Sonos S2 app is a pile of garbage

• 21 June 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Have had Sonos for years, they have always been finicky with clumsy software, but the S2 app is an abomination.

Wanted to add a Play One to my system, then out of blue it decides it can no longer find said system. After multiple attempts and resets I was thankfully able to set everything up, and since I use airplay I could then circumvent the horrid app and uninstall it.

Hopefully I won’t have to deal with Sonos software again for a very long time, I was close to trashing everything if it asked me to unplug my router one more time.

Great sounding speakers but Sonos you guys suck at software!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hi.  The Sonos app is just a remote control and blaming it for what are clearly local networking issues means that you will continue to have problems.  The S2 app works fine for me and for the many people I know with Sonos systems.  You might like to contact Sonos Support when you next have a problem to see if you can get things sorted out. 

Note: ‘networking issues’ does not mean your network is faulty - just that your network and Sonos are not functioning well together for some reason.  This can almost always be rectified.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The network issue is a weak bs excuse, the same the Sonos app uses. The network is fine, every smart device in my home works perfectly, even when Sonos kept asking to “unplug the router”. Which solves nothing since it was a Sonos issue. Repeatedly unplugging and replugging all the speakers, uninstalling and reinstalling the Suck2 app, and a bit of luck was the only solution.

You are also wrong about it just being just a controller, you need the app to set up a new speaker on the network, you can’t just plug it in and have it magically work.

Lets not even get started on the disaster that ensues if you have more than one home with a Sonos system and attempt to control them with one account.

The way the Sonos app manages systems is simply terrible. I can’t in good faith recommend this system to anyone. I’m unfortunately deep in and have hoped things would improve over time, but they haven’t.

The network issue is a weak bs excuse, the same the Sonos app uses. The network is fine, every smart device in my home works perfectly, even when Sonos kept asking to “unplug the router”. Which solves nothing since it was a Sonos issue. Repeatedly unplugging and replugging all the speakers, uninstalling and reinstalling the Suck2 app, and a bit of luck was the only solution.

I get why you’re making these assumptions, but that they are still incorrect.  The app is a controller, meaning that it’s used to instruct your speakers what to do, set configurations, etc.    The speakers themselves are doing the work.  If you are having issues, it’s more accurate to say that your S2 system is having trouble, rather than the app itself.

Also, Sonos does not use your network in the same way that other smart devices do, but timing to get audio in sync is key for Sonos, while such things are irrelevant for other smart home devices. 

You are also wrong about it just being just a controller, you need the app to set up a new speaker on the network, you can’t just plug it in and have it magically work.

You need the app to tell the speaker what network to get connected to, what it’s name should be, what music services it should use, etc.  But the point is that during normal operation, the app is not part of the streaming of audio.  But you already know this since you intend to remove the app and use airplay going forward.

Lets not even get started on the disaster that ensues if you have more than one home with a Sonos system and attempt to control them with one account.

The way the Sonos app manages systems is simply terrible. I can’t in good faith recommend this system to anyone. I’m unfortunately deep in and have hoped things would improve over time, but they haven’t.

Your complaints are with the system, not the app itself.

@REDMASTA .  You are completely wrong, as @melvimbe has explained. If these problems were really bad software then we would all be having problems.  But we aren't. 

I have used Sonos for 10 years without problems. I have used it in two homes on one account as well (the app switched seamlessly between the two systems).

But there is clearly no point in trying to persuade you to troubleshoot the underlying issues. Pity, as your system could be as robust as mine.

I get why you’re making these assumptions, but that they are still incorrect.  The app is a controller, meaning that it’s used to instruct your speakers what to do, set configurations, etc.    The speakers themselves are doing the work.  If you are having issues, it’s more accurate to say that your S2 system is having trouble, rather than the app itself.

Also, Sonos does not use your network in the same way that other smart devices do, but timing to get audio in sync is key for Sonos, while such things are irrelevant for other smart home devices. 

You need the app to tell the speaker what network to get connected to, what it’s name should be, what music services it should use, etc.  But the point is that during normal operation, the app is not part of the streaming of audio.  But you already know this since you intend to remove the app and use airplay going forward.

Your complaints are with the system, not the app itself.

But the complaints are misguided, whatever they are aimed at.