Answered

Sonos app user access question

• 5 January 2021
  • 5 replies

We are looking to set up a system in an office environment.  We will be providing ceiling speakers in individual offices, and connecting each office to a Port device.  Those Port devices will be controlled by a multichannel amplifier.  The individual users will have control of their speaker through the Sonos app over wifi.  Is there a way to only allow the users access to their Port/speaker, and no others?

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 5 January 2021, 17:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

No, not really.  Sonos is designed for home networks primarily, where everyone in the household has access to the network and can access every speaker.  To control access to each speaker in an office like that, you would need to setup a private network for each office essentially. 

Clearly, this is overkill for what you’re hoping to accomplish, and probably not even this best user experience.  I know it’s low tech, but why not just provide a quality bluetooth speaker in every office?  Users would be able to control without a Sonos app needed, and would not be limited in the content they play, using their favorite services and playlists.  Is there a theft of speaker concern?  Are you wanting to centrally control the speakers at times as well?

The only way would be to set up each ‘system’ as a separate system, so then no one would ‘see’ the others. But then I don’t know how these would be sent through this multichannel amplifier…

Adapting a whole home music system to the complexities of an office environment is not something I’d want to do, it just isn’t designed for that type of use. 

If you are planning to use Ports, where is the amplification coming from?

We a have similar system in our office currently, and we do like to centrally control over all speakers from one source from time to time (broadcast TV, for example)

No concern of theft.  The customer liked what we currently have, and had questions.

The bluetooth idea is interesting though.

Thanks for your input!

If you are planning to use Ports, where is the amplification coming from?

That would be from a multichannel amp, like a Russound D1650