S2 problem - Drops my Play:5

S2 problem . The newly downloaded S2 controller keeps dropping my Play:5 device. I can't control the music in my house anymore. I've already been conned into upgrading to the new Play:5  the day before Sonos backtracked  by saying they would support older kit. We also have a Play:3 and that is not a problem. Sonos, I love the system but NOT the customer support. There are so many comments here about the failure of the S2.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Are you looking for assistance?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Gill_2, thanks for reaching out. Regarding your concern about missing or dropping speakers on the Sonos App. I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report for us to further investigate what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue. 

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Confirmation number 24600941.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Gill_2, thanks for the update. Upon checking the diagnostic report that you sent. I’ll ask you to do some troubleshooting steps for this issue.

1. Can you try to power cycle the missing Sonos products?
  2. Have you tried to do Find the missing product on the Sonos App?
  3. What is the color of the lights on the missing Sonos products?

Sorry...I got no notification in my email of your response. This fault is an intermittent fault and we are spending far too much time re-connecting to Sonos. We can usually re-connect using the Find Missing Product but are really fed up that since changing to the S2 controller and dropping our old Bridge device, we cannot control our two products, one of which , the Play:5, was bought recently as a result of your request that we upgrade. Now our system does not work reliably. Not good enough. At the moment. I am trying to reconnect AGAIN and have been advised to use an Ethernet cable! For heavens sake, the whole point of Sonos is that it is wireless.

Another diagnostic report for you.

Badge

I have very similar issues - again with a Sonos 5 on S2 controller (IOS). Periodically the controller cannot find the speaker (even though it is playing music over wifi from Deezer). Or it simply refuses to update the display  to the latest track that is playing.

I had no problems with S1

My diagnostics is 922563726

Thank you

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Gill_2, thanks for the update, I appreciate you taking the time to submit the diagnostic report also on taking the time to do some basic troubleshooting to resolve the issue.   Upon checking, it still shows a controller diagnostic and I can’t see the status of the whole Sonos System. Also, you mentioned about the Sonos bridge, Kindly check this link on Removing the Sonos bridge on the Sonos system. Also this link on Removing Sonos products that are not compatible with Sonos S2 App.

If this won’t still work, I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps. since we cannot get the diagnostic details for your Sonos system.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @kidglove56, Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community. I appreciate you taking the time to submit the diagnostic report. Upon checking, I saw a wireless Interference and Audio dropouts issue on the Play 5 Gen 2 that you have. Kindly check this link about Reducing Wireless Interference and also this link about Audio Dropouts.

Badge

Thanks for the quick reply Simon!

So the interference would be between my iPhone (the controller) and the Sonos 5? The music carried on streaming and there were no audio dropouts.  It was only the “controller” that played up and it had not done so prior the S2.

Having said that I will of course look into what other competing wireless devices are nearby

QUESTION - would a Boost help reduce interference by creating its own Sonos network?

Regards 

Paul

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @kidglove56, thanks for the update, Regarding your question about If a boost would help on this situation, I would say yes, since the main functionality of the Sonos Boost is to create a separate wireless network for Sonos and eliminates interference from other devices so you can listen free from interruptions and dropouts.

Just to add to Simon’s response, most frequently, the interference is between the speaker and your router, since the ‘player’ part of the equation is not on your phone. The phone only becomes a ’player’ when you are using AirPlay 2.

A BOOST / SonosNet network, since it is also a radio network, is not a ‘silver bullet’ solution. It has the same opportunity to be affected by Wi-Fi interference. It does, however, have the significant benefit of removing the streaming from your Wi-Fi network.

Badge

Just to add to Simon’s response, most frequently, the interference is between the speaker and your router, since the ‘player’ part of the equation is not on your phone. The phone only becomes a ’player’ when you are using AirPlay 2.

Thanks Bruce! I get the Airplay 2 bit. However, I have not had any audio dropouts on the Sonos 5.

The only issue I have had is with the iOS app intermittently losing contact with the Play 5 and therefore being unable to control volume etc. I guess though that this still comes back to interference? There are a couple of Tapo smart plugs nearby.

Yes, I would agree. If it’s the phone / controller having issues staying connected, but the speaker isn’t dropping out, then I’d certainly be looking at those type of issues. But that’s a rare circumstance! 

Badge

Just to close this one down (hopefully!). I switched off the wifi on a smart TV that is fixed on the wall about a foot above the Play 5. Since doing this I have had no problems controlling the Play 5 from the Sonos iOS app.

Its a pity to emasculate the TV in this way but at least it looks like the solution.

I was confused as the music itself had never dropped out.

Thank you both for your help!

How many threads are you going to post this on? It’s apparent you have local issues, since there aren’t hundreds of thousands of posts. If S2 was the catastrophe that you state it is for all, there would be thousands of posts here in these forums, from a small percentage of users who bother to come here to seek assistance.

I would encourage you to seek assistance with your issues from Sonos directly. It’s rather evident that the vast majority of S2 users have no issues, or have worked through the problems they have experienced in their local systems. 

Badge

Even as someone who suffered initially I totally agree that S2 is fine.

Since my last post I have also added a Boost. All is completely fine with my Sonos now!

I recently had issues when trying to connect my SONOS speakers to the S2 app (iOS).  Tried everything discussed in this thread and more.  I finally gave up on trying to figure out the problem on my own and contacted SONOS tech support twice.  The second time Jorge helped me out and after much troubleshooting and sending him troubleshoot reports, he decided to look into my Netgear router settings.  It appears that the new S2 app and whatever technology they upgraded the speakers with are not capable or are not compatible with Netgear’s AIRTIME FAIRNESS.  Once Jorge disabled that on my router the speakers and the S2 app started to work as they should. The S2 app could now see all my speakers and no more dropping or disconnects.  So, if you have issues trying to link your speakers to your account or your S2 app dropping speakers, then check your router to see if it has AIRTIME FAIRNESS enabled and DISABLE it.  Hope this helps.