Question

Renaming a speaker

• 4 September 2017
  • 10 replies

How do I rename a speaker ? The helpline says to go into Settings and then Room Settings, but my App doesn't come up with 'Room Settings'.... is there an obvious way ? I've done it before but completely forgotten how !!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

If Room Settings is missing from your app, then either your mobile OS is older and only partially supported, or your hardware and app versions are mismatched because you updated one and not the other. For the latter, check for updates and complete any pending, for the former, check the release notes here for OS requirements:

http://www.sonos.com/en-us/software/release/7-4
I used my phone app and it was easy. Just go to settings >room settings >type in a name or select on listed.
Badge +2
I originally set my new Sonos 1 up in kitchen but wanted to move it to another room. Went to settings>room settings and all it showed was kitchen, no other options to choose, and it wouldn't let me type in a new name.
What device is your controller on? What OS, which version of the app?
Badge +2
Not sure what a "controller" is. As far as OS I have windows 10 on my computer and IOS on my Apple Iphone. Since I just purchased the Sonos 1 today I have whatever version of their app that they gave me.
A controller is the app that you use to control the small computer that exists in the speakers.

Here's how you should be able to do it on the iOS version, since I don't have a Win10 version:

1) Open the app
2) Click on the three dots button at the bottom right of the screen, it says "More" underneath it.
3) Click on Settings
4) Click on Room Settings
5) Click on the room name that you're interested in changing
6) Click on "Room Name" in the lower section of the screen. under the word "Room"
7) At this point, the top line should be the current name of the room, followed by a blinking bar which indicates that you can backspace over what's there, or even just add to it as desired. Below, there's several suggested names that you could click on if it matches what you want.
😎 click on the blue "Done" button in the iOS keyboard
9) Decide whether you want to TruePlay, and tell Sonos if you moved it.
10) Basically, you're done. It will have whatever name you chose to type in, or selected.
Badge +2
Thanks Bruce but I think all that will do is change the name of the room. I have my wifi set up so that the front room wifi router is named "CareyHome" and the back room wifi router is set up as "Megans Room". When we're out in the hut the wifi delivered is "Megans Room." While inside the Sonos is connected to "CareyHome" wifi. Unless I can somehow have two different Wifi addresses to connect to the Sonos will not connect while in the tiki hut.
I know it's not blue tooth but I need it to connect to whatever is the wifi that is offered at any particular time.
Bill
Sorry, I thought you were asking how to change the room name.

What I think you're now saying is that you want to connect it to a separate wifi SSID? I am not sure that there's a significant benefit to doing this, due to the possibility of the controller (a phone or tablet) possibly being on the "other" wifi at any point in time. In the grand scheme of things, the Sonos system is designed to all be one cohesive system, controllable from any connection on the same SSID. Once you start breaking the connection into separate "connections", you will likely run in to issues with controllers, unless you have dedicated hardwired controllers.

But we're moving into an area where I'm much less comfortable in my knowledge, so I'll back off and let others with more knowledge than I continue to assist you.
Please try what I suggested on the other thread. See if it works when wired to the 'old' router that you are using as an extender. If it does (I am not absolutely sure it will, but it's an easy experiment) then you can just pick up a cheap Sonos Bridge on eBay so that you can put the speaker where you want.
Badge +2
Thx, you guys have been so helpful. I called Sonos support and he asked me if the unit might work in the tiki hut as well as the kitchen if we just moved it to "Megans Room" and I realized it can so he helped me switch the router and now the problem is solved. Really appreciate everyones input though.
Bill