Set Different Alarm Volume Levels of Players

• 25 September 2012
  • 32 replies

Userlevel 1
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 10 replies
Basically I am very satisfied with the system. I have a few boxes throughout my house and would like the ability to set an alarm for the different play 3 and play 5 items that I have, but with individual sound levels. At this time the level you set applies to all of the rooms.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Yes! I would love this as well!
Ditto!
Yes and also to choose more then one Speaker at the time. To explain: In the evening I will listen some sort of Music in the Bathroom and my Girlfriend want to listen nothing in the Bedroom. In the Morning we want to wake up with the Sonos in the Bedroom, and want to listen the same Music also in the Bathroom. So I have always to make a Group of the 2 Speakers in the evening (befor bedtime) an always to ungroup it in the afternoon. Pleas add the function to choose multiple Speakers and for every Speaker there one volume in the Alarm Settings. This would be really great 🙂 Thank you
Request supported - the lack of separate volume levels for alarms does away with the supposed elegance of the Sonos solution ... it's a constant morning annoyance
This would be great with the option to choose rooms too
Badge
Andy this is exactly what I'd like as well. I came here to request it, but you've done a great job explaining the use case and user story behind the request. Thanks!!
Yes... please sort this... I have three speakers ... one is in my bathroom on a high shelf... really annoying that I need to increase the volume on this one speaker so I can hear music in the shower
i'm using 11 speakers in an office and desperately need this feature!
Not only would I like to have the ability to configure/set an alarm volume, per component but also the ability to set the volume level per Alarm. AND have the ability to have specific .WAV/.MP3 files played. I suppose I could create a special play list for each type of alarm.
Yes... please sort this... I have three speakers ... one is in my bathroom on a high shelf... really annoying that I need to increase the volume on this one speaker so I can hear music in the shower

Exactly my problem
Yes and also to choose more then one Speaker at the time. To explain: In the evening I will listen some sort of Music in the Bathroom and my Girlfriend want to listen nothing in the Bedroom. In the Morning we want to wake up with the Sonos in the Bedroom, and want to listen the same Music also in the Bathroom. So I have always to make a Group of the 2 Speakers in the evening (befor bedtime) an always to ungroup it in the afternoon. Pleas add the function to choose multiple Speakers and for every Speaker there one volume in the Alarm Settings. This would be really great 🙂 Thank you
I'd like to start radio by alarm on 4 components with different volumes. Grouped Rooms take all the same volume now. Component Play:1 in the bathroom needs volume at 50%, while other Play:3 and :5 components need about 20% volume. Annoying.
Jeg vil MEGET gerne kunne gruppere enkelte Sonos enheder (og ikke alle), når jeg laver alarm. Samtidig ville det selvfølgelig også være dejligt, at man samtidig kan sætte individuel volumen på enhederne.
I need this feature,too. In earlier version it was possible to set different volumes for grouped players and the alarm rembered the volume differences of the players. Why does this no longer work?
Userlevel 1
Two years and this still goes on unfixed?  
Please add multiple volumes to alarms, or add an alarm option that does not change the existing music stream. The second would be the easiest to program and end up with the same results.
Userlevel 1
My request number to support for this problem "Your reference number for this incident is 141201-001546"
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
So ... any further response?
Userlevel 1
Ehh, its Sonos.  Sonos' responses to all my requests is to point out this forum and then drop it.  I followed up anyway and asked to an alarm option that does not set a music source. Multiple alarms would then work for multiple speakers on a single music stream to adjust multiple volumes.  Klunky, but an acceptable work around will very little coding involved.

Please post your support reference numbers to this forum.
5.2 was just released and it also has the same alarm error. 
5.2 also continues to have a security error. It is missing passwords. I don't need everybody with a smartphone and the ability to push two buttons simultaneously connecting to my speakers. 
Would like this feature for our office with different volumes in differens room.
I also would like the possibility to set different volumes in different rooms.
Userlevel 1
I also need this feature - it's ridiculous that you can't specify volume levels for individual speakers in a group when setting up an alarm.  It'll also be a quick-win feature to add for the next release, from a software dev point of view.
Userlevel 1
Please add me to the list of users who needs this function. One recently added Play:1 is so loud, that I am afraid it will damage the speaker. Yet, the other rooms come in at a perfect volume level.
I would also like the volume to be different in grouped rooms for the alarm function
Userlevel 1
I actually fixed this issue myself using a custom script that executes daily at a set time.  

I still strongly believe that SONOS NEED TO FIX THIS ISSUE WITHIN THE APP.

So the problem for me was that I have a bedroom speaker and a bathroom speaker that should both come on with an alarm in the morning.  The bathroom one is way too quiet so needs to be louder when the alarm goes off.  I tried just having 2 separate alarms, one for each speaker that goes off at the same time.  This works, except it means when you turn one of the speakers on manually (e.g. later in the day when you get home from work) the other one does not turn on, because they are no longer grouped.

My solution was to keep my alarm scheduled in the normal way with the grouped speakers, and use a Python script that finds that IP address of the bathroom speaker and sets its volume to the level I want.  It does this 1 minute after the alarm goes off every single morning, basically ensuring that the bathroom volume is always at the desired level (because the alarm going off will make it reduce).  The python script is running on my network hard drive (NAS drive) and I have it scheduled to run as a task every day 1 minute after the sonos alarm goes off.  You could also do this on a PC that is always on in your home, if you have one.

I've been using this solution for about a week and it works really nicely.  I was going to write a blog post about how I set this up and will link to it here when I'm done.  If you're interested, the python library I used is this one - https://github.com/SoCo/SoCo.  I used this library and created a custom script to find the bathroom speaker (using its name on the system) and then setting its volume level.

I realise this is a very technical solution to the problem and probably won't help many people.  But hopefully someone will find it useful. 

Hopefully I'll write a small blog post about how to set this up during this week!
Userlevel 2
Thanks for showing how easily this can be done if you know how to code. Seems that Sonos needs to get hacked before someone maybe wakes up to the continued request for this feature.
Nice one!

But what happens if the bathroom speaker you are adjusting the volume on is not playing at the moment? I'm guessing it will not change any state for the player. I'm just asking since I sometimes turn off my alarm, and I don't want the speakers to start playing or acting up just because I'm adjusting the volume remotely from a script.