Podcasts not showing up on Android/Sonos controler

Userlevel 2
How can I play podcasts from an android phone. I have installed the apps that are supposed to work with Sonos (Pocket Casts and BeyondPod), but I can't get either to work. The Sonos instructions say that the podcasts have to be in the Podcast folder in the root directory. Is that the \storage\sdcard0\Podcasts directory? BeyondPod only lets you choose whether to save the podcasts on the internal or external cards. It does not let you select the directory. Pocket Casts lets you select the directory, but then it puts the podcasts files in a subdirectory of the one chosen. Trying both of these apps and multiple configurations, I still can't get the podcast to show up when I look on "this device".

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

61 replies

Userlevel 2
Hey I am trying to use Podcast Addict and I have done everything to set it up like sonos have writing and I can see the podcast in the sonos App but it dosen't want to play it.
It says it cannot find the server adress??
So not playing what do I do now? I love Sonos but the podcast thing you really laking so much it makes people angry.

Hope you can help me Soon?
My device is a Samsung Galaxy Alpha and I have changed the download folder and all this??
I have been annoyed by this issue as much as you guys. I have a solution which is hardware based, and allows you to continue podcasts that you were listening to in your car, or on the subway, on your Sonos when you are home. It requires that you have a Play 5 upon which you're not already utilizing the line-in.

The solution is to add a Chromecast Audio (https://store.google.com/product/chromecast_audio) to your system. It's a pretty modestly priced item, currently selling for $35 on the Google Play Store.

First, connect the Chromecast Audio to the unused line-in on your Play 5. Then simply use PocketCast, or whatever Podcast app you are already using. When you are in your home, open the Sonos app, and select the line-in that you've connected the Chromecast Music. Next, open up your podcast app, and cast it to the Chromecast Audio, and you're good to go.

I realize that not everyone has a Play 5, or those that do have one are possibly already utilizing the line-in, but for those like me that weren't in either of those positions, it's a pretty simple way to make the Sonos a lot more usable for listening to Podcasts on your Android or iOS device. Or I guess your Windows or Blackberry phone, if you're still that guy.

And as a bonus, once you start interacting with your Sonos in this way, you realize that it has many advantages to using the Sonos App. You just use the Spotify app on your phone or tablet, which is just more feature rich than the integration with the Sonos App is. You're no longer limited to whatever is integrated to Sonos directly; any service or means of playing audio on your phone or tablet is now available to you on your Sonos, and you never have to worry that Spotify or Audible or PocketCast is going to release a new version that makes those services broken on Sonos. As long as it plays on your phone or tablet, it plays on Sonos.
Piling on to this discussion, but with the caveat that I USED TO be able to play all my podcasts just fine, but now the updated episodes are not showing up in "on this device" even though i can see them just fine in podcast addict. All I can see are a set of previously stored podcasts, none of the new ones.

I assume it is either my android update or my sonos update but I wondered if anyone else has had this problem. I've deleted the app and reinstalled it and none of the new episodes have been added to the storage folder, which seems even weirder to me.
Userlevel 1
Badge
yeah, the chromecast solution seems to be the best...
sonos, why not let developers implement direct casting to sonos speakers into their apps (just like you did with google play music!)
that would be the solution to not annoy customers. - i want to use the app/ui i prefer and not the **** sonos one...
cheers
what about a user survey?
I've used BeyondPod for over a year, and started back when it used to be 'supported' on Sonos. Apparently, now it isn't (which isn't surprising, since it never really worked well on Sonos). I'm considering switching to PocketCasts, but it sounds like that won't work much better.

I can get the Sonos controller to 'see' my podcasts downloaded by BeyondPod (by switching the download directory and enabling playing in 3P apps - no problems with sub-directories or anything). But the Sonos controller is only able to see file names, many of which are gibberish. So it's impossible to tell which episode I'm trying to play. And there's no good way to access playlists or any of the useful features that BeyondPod offers like SmartPlay.

My ideal scenario would be for a podcasting app to 'cast' the audio stream to Sonos speakers, just like you can cast to your TV with Chromecast. (I actually can cast from BeyondPod to my TV and then play the audio through Sonos with the PlayBar, but it is a pain to have to turn on the TV to make this all work.)

Google Music can 'cast' directly to Sonos speakers and lets me manage Sonos audio through their app - this is a great implementation. Can we get the same from a podcast app? This seems like it would be better for Sonos too, as you wouldn't have to deal with supporting all of these podcast management features like correctly reading metadata. Just let us use an app that already manages podcasts well, and stay out of the way.

I can see podcasts from beyondpod after rebooting the phone and re scanning from the sonos app. The reboot may be the only thing needed!

Download SD Scanner (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gmail.jerickson314.sdscanner&hl=en). Run it everytime you have downloaded a new podcast, then open Sonos and it should show up. I am wondering why Sonos can't implement this in the app, so it scans the library everytime you access the podcast directory in the Sonos app.
I'm on Android 7, using latest versions of BeyondPod (paid version) and Sonos apps. To get Podcasts to show in the Sonos app:

Open BeyondPod
Go to Settings
Click on the three dots in the top right and select "Advanced Settings"
Scroll down to Playlist Settings, and check "Episodes Visible in Music Player"

Downloaded Podcasts should now be available in the Sonos app (you may need to restart apps or mobile to get it all to sync up for the first time).

More info, for those that are interested:
Sonos uses the built in Android music discovery method, and at some point in Androids history this has changed from being folder based to...something else, which is why Podcasts downloaded don't automatically show any more in Sonos. For some users this would be annoying, as their podcasts would be mixed in with their music albums, which is why most Podcast apps don't do this automatically.
Thanks Conradj. Unfortunately it does not apply Podcast Addict unfortunately. Best, B
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Podcast addict suddenly works!!! My Sony Experia Z5 went through a system upgrade a few days ago. I wonder if that is what has caused the improvement!

So I just went to my phone, sonos app, on this mobile device. And suddenly I am can see and play podcasts.
I've used BeyondPod for over a year, and started back when it used to be 'supported' on Sonos. Apparently, now it isn't (which isn't surprising, since it never really worked well on Sonos). I'm considering switching to PocketCasts, but it sounds like that won't work much better.

I can get the Sonos controller to 'see' my podcasts downloaded by BeyondPod (by switching the download directory and enabling playing in 3P apps - no problems with sub-directories or anything). But the Sonos controller is only able to see file names, many of which are gibberish. So it's impossible to tell which episode I'm trying to play. And there's no good way to access playlists or any of the useful features that BeyondPod offers like SmartPlay.

My ideal scenario would be for a podcasting app to 'cast' the audio stream to Sonos speakers, just like you can cast to your TV with Chromecast. (I actually can cast from BeyondPod to my TV and then play the audio through Sonos with the PlayBar, but it is a pain to have to turn on the TV to make this all work.)

Google Music can 'cast' directly to Sonos speakers and lets me manage Sonos audio through their app - this is a great implementation. Can we get the same from a podcast app? This seems like it would be better for Sonos too, as you wouldn't have to deal with supporting all of these podcast management features like correctly reading metadata. Just let us use an app that already manages podcasts well, and stay out of the way.

I can see podcasts from beyondpod after rebooting the phone and re scanning from the sonos app. The reboot may be the only thing needed!

Download SD Scanner (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gmail.jerickson314.sdscanner&hl=en). Run it everytime you have downloaded a new podcast, then open Sonos and it should show up. I am wondering why Sonos can't implement this in the app, so it scans the library everytime you access the podcast directory in the Sonos app.

The SD scanner option worked for me. I can now see my BeyondPod podcasts in Sonos. Thank you!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Wow - the SD Scanner app works....

It's somewhat ridiculous this functionality isn't part of the Sonos app.
SD Scanner worked for me too and I've been working on this for ages... Thanks

Agreed should be part of the Sonos app:(