Sonos S2 Will not connect to My Sonos on Catalina

My Mac laptop which is configured with Catalina cannot see the Sonos S2 system I am running, I have removed firewall and changed all privacy and security settings but still no joy. My wife who has a Big Sur computer can see the Sonos S2 system but unfortunatley my company is not upgrading to Big Sur just yet so i am stuck on Catalina with no music. Has anybody got any thoughts on how to fix  it. The company runs Sophos EndPoint as an antivirus that i cannot disable - i am sure that it should not stop Sonos but just saying in case there is a settign in Sophos that needs changing.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

I see you’re in the UK. Any chance you’re also using a BT Smart Hub 2?

There’s still the possibility of this Sophos software blocking access, too, you may want to contact them and ask them if that’s a possibility. It’s not uncommon for those sorts of programs to “block” access to external devices such as Sonos in order to protect from virus infections. They may be able to tell you “oh, sure, just change setting X and it will all work”….or not. It could be either. 

Thanks Airgetlam - I am not on a BT smart Hub - I am using Gigaclear Netgear hub - I actually got my company to provide a key to bypass tamper protection and i turned the sophos protection off for an hour to run tests and that did not work. I think that there must be something in the build that is done using JAMF managment software that is preventing the computer from talking to Sonos but i have now ruled out teh MAC firewall and sophos A/V. The security and privacy settigns look correct. I just don’t know where else to look.

Understood, it was a chance.

I’d certainly recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis.

Thanks for your advice Airgetlam but.. The submit diagnostics option is also greyed out. Not sure what is stopping my computer talkign to the Sonos app properly. Will see if i can get hold of sonos support.

Huh. That suggests that the controller isn’t reaching the software running on the speakers, I think. So yea, your best bet would be to contact Sonos directly. They’ll probably be able to walk through the system with you, and probably resolve the issue. 

I’d be interested if you’d post back here with what you find out. I’m always up for learning new data. :)

I’m experiencing the same exact thing.  We upgraded to Jamf for our MDM and they no longer work.  I should say, if I remove the restrictions profile, turn off firewall, and reboot the machine, then the first time i open Sonos it DOES see Sonos environment.  But if I close it and reopen, i get the same thing.  Now on the other hand, Big Sur OS sees it fine with no issues.  So I think it’s some setting between the firewall, Jamf and Catalina.  

I have this problem on 3 different computers.

The fault seems to lie with Sophos Endpoint Protection. If I uninstall that, the Sonos S2 Controller connects to all the speakers. If I install it again, the app just says it cannot connect. All Macs running 10.5.7

Anyone got a fix or a workaround?

There is already a thread regarding Sophos:

Have you read through it?

I saw that but I am looking after 170 Mac devices on Sophos, I am not to keen on setting exceptions for them all. Plus I have 20+ Sonos speakers on 3 different sites, all experiencing the same problem.

Then your issue is with Sophos, not with Sonos. Perhaps contacting them directly might get you something more.