Sonos App for PC keeps shutting down

• 1 November 2020
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi there. My system includes one Sonos Amp + two Play:1 as LS/RS in Living Room, two Play:3 as stereo pair in Bedroom.

Since I have just clean installed Windows 10 on my PC, I need to reinstall Sonos Controller (SonosDesktopController121.exe). Everything works fine, the app finds my existing system, but after that it keeps shutting down within seconds. Every time I start the app it shuts down again. I haven’t had time to do anything with the Controller yet.

I have tried an older version (SonosDesktopController1205.exe) but the symtom remains unchanged.

My Android app still works fine on both Samsung phones.

Any help would be much appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @vinhattieu.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, I totally understand where you're coming from and I’m here to help.

Have you already tried downloading the application directly at Sonos help page.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This has been reported a few times, it is probably the crash in the bitmap handling code when the album artwork is trying to be displayed.

I would suggest checking Windows Update for any .NET Framework pending updates.

I would also suggest to Sonos engineering that they add a try/catch around the code so it is more robust to corrupt bitmaps and/or broken bitmap decoding.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi @vinhattieu.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, I totally understand where you're coming from and I’m here to help.

Have you already tried downloading the application directly at Sonos help page.

Yes, I have. To be more certain I have downloaded it again from the link you provided, but it didn’t solve the problem.

The app asked me whether I want to connect to an existing system or set up a new one. I chose “Existing system” and it reported that the system has been found and connected. Afterwards the appeared for several seconds, then shut down.

I also tried the Sonos App on my wife’s iMac and it worked flawlessly.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @vinhattieu.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

Have you also check @controlav thread regarding Windows Update for any .NET Framework?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi @vinhattieu.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

Have you also check @controlav thread regarding Windows Update for any .NET Framework?

Yes, I have made sure that my Windows 10 had the latest update.

Anyone solved this issue. Have same challenge with Sonos 1 app. Was working in the past. Stops and shutsdown after startup up. System is up to date etc.

Edition    Windows 10 Home
Version    20H2
OS build    19042.630
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

The problem still persists after the latest update (SonosDesktopController122).

Same problem here for months now after Windows Update 2004.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The root cause for this was resolved a few weeks ago on another thread. You have to switch the color profile for your monitor. Windows introduced a regression that blew up the WIC bitmap decoder when non-standard color profiles are selected.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The work-around is described here:

To be clear: this was NOT a Sonos problem, though they didn’t seem terribly interested in investigating it.