Answered

Non Apple Trueplay

Sonos get your act together. No trueplay except for some Apple products and no android ones. You can’t sort this out? Really? This is a big do not buy Sonos issue. I registered just to say this, do not think it will do any good or even be posted but I feel better having done so. You choose to do this for your own reasons.

icon

Best answer by bockersjv 16 July 2020, 12:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Wow, what a welcoming first post!  Why so angry?

There are a few posts explaining this but basically Sonos needs to calibrate with the Microphone in the device for Trueplay to work correctly.  Apple have a comparatively small number of phones and Sonos can update each release year, which normally happens a month or two after the new releases.  Apple uses the same or similar mic technology across the phones and ipads, and the form factors only change every 4 years or so.  Adjusting for the limited number of new models is not too onerous a task.

Android on the other hand is available of 100’s if not 1000’s of different phones and tablets all with different mic placements and manufacturers.  It would be impossible to calibrate them all.

If you don’t have an iOS device get a friend or family member who has one to let you use their phone to run Trueplay in each room.  Once performed it can be turned on and off without the need for an iPhone and will only need re-doing if you move your speakers about. 

Sonos as a company can’t afford to verify even the most popular android devices? I do not believe this. Sonos have chosen not to do this. Angry? you bet I am… a shed load of Sonos  products that I can’t even tune to the room.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Sonos get your act together. No trueplay except for some Apple products and no android ones. You can’t sort this out? Really? This is a big do not buy Sonos issue. I registered just to say this, do not think it will do any good or even be posted but I feel better having done so. You choose to do this for your own reasons.

Did you borrow an IOS device to run Trueplay?

If so, did you notice that big a difference with and without Trueplay enabled?

Although I do hear a difference with Trueplay on or off, it’s not huge for most of my rooms/speakers, and the sound is certainly not unpleasant with Trueplay disabled. But I accept that I may be lucky with the acoustics in my rooms. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The way forward is probably to have trueplay mics within the speakers, as the move has.  Can’t see the cost model for a standalone device, even if it was a mic plug in as it’s not a frequent operation to justify even a relatively small price.

I have found Trueplay to be of most use in a room with a Sub.  Makes the sound far better IMHO.

However given the insults being thrown at Sonos I have no doubt that they will soon have a development team straight on the case.:thinking:

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I’ve tried Trueplay on a couple of occasions in a couple of different settings.  It was a waste of time and made no improvement.  You’re missing nothing!

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

For most of Sonos' existence, Trueplay didn't exist. 

But, for most of Sonos’ Home Theatre products existence Trueplay did exist :grinning:

Most HT systems would have some kind of calibration setup, normally a supplied microphone that plugs directly into the AV receiver or soundbar to ensure each speaker SPL and delay from the listeners seated position.

Sonos as a company can’t afford to verify even the most popular android devices? I do not believe this. Sonos have chosen not to do this. Angry? you bet I am… a shed load of Sonos  products that I can’t even tune to the room.

My understanding is there is hardware inconsistencies even between devices of the same brand and model.   Picking a few of the most popular is a bigger job that you’d think and would not stop complaints from all those who think their phone is popular enough.

For goodness sake Sonos sell your own room tuning device we all can use, You need to sort this. I feel an idiot having bought your products and will certainly let my feelings be known to friends.

I would be for this, but not sure it’d be as practical as you’d think.  It would have be able to communicate with your phone or speaker via bluetooth or WiFi.  It would like need to be batter operated so it could be move around the room.  That would probably put the cost at maybe $50?   A bit of money for a one time/limited use.  Especially if you  just want to trueplay a single speaker.  Maybe it would work, maybe not, not sure.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

My understanding is there is hardware inconsistencies even between devices of the same brand and model.   

I've seen this posted and reposted here but no source that I can find. Do you have a source for this that references Pixel or Galaxy devices? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Not specific to the models you mention but worth a read:

https://acousticstoday.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Faber.pdf

The testing performed with the Android apps also showed high variability in measurements across different devices. Even on iOS, with a much larger assortment of sound meter apps, an app may indicate a sound level, but it may not be measuring or calculating that sound level with any reasonable degree of accuracy.

This presents a more daunting challenge for developers of Android apps because so many smartphone manufacturers offer so many different devices with potentially modified versions of the Android operating system.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Not specific to the models you mention but worth a read:

https://acousticstoday.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Faber.pdf

The testing performed with the Android apps also showed high variability in measurements across different devices. Even on iOS, with a much larger assortment of sound meter apps, an app may indicate a sound level, but it may not be measuring or calculating that sound level with any reasonable degree of accuracy.

This presents a more daunting challenge for developers of Android apps because so many smartphone manufacturers offer so many different devices with potentially modified versions of the Android operating system.

Thanks. It's an interesting article that speaks to the difficulty of sound calibration in both iOS and Android which I don't think is in question here, at least by me. But it doesn't really talk about different hardware on same model phone afaict which is what I was asking the source for. If I've missed the point please let me know 😉

But this is a good article nonetheless. 

It's interesting that the article shows that even on iOS different apps get different results in terms of sound measurements. The article mentions ios6, I wonder if it has improved? 

I've seen this posted and reposted here but no source that I can find. Do you have a source for this that references Pixel or Galaxy devices? 

17 models of the Samsung Galaxy 6, for example, suggesting different hardware being built into.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I would also expect 2 models of the same phone would yield different results, based on the amount of ‘pocket dust’ the microphones had collected from their respective owners. ie a brand new model X would give a different result to the same model X that had been in someone else’s pocket for 6 months.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

17 models of the Samsung Galaxy 6, for example, suggesting different hardware being built into.

I'm not sure the total varient is the issue. For exI IPadpro 12.9 inch 2020 model there are 16 different varients so pretty similar numbers. You can Google and add them up. 

Similar #s for all the different iPads and iphones that Sonos happily supports.... while providing a grand total of 0 truplay for Android. 

But my question was for a source on the argument that there are many many different microphones in use on the same vatient of android device. Maybe it's true, is there a source, interested to read it.

The article linked above is interesting because it says you will get different results with the same model phone.