to minimize the youtube screen and still play audio through it's speakers, then it can also send that audio to airplay/blue tooth speakers. I can't do that on my phone, tablet, or tv, but maybe it's possible on some devices I don't know.

"Yes, but only the very newest devices have this capability..."
"This capability" = "Airplay target, not explicit Youtube support"

It's not listening to Youtube, it is casting youtube via airplay, those are not the same.

Right. And 'casting' doesn't have a definitive definition as far as I understand it. Airplay is casting, same as Bluetooth, and with Google's chromecast (I think). In these cases, the audio/video stream comes into your 1st device, and then 're-streamed' out to the 2nd device you actually want to play the audio or video. If you turn off the first device, or remove it from the network, the steam dies. Then there is Alexacast from Amazon. In this case, you're just passing instructions on what to play from the 1st device to the 2nd device, and the 2nd device streams the audio/video all on it's own. So if you turn off the first device, the 2nd device still plays the stream.

In a way, you can think of Sonos doing casting similar to what Alexacast does. Your first device (controller) is just giving instructions to the 2nd device (speaker). But no one really talks about it that way, so maybe not even a good idea to bring it up.

And as I think about it, I'm really not sure how Google's casting works, and haven't played with it too much. I could be 100% wrong on that part.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Current YouTube options -

1. Stream via Airplay 2 with ios device and a compatible Sonos (newer units)
2. Use ios app SonosTube
3. Use a Sonos with input and add bluetooth/airplay device to

As far as Android/Google more limited right now - we don't know what Google voice support will entail when it arrives in next few months (will it include any chromecast ability to newer speakers). Chromecast can't direct play from YouTube but chromecast on android devices does have ability to work like airplay and send out all the devices audio.

P.S. I love the Sonos app - I enjoy having all services all together as one versus using individual apps.
I think (!) casting is supposed to mean using the iPhone or whatever, as a controller only. This is I believe how chrome cast works. With the audio pulled by the chrome cast device. Similarly with Sonos, the app controls, the system speakers pull. Airplay can work that way, with an ATV for example, where you use a phone as controller, and the ATV, or I believe, HomePod, pull from the internet. Airplay can also though be used where the iPhone etc pull and control and send to a speaker. I use both ways, iPhone to control ATV which sends stream to Sonos, and iPhone to send stream directly to Sonos.

Anyway, that’s my understanding. Hope I haven’t confused things!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You are correct Traveller

Sonos App most services - Casting in that Sonos app tells the speakers to fetch the song direct from source

Sonos App (From this iPhone) - streaming - music comes from device to sonos so controller must remain on with good connection.

Airplay 1 - Streaming - the device actually pulls the song from source and then streams from device to the speaker (flawed in that then the connection to controller can't be broken)

Airplay 2 - BOTH - has ability to in applications fetch and send direct to speakers or stream from the iphone like Airplay 1.

Chromecast - BOTH - very similiar to Airplay 2 in that android devices can stream what they hear or certain apps will have ability to fetch. Example: Google still doesn't allow Youtube to be fetched so you have to stream from the phone Youtube.

Bluetooth - Streaming like Airplay 1 where it uses bluetooth signal vs. wifi.

So Airplay2 and Chromecast at this point are your most flexible in providing ability to fetch or stream depending on need. But then their drawback becomes being device dependent (you have to have ios to stream from Airplay2 or android to stream from Chromecast).

With Airplay 2 now on Sonos - you get the compatibility of sonos with advantages of Airplay 2. Sonos is just missing chromecast - which we have no idea if possible with google voice coming (will it include chromecast?). But it is also easy to add Chromecast to your sonos system by simply adding a chromecast Audio dongle to a Sonos unit with input like a Play:5.
I have one (actually never use chromecast though since we all have iphones).

Highlights again Sonos compatibility with multiple systems is its strength.
Chris, Traveller, thanks for the clarifications and additional info.
And Chris, thanks - once for reassuring me I had it right!, and secondly for clarifying it much more clearly!!