play 3 does not connect nor does it reset

• 7 September 2014
  • 10 replies

I have a play 3 and a bridge. I used to be able to use both., though from time to time I would see both systems getting kicked off and I would have to re-add them However for the past 2 weeka the play 3 has stopped connecting. It has a solid white light on at all times but I am unable to get it to connect to the network anymore. The Bridge is working fine. Here are all the things I have tried. 1. Connecting the play 3 directly to bridge. Nothing changes. In fact the indicator lights on the back of the bridge seem to show that the Play 3 is not using the Ethernet cable at all. I have made sure its plugged in. 2.,connecting the play 3 directly to router. Same thing. I don't have lights on my router, but I use a cable that I know works and when I plug that to Play 3 it still doesn't work. 3. Factory resetting the play 3. Holding down the play/pause button, as it boots, makes no difference. The light stays at solid white and yet I am not able to connect 4.,resetting my android controller -no change I can add and remove the Bridge any number of times but I am unable to add the Play3 5. The only thing I have not tried is resetting the system via the desktop controller.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi Arjun, may sound simple but can you unplug all used devices including router for at least 30 seconds to 1 minute. Plug in router first and let it boot up fully. Then add your devices one by one. Can you let us know if this works please. Thanks Stephen
Userlevel 1
Badge
Can you try this. A factory reset is not normally recommended as you have to set up again, but currently this sound like an option before sending a diagnostic report. Wire the Play 3 directly to the router with a working Ethernet cable. Disconnect the router and the Play 3 from the power mains power in a safe manner, wait around 1 minute then reconnect the router. *****Press and hold the play/pause/Mute button whilst re-connecting to the power to the play 3, Keep holding until the Light starts to flash amber, then release*****. The light should flash white/green, you should now be able to use the controller to add the sonos play 3. Please let us know the outcome Thanks Stephen
How long should I hold it down while waiting for it to flash?
No change. I tried this exactly 1. Connected Play3 to router directly. Then turned both off for 10minutes 2. Turned router on and let it boot up properly 3. Held down the play/pause button on Play 3. Then switched the power to Play3 on 4.The Play3 came on with a steady white light even as I held down the play/pause button 5. I held the button down and counted slowly to 100. No change.
Userlevel 1
Badge
If you leave it plugged into your router, check on your Android controller under settings then advanced settings, have a look for the tick box next to the "Connect to Sonosnet" and untick it. What version is your controller, this can also be found under settings, then about my sonos system. Hope this helps. Keep us informed
Userlevel 1
Badge
"When performing a factory reset on a Sonos unit the white light should become amber after 30 - 40 seconds. If it does not flash amber it mean it is not being factory reset" If you still have issues please contact www.sonos.com/support Hopefully you will have it sorted before hand. Sorry if I could not help you on this occasion
Dear Stephen:

Absolutely nothing is working, and I am slowly getting upset. I am picking up two things from our conversation which if they are not true I would appreciate if you could correct

1. You think this is really **my** problem. Beyond a point nobody at Sonos cares if I have the Play3 is a brick or not
2. You don't really know what is wrong, and you are walking me through all the basic steps one by one. 

When are we going to conclude that nothing is working? At this rate it could take 2 more weekends!

You haven't said any of these things, but I want you to know that this is the impression I am forming.  I am incredibly short of time, and it seems like I spend most of my weekends slowly going through this with you over email. 

Extremely disappointed with the whole experience. For such a high end system, I expected better product stability and customer service. 
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi Arjun As I said before If you leave it plugged into your router, check on your Android controller under settings then advanced settings, have a look for the tick box next to the "Connect to Sonosnet" and untick it. What version is your controller, this can also be found under settings, then about my sonos system. I then said to contact support which I presumed you had as nothing had been posted for over 2 weeks. If you submit a diagnostic report complete the form with the diagnostic number and / or call the support line they will be able to see your internal configuration. *Again, as I said, after not hearing for 2 weeks I presumed you done this and the system was working. Please do this now and you will more than likely get the result you are looking for. I hope you get something fixed. Stephen.
Just as a public service, I had the same problem with my play 3. All forms of re-booting and factory resetting had no effect. However, what did solve the problem was going into the controller app (ipad), going to advanced settings, and changing the default wifi channel (in my case, from channel 11 to channel 6). I could then re-add the player.
Worked a treat, thanks.