SONOS Mac app memory leak

• 15 February 2019
  • 10 replies

The SONOS Mac app v 10.0, build 48261220 has a serious memory leak. Using top -o rsize I find a steady increase in resident memory usage. It starts around 150Mb and grows steadily. I have seen resident size as large as 2.1Gb before I kill it. In 1.5 hours, streaming Pandora, it went from 150Mb to 560Mb. There is a jump in memory use every time a new song played.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Perhaps you might supply Sonos a system diagnostic in order for them to see what you're seeing?
Thanks. I've just done that. Went from 145Mb at startup to 600Mb in under an hour. It's a serious memory leak that competent programmers would avoid. I've had SONOS for over a decade now with 7 rooms with SONOS. Software is substandard.
Might be helpful if you also posted the number here, so that they can find it.

No particular comment either way on the software. It does what I need it to do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
The PC Desktop app uses 43mb for the main app and 5Mb for the Library http server. No idea why the OSX grows to over an order of magnitude more.
I left it running overnight with no activity. Sonos is now using 1.15Gb. This is not professional software!
I'm at a loss to understand your last statement. Has there never been any other professional software company that has shipped a piece of software with a bug in it?
It's been like this for a long time. I've just gotten use to bouncing the app daily lest my computer become unusable. Noticed my Mac was slow while typing this... sure enough, Sonos.app using 12.33 GB of RAM (Sonos Controller for Mac Version 10.0 Build 48261220, macOS 10.14.3). Would be great if they fixed this at long last; has been like this across versions for the last 6 months or so.
Interesting. I've only seen postings in the forum about it in the last couple of days. I would assume that if they're able to reproduce it in the office, it will be "fixed" relatively soon, perhaps in the next release, or possibly the one after that, if the next release is already in the pipe.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
i have this same issue. after using sonos for a few hours in the morning, it's at .8GB as measured by istat. any update on this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yep, it's still gobbling memory. Definitely a memory leak.

Easy workaround, obviously -- just restart the app.; remember that this will not affect playback or the play queue in any way, since that's all driven from the speaker(s).