Phone call

• 10 December 2016
  • 15 replies

Any possibility to have an optionnal switch to mute the Sonos music when the iphone rings and is answered.

The volume controls are not accessible when the iphone rings and I have to run ouside the house to answer the phone with a customer on the line...

Would it be possible to have a switch to auto mute the Sonos when I answer a phone call?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 2
This is a good idea. I don't know about Android, but iOS has the ability for apps to detect when there's an incoming/outgoing call, and when that call has ended. It would be a nice idea to have a settings switch which allows the user to turn this behaviour on or off. I know part of the sales pitch for Sonos is that your music isn't interrupted by notifications, but ... for calls it can be desirable.

I work from home a lot, and I also use Sonos in the office, so I would find this beneficial too... as long as it automatically checks for 'do not disturb' and the phone's mute switch, because if either of those features are on, it means I don't care about the call.

Might be an idea to move this post to the Controllers & Software section.
How would the phone decide which player to mute when a call comes in? Would that have to be configured? If several players are grouped would it mute just the designated player or the entire group? Seems like the design might get a little complicated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It's a request that has been asked a number of times. So we know it is in "the hopper" but whether it will ever see the light of day is moot.
Userlevel 2
How would the phone decide which player to mute when a call comes in?

That's the point, it's not the phone deciding, it's the Sonos Controller app making all the decisions, and that app already has all the information. iOS has an API which allows the Sonos app to detect inbound and outbound calls... since that app *already* knows which players its controlling music for, it simply mutes them.

Again, it's not the phone making the decisions, it's the Sonos app responding to events happening on the phone.

Seems like the design might get a little complicated.

Not if it's limited (by necessity) to a very common usage scenario. People who want that feature would just have to ensure they were using their phone as the controller, which let's face it, they probably are anyway.
I hate this idea, hope it never happens. Reminds me too much of dreadful experiences with BlueTooth before the Sonos system. Nightmarish. If you need to turn the volume down to answer the phone, you're probably damaging your hearing by listening way too loud anyway.
I hate this idea, hope it never happens. Reminds me too much of dreadful experiences with BlueTooth before the Sonos system. Nightmarish. If you need to turn the volume down to answer the phone, you're probably damaging your hearing by listening way too loud anyway.

You never figured out how to turn off notifications? Anyway I agree with you for differet reason. Are people really making/receiving that many calls that thIs is a big deal? Isnt the trend towards messaging and much fewer calls?
Useless for people that no one wants to call 🙂

You never figured out how to turn off notifications?

I want to hear the notifications, they're necessary to my job and social life, but on my phone, definitely not through the stereo. One of many reasons Sonos blows Bluetooth away. Please don't add ANY of the noises my phone makes to my stereo system, or mute it for phone calls!
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I use the Yonomi app to mute my sonos when a call comes in. Works great for me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I use my fingers

I use my fingers

That made me LOL wish i could give it more than one upvote.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I use my fingers

Don't quit the day job
How would the phone decide which player to mute when a call comes in?

That's the point, it's not the phone deciding, it's the Sonos Controller app making all the decisions, and that app already has all the information. iOS has an API which allows the Sonos app to detect inbound and outbound calls... since that app *already* knows which players its controlling music for, it simply mutes them.

Again, it's not the phone making the decisions, it's the Sonos app responding to events happening on the phone.

Seems like the design might get a little complicated.

Not if it's limited (by necessity) to a very common usage scenario. People who want that feature would just have to ensure they were using their phone as the controller, which let's face it, they probably are anyway.

Still not following you. The Sonos app knows what zones are playing but it doesn't know which zone the phone is currently in so which one does it mute? If 4 people are playing different music in 4 different rooms some of them are going to be annoyed when your phone rings and their music stops. Likewise if you have the same music plying in 4 rooms that are grouped together there is no reason to mute the whole group, just the room that the phone is in. It is easy to do what you want with a land line phone system because the phone in a given room mutes the player in that room and I do that all the time. I just don't see how you match a mobile phone to a particular room so the music mutes in the right place.
Perhaps the solution is to make the app easier access when taking a call. My android S7 hss the app (widget?) In the notification area. i would be happy to simply pause the sound quickly before answering. Making options for a floating, accessible widget to use play, pause and volume would be fine.
Any possibility to have an optionnal switch to mute the Sonos music when the iphone rings and is answered.

The volume controls are not accessible when the iphone rings and I have to run ouside the house to answer the phone with a customer on the line...

Would it be possible to have a switch to auto mute the Sonos when I answer a phone call?

Download Macronos In google play store and in the settings there is an option to pause or turn down Sonos speakers while on phone.